R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-06-2014, 09:15 PM   #12616
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

@emaculant if your running brushed mod grab a tc4 manual(on associateds website) it still has gearing suggestions for brushed motors or read through the first hundred or so pages of this thread. Back when the tc4 first came out mod tc was THE class. there is a ton of info about it in this thread
Old 06-06-2014, 11:31 PM   #12617
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile

Even brushed 7turn motors ran 8.4fdr or around there in the old days, but that was with nimh packs , which are more forgiving than lipo..... I would recommend 8.57 to 9.0 fdr for outdoors small track like jackson Rc, but if the track is bigger than that, you can try 8.1 fdr or so...... Also, you will need the strongest fan you can get , and time your runs(nothing over six Minutes)........ Personally, I use a motor freezer(Crazy Rc motor freezer) on my brushed 7t motor, but I will only run it on carpet mod events where it has a chance to compete.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaculant View Post
HMM so the higher the number the lower the FDR? So I should go for a larger pinion? It's a brushed mod motor.
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #12618
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Well guys, last year I started racing TC for the first time, USVTA to be specific, and ran the TC4. Loved it. Very competitive. Top 3 most of the time. I thought shaft drive was the way to go.

But I have seen (and driven) the light.

I finally got to race my TC6.1 in USVTA last night. It has F/R gear diffs. It drives soo much smoother than my TC4 with so much less setup time that I'm a convert to the more modern belt drive cars. I will always keep a TC4 around as a backup or fun car, but the TC6 platform is the new hotness for me.

Keep up the good info in here as I will still check in and offer help as an owner and former driver.

Carolinas R/C Track Directory - https://sites.google.com/site/carolinasrctracklocator/
DarthRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:34 PM   #12619
Tech Regular

@darthracer what was your laptime difference between the 2 cars