R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-23-2014, 01:42 AM   #12691
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,646
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile

You ran a 5.5t motor at 4.58 fdr ....wow..... It should have been at least 7.1 fdr....ouch.... Hope your electronics are fine... By the way, your tc4 can beat the new xrays, tc6.1, etc... You'll just need the right setup, and a free steering rack....
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthFloridaApp View Post
Is there a comthat makes a 48 pitch spur gear with less than 66 teeth?

I raced at a large outdoor track today with about a 140-150 ft. straightaway. When I put in my 17.5 motor with a 31 tooth pinion it was too slow. I grinded my chassis hoping to fit a 45 tooth pinion, but it would not fit. I was able to get a 36 tooth pinion to fit, but the car is way too too slow.... Is there another option as to gearing...maybe installing another type of pitch... if so what would be a direct fit?

As a result of this I installed a 5.5 turn motor and used a 36 tooth pinion with a 66 tooth spur. The car was very very fast..... The problem that I had was heat. The motor temperature was at 162 and the car would stop after four minutes unless I was very very careful... I was not running a fan and want to get one. I have no clue as to what to get, but like the idea of a motor fan that has a circular mounting system that goes over the motor... I want a very dependable system that won't come undone.. Any suggestions... I looked at the Castle system, but guys said the fan blades break... FYI I am now running a Hobbywing Justock and the max motor for that esc is a 8.5 turn motor. I would like to use my 17.5 and gear appropriately, but am open to other options.... Lastly, any recommedations for cleaning and using tire additives for an outdoor asphalt track. I am using rubber slicks.......... FYI I was amazed at how a $85 car handled... Purchased a good used roller...with blue springs... I had a big smile on my face.... Still got my butt kicked by experienced racers with xrays and tc 6.1 etc.. but they were better drivers for sure.... I could see myself beating some of them in the near future...
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:11 AM   #12692
Tech Addict
 
moparSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGee911 View Post
UPDATE:
I looked into it more, and decided to get new drive cups. After comparing the new to the old ones, I realized that they are not the same. I bought this chassis used, and it seems that the original owner was a little challenged with this chassis. Many things were assembled incorrectly and stripped screws everywhere. The brace that holds the bearing near the rear drive cup was upside down (when I got it, not after I rebuilt it) and he ran it that way.
Anyhow, the drive cups were bigger than the intended cups for the tc4. Reassembled, and everything seems to be working. I still get a minute vibration on the shaft, but not enough to worry about.
Those would be TC3 cups which use a bigger ball size.

The stock shaft is good for 100mph+ speed runs You dont need anything else
__________________
2014 IFMAR Warm-Up Pics >>> www.rcactionpics.com <<<

Check it out >>> www.RaceVTA.com <<<
moparSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:50 AM   #12693
Tech Master
 
IndyRC_Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 1,709
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGee911 View Post
UPDATE:
I looked into it more, and decided to get new drive cups. After comparing the new to the old ones, I realized that they are not the same. I bought this chassis used, and it seems that the original owner was a little challenged with this chassis. Many things were assembled incorrectly and stripped screws everywhere. The brace that holds the bearing near the rear drive cup was upside down (when I got it, not after I rebuilt it) and he ran it that way.
Anyhow, the drive cups were bigger than the intended cups for the tc4. Reassembled, and everything seems to be working. I still get a minute vibration on the shaft, but not enough to worry about.
Thanks for the update. With the TC3 input cups and a TC4 drive shaft, that totally explains the slop/movement. I'm sure the car was making an interesting sound when the drive shaft was rotating.
__________________
I'm currently racing VTA. Check here for rules/info: http://www.usvintagetransam.com/
IndyRC_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:11 PM   #12694
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Chico CA
Posts: 36
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I just bought my first TC4. I had a traxxas 4tec (nitro and electric) before this. So, on my first run I broke both front CDV axles. Also, seems pretty hard to keep straight and spins out very easily. I think it must have came with some carpet tires or something, because they came apart way too easy as well. Any suggestions? I'm sure some of these questions have been answered already, but this is a huge thread. Anybody have a parts stock they want to get rid of?
6stringslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:29 AM   #12695
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 28
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

If anyone is interested in my TC4 rally build, here it is: My TC4 Rally Car Build
ColeGartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:11 AM   #12696
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 235
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Factory team tc4 carbon fiber edition

Anyone have one they would like to sell?
Pm me. I'm looking for one.
winstoncup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:38 PM   #12697
Tech Master
 
jkach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Dekalb, IL.
Posts: 1,452
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

