Wiki Posts
Search

Best Radio and ESC

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 12:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Default Best Radio and ESC

Alright, I'm an oval racer, and lately, theres been a lot of talk about which radio is the "fastest": The 4PKS, The M11X or the EX-10 Euros.

I own a 4PK, I've always liked Futaba products and have always run them. What I'd like is to hear from the folks who have tried at least 2 of the 3, or preferably all of them, and hear some input and opinions on that subject. And please, if you have only run one of them, dont bother posting anything. I'd like some true, real life, factual comparisons.

And I'd really like to hear the same thing as far as the ESC's go, because thats been an issue since the start of this brushless fiasco. Theres the Tekin RS/RS Pro, Novak Kinetic, LRP SXX Stock Spec ver. 2, the KO BMC, the Speedpassion, mamba max pro, Viper, etc. Has anyone tested several of these and found one to really be any faster than the next?
Old 03-14-2011, 12:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I recantly upgraded to the M11x from the DX3s and i will never go back to Spektrum the only thing i changed was the transmitter and the car is easier to drive , i have more steering and I am more consistant

As for Speedo about 6 months ago i would have said the TekinRS but i bought a Speed Passion GT2.0 because i wanted to run modified in my Touring car and all i can say is the Speed passion is smoother than the tekin and runs a lot cooler then the Tekin on boosted 13.5 theat i have run over the winter
Old 03-14-2011, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Sorry, I shouldve mentioned we are running 17.5 2 cell with boost.

Ive heard the M11X is the fastest one out there right now, but its probably the most uncomfortable radio next to the Spektrum. A buddy switched to a KO recently and swears it's faster than his 4PK, but I know you onroad guys turn both directions, and a lot more than us oval guys do, lol.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:34 PM
Tech Elite

Most of the oval drivers that I see, use the M11. But for me, that radio has more bells and whistles that I'll ever use. On top of that, it's heavy to hold for long periods of time. If you can overlook that issue, then it's the better radio.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:37 PM
Tech Master

m11x currently has the fastest response time(2.5-5.4ms), then DX3R(5.5ms), then KO EX-10(8ms). Futaba 4pk is up there, but I have not found the response times officially listed anywhere. I saw a chart once that listed it between 6ms and 10ms

I wouldn't think it would matter too much doing oval. It would be more noticeable with quick left to right transitions.

Of course you would also need a very fast digital servo to make use of the speed
Old 03-14-2011, 03:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

The average human reaction speed is about 200ms. I just can't see how a 5ms radio can have that much appreciable difference over a 10ms radio. I know a lot of people say they can tell the difference, but I think a lot of it is a placebo-type effect. You get a fancy new radio that is marketed as being faster, and your brain (consciously or subconsciously) wants to believe that it's helping. That said, I don't doubt that getting a different radio can help to make someone faster, I just think there are many more factors to it besides the latency of the signal.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:58 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by simplechamp
The average human reaction speed is about 200ms. I just can't see how a 5ms radio can have that much appreciable difference over a 10ms radio. I know a lot of people say they can tell the difference, but I think a lot of it is a placebo-type effect. You get a fancy new radio that is marketed as being faster, and your brain (consciously or subconsciously) wants to believe that it's helping. That said, I don't doubt that getting a different radio can help to make someone faster, I just think there are many more factors to it besides the latency of the signal.
It's not so much that you are reacting, but rather initiating, so a faster response time is noticeable. You feel more connected because everything you do happens near instantaneously.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:49 PM
Tech Addict

It isn't really a matter of how fast the radio is, but how stable / even it is. It doesn't matter if a radio has a best respons time 2ms, if it fluctuates widely all over the place. The more stable the responsetime, the easier the car is to control / the more connected you feel to the car.

The M11x is not only one of the fastest radios out there - it is also one of the most stable regarding response time.

But beside that - I really love my M11x. It is near as heavy as the M11, it feels great and I feel very connected to my car with this. I used a Futaba 3PK with Spektrum module before, which I was happy with. But I decided to try this, and I won't ever switch back.