R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-05-2004, 03:17 PM   #1336
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Neil,,,how much front toe are you running? are you on carpet?

that oversteering has alot to do with your set-up,
Team Associated | Reedy | Orca
jzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 03:25 PM   #1337
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to Neil

I am running close to zero degrees front toe. Running red springs up front blue in back, 5mm of ride hight. The shocks are on the first hole in front and the third hole in the rear. I'm running slightly more droop in the front than the rear. Everything else is set stock from the manual. Im running a monster stock motor, Takeoff 22's and a protoform Nemesis body. Oh yea I'm running on new carpet.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 03:27 PM   #1338
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Roberto Falcon

JDM_DOHC_SiR i sent you a pm, havent heard from you ????
Old 11-05-2004, 03:31 PM   #1339
Tech Fanatic

Neil,,,,,are you using any traction compound on the tires?
Old 11-05-2004, 03:35 PM   #1340
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by LoSi xXx S
JDM_DOHC_SiR i sent you a pm, havent heard from you ????
PM sent
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 03:37 PM   #1341
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to Neil

Quote:
Originally posted by jzone
Neil,,,,,are you using any traction compound on the tires?
Hey I pm'ed you as not to clutter up the thread.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 03:45 PM   #1342
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Speedo, yes it must have been rushed.

Most of my ball studs were bad, spring was bend, thick diffs, sloppy per instruction building, no cvd shims, sloppy steering rack, and very weak designed arms.

With all the competition out there these days you would think AE would get it perfected before releaseing it. Then you call them and everything is just fine. There unwilling to admit to needed fixes and part tweaking is unparalleled. Call them they will tell you your the only one to ever call about the issue.

I may get a pro 4. HPI will admit to needed fixes.
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 03:48 PM   #1343
Tech Fanatic

back at you Neil
Old 11-05-2004, 05:44 PM   #1344
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've never built an Associated kit before this one as soon as it was released.... but this kit doesn't seem to be totally refined.

I mean... I was advised to bust out the dremel in the kit instructions

I had little pieces here and there that required filing down in order to get them to fit... thankfully none of them were pieces where the fit was all that important.

Perhaps it *was* rushed a bit... which isn't surprising being that it's almost christmas time.

I ended up sending Tony a list of the problems I had with the build... hopefully they can release version 1.1 of the kit pretty soon.

Does Associated do any kind of beta testing... where they would have non-professionals (or non-sponsored racers) build their kits and give them feedback? That's pretty common in other industries (like mine... mobile phones).

Had they sent kits to 10 or 20 people in this thread 6 weeks ago they could have gotten all this feedback already and had a smoother public debut for the car.
Bob Nilsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 05:47 PM   #1345
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to myclod Send a message via Yahoo to myclod

wait i seem to remember bad diffs and arms when the HPI POO 4 came out too
myclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 06:31 PM   #1346
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Yes, but HPI came out saying it was an...

issue and they always offer to replace parts. AE's has never offered to replace bad ball studs, no nothing, other than diff gears. Only if you have the receipt? How many other manufactures make diff gears like AE? In fact, I was told the ball studs are fine. Interesting, considering they have never seen mine, but I was quickly told they are ok. After the response I got from AE tech help, forget it. All they do is deny and offer little concern. The tech guy told NO one has complained about any of the parts. Ok... Eough said, I know what I'll do. I can't believe the people that think it's all ok. Just follow the heardsman. Baaa... If they are bad and offer a future fix, I'm happy with that, but don't tell me they are fine when I'm the one holding the parts.
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 06:45 PM   #1347
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to dasupacat

I'm really suprised at the comments about the "build" of this car. The slop, defective parts, etc. I used to own a TC3 & B4 and never had a prob. with the build or quality of parts. I really thought bout' getting a TC4, but I'm glad I held off.
dasupacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 06:54 PM   #1348
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Diff Problems

The diff ring gears are too thick in the middle area where the bearing and 3/32" diff balls go. The diff balls can't do their job for proper diff action.

I did a thickness or depth measurement at 0.090" for these new white gears in the TC4 kit. I checked like 5 or 6 hobby shops in the area to get the older dark gray colored ones and nobody has them anymore. I did have one gray one laying around from a TC3 and it measured at 0.087" A diff ball 3/32" is exactly 0.09375" so you can see the difference between ball and gear cross section of the older gray ones. I put the gray one in the back diff and it is much much better.

I tried 2 white gears bought in a hobby shop that were individually packaged and not part of a kit that probably was sitting for months and same thing: too thick. We can order replacements under warranty but I think we will get the exact same things sent out, but I will try anyways. Call Don at 714.850.9342 x124 to complain and get replacements.

I think the proper way the diff should have been in the TC4 kit is aluminum outdrives, d-rings, Tamiya type thrust bearing assembly that you don't have to build, and bolt and locknut and ring gear that has round diff ball holes that allow the ball to fall through in either direction and is thin enough to allow proper diff action.

The rest of the kit is fine, pretty free suspension and other parts.

My Outdated R/C Car collection:
Associated B44, Associated NTC3, Tamiya TRF415, TRF415 MSX MRE, TRF416X
190mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 07:23 PM   #1349

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

The best way to fix the diff rings would be to find a cylender with a flat top that is the same diameter as the inner portion of the diff gear. You could then cut and glue a piece of sandpaper to the top of it, and use it to sand the diff gear down slightly. A drill press would do a much easier job of this
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 07:30 PM   #1350
Tech Apprentice

Default TC4 rear shock tower

Does anyone know where I can get a TC4 Rear Shock Tower?

I would like to try it out on my tc3.

Thanks

Joe
powerpark2 is offline   Reply With Quote