I'm going to be building a VTA using the TC4, My question is will the HPI 1968 camero body which is a 200mm body fit and look right on the TC4? Or is there a better choice for a camero body? Thanks in advance.
__________________
SC10.2
jkach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:21 PM   #12698
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: St Albert AB. CA
Posts: 1,276
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkach View Post
I'm going to be building a VTA using the TC4, My question is will the HPI 1968 camero body which is a 200mm body fit and look right on the TC4? Or is there a better choice for a camero body? Thanks in advance.
HPI body is a good fit, I had to trim the front foam bumper ( modified TC3 bumper which is much wider than the TC4) slightly to get clearance. VTA rear tires are wider than the front and are 6mm offset to fit the rear fender flares. Good luck, post pictures when your done........
THEBIGBULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:27 AM   #12699
Tech Master
 
jkach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Dekalb, IL.
Posts: 1,452
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBIGBULL View Post
HPI body is a good fit, I had to trim the front foam bumper ( modified TC3 bumper which is much wider than the TC4) slightly to get clearance. VTA rear tires are wider than the front and are 6mm offset to fit the rear fender flares. Good luck, post pictures when your done........
Thanks, Will do
__________________
SC10.2
jkach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:34 PM   #12700
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Miami Beach
Posts: 607
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6stringslider View Post
I just bought my first TC4. I had a traxxas 4tec (nitro and electric) before this. So, on my first run I broke both front CDV axles. Also, seems pretty hard to keep straight and spins out very easily. I think it must have came with some carpet tires or something, because they came apart way too easy as well. Any suggestions? I'm sure some of these questions have been answered already, but this is a huge thread. Anybody have a parts stock they want to get rid of?
My car was wondering on the straight so I added a bit of toe out on the front wheels. ..about one degee and that fixed my problem...
SouthFloridaApp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:33 PM   #12701
Tech Regular
 
gooba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: grimes,ia
Posts: 470
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Ok I need an explanation. I have what would be considered a "team" tc4 its all carbon minus the rear shock tower and has every lite weight option available. Ready to race it weighs in at 1364 grams. My other tc4 is a stone stock club racer except for a front ball diff. Ready to race it weighs in at 1417 grams. Shouldn't there be a bigger difference in the weight? I went to Carbon not for weight but handling but I was also under the impression it was also much lighter. am I wrong in this or is the club racer not as chubby as the older cars?
__________________
I spend money I don't have on parts I don't need to beat people I don't know
gooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:38 PM   #12702
Tech Master
 
jkach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Dekalb, IL.
Posts: 1,452
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Ok TC4 will be here tomorrow, Who has a good starting setup for parking lot VTA?
__________________
SC10.2
jkach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:54 PM   #12703
Tech Elite
 
DesertRat's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sniffin the 'Sauce Fumes
Posts: 2,377
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkach View Post
Ok TC4 will be here tomorrow, Who has a good starting setup for parking lot VTA?
Not to be facetious, but start with the bone stock kit setup. Manufacturers actually put some time and effort into their recommended settings.
__________________
I race toy cars for fun. If I need to explain, you'll never understand.
If everything is under control... go faster.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
It is obvious and intuitive to the most casual of observers that RC racing is better than golf.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:58 PM   #12704
Tech Master
 
jkach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Dekalb, IL.
Posts: 1,452
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Not to be facetious, but start with the bone stock kit setup. Manufacturers actually put some time and effort into their recommended settings.
Sounds good, New to this onroad side. Just want to be close. Thanks
__________________
SC10.2
jkach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:30 PM   #12705
Tech Regular
 
gooba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: grimes,ia
Posts: 470
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

The stock tc4 setup is actually pretty good. It needs a bit of Dremel work in the battery tray to fit square lipo packs and underneath the motor mount to fit anything over a 35t pinion. Also it's really helpful to take all the bearings out pull the seals out,clean the grease out(I use motor spray) and re lube them with good bearing lube.(marvel mystery oil works well too) then put them back in the car. You'll be amazed how much freer the car is.
__________________
I spend money I don't have on parts I don't need to beat people I don't know
gooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Team Losi XXXS G+ with parts!! Team Orion V2 Hitec 5625 cola R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 9 06-18-2008 08:11 PM
BATTERIES - Team Orion 4200 SHO Team Cells (6 cell) packs................... For Sale 2-Bad Australia For Sale/Trade 0 03-21-2008 02:16 AM
New Items for Sale Tamiya F103gt Chassis Kit, Team Much More CTX-D, Novak, Team Orion Tsquare R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 14 04-17-2007 08:29 PM
>>> BRAND STINKING NEW NEVER RAN TEAM JAMMIN FACTORY TEAM FTE RACING BUGGY <<<< mach51 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 01-25-2007 09:13 PM
F/S Team Associated Factory Team RC18T with Mamba Comp X Brushless and Extras ZeroCool101 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 7 01-07-2006 01:54 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:28 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0