Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree300Likes

Team Associated TC4

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 12:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Anyone have a good TC4 setup for USVTA ?

Thanks !
Old 02-09-2009, 12:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Here is my birds set-up, very easy to drive ... on carpet.

http://www.rcactionpics.com/trash/20...wbirds2009.pdf
Old 02-18-2009, 02:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

just got my used tc4, took it apart because I noticed some horrible grinding in the drivetrain, the diffs feel bad, but more than that the drivetrain is binding and gritty with no wheels or motor.

diff gears look fine, is there some flashing from molding process that need to be removed that's grinding away at the diff cases? Would the diff casing being over-tightened cause this?

Took it apart, blasted the whole car out with compressed air and removed all the damn carpet fibers from the drivetrain as it was a carpet racer, but it feels incredibly gritty to me
Old 02-18-2009, 03:05 AM
Tech Regular

also I'm trying to set this car up for outdoor asphalt VTA, looking at what pinion and spur I need to get for a 4.2 FDR with a 21.5 BL/ lipo setup.

I found a tamiya 42t/43t pinion kit on TH, but will that mesh with the stock 72t spur (should make a 4.286 fdr)?

Is there a way to get that ratio with 64p gears? I'd prefer to run them for the extra smoothness (if I can ever work the grittiness out of the diffs!).

a 96/56 would give me 4.286 frd also, are the PRS touring spur gears found on the bottom of this page -
http://ashfordhobby.com/detail.aspx?ID=4389

compatible with the tc4 setup?

Thanks for any pointers

Last edited by Blind; 02-18-2009 at 03:24 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Blind
just got my used tc4, took it apart because I noticed some horrible grinding in the drivetrain, the diffs feel bad, but more than that the drivetrain is binding and gritty with no wheels or motor.

diff gears look fine, is there some flashing from molding process that need to be removed that's grinding away at the diff cases? Would the diff casing being over-tightened cause this?

Took it apart, blasted the whole car out with compressed air and removed all the damn carpet fibers from the drivetrain as it was a carpet racer, but it feels incredibly gritty to me
It could be the diff bearings. I would suggest getting them replaced. And maybe the drive pinion and diff gear, just in case. There should be no grittyness in the drive shaft or diffs.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I don't believe 96/56 will be able to mesh with 64p. The cam for adjusting the motor won't move far enough to the left. I would recommend 80/47 (4.26). You will probably still have to Dremel down the area on the chassis that is right beneath the pinion gear to keep it from grinding on the chassis.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:40 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Foxxrocket
It could be the diff bearings. I would suggest getting them replaced. And maybe the drive pinion and diff gear, just in case. There should be no grittyness in the drive shaft or diffs.
the diffs spin smoothly on their bearings with the driveshaft/cvd's and pinions removed and the diff casings apart (so the diffs just sittings in the bottom of the casing)

it's when I drop in the pinion gears and bolt the diff casing together it gets crunchy, so I think it has to do with the mesh of the gears, or the gears hitting something in the case, but I can't really see any signs of that...
Old 02-18-2009, 06:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Rojna
Here is my birds set-up, very easy to drive ... on carpet.

http://www.rcactionpics.com/trash/20...wbirds2009.pdf
Thanks for the setup sheet. I am giong to try it next week. One question I haveis on the camber. why do most guys run positive camber? I would think negative (tire leaning in) would be better to get the tire to flatten the contact patch inthe corners. I ah\\have yet to run my car in VTA so I am trying to learn all I can. One setup I put on it had 2 degrees positive camber but that made the tires look bowlegged because they leaned out so far. Any guidance on the camber would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 02-18-2009, 06:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Foxxrocket
There is a lot a slop in my steering link to the steering rack. Is there anything, or way I can tighten it up?
Same on mine, anyone got any ideas how to fix it?

Thanks
Old 02-18-2009, 07:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Part Timer
... why do most guys run positive camber?
I have never seen anybody run positive camber You will always run zero or negative ( top of tire leaning inside ).

I guess not puting the - before the 1 threw you off ...
Old 02-18-2009, 09:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Part Timer
Same on mine, anyone got any ideas how to fix it?

Thanks
I did a search on this thread and found if you put shims under the neck of the steering bellcrank, and swing rack pivot posts, it takes away alot of the slop. It seems to work, because I have vary little slop in my steering rack.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:16 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Rojna
I have never seen anybody run positive camber You will always run zero or negative ( top of tire leaning inside ).

I guess not puting the - before the 1 threw you off ...
Thanks,

I couldn't figure out why you would run positive. I guess it is from my days doing alignments in a Pontiac/Cadillac dealership. I had a teacher in auto school tell us the way to remember camber and caster is the out house theory. "You have to go out back to get a positive reaction"

Thanks again
Old 02-19-2009, 02:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Blind
the diffs spin smoothly on their bearings with the driveshaft/cvd's and pinions removed and the diff casings apart (so the diffs just sittings in the bottom of the casing)

it's when I drop in the pinion gears and bolt the diff casing together it gets crunchy, so I think it has to do with the mesh of the gears, or the gears hitting something in the case, but I can't really see any signs of that...
too many shims causing the gears to bind?
Old 02-19-2009, 08:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

sup fellas, to those of u who run this car. with the same equipment, will this car hold up against the tc5, cyclone (budget model), and t2s???

want to get a car in the next month or so. i know im not gonna be the top dog. but there are guys around here that can flat out drive. no matter the equipment
Old 02-19-2009, 09:42 PM
Tech Elite

If you can drive, yes. I've even seen some experts driver the older TC3. So, your limited only to your driving abillity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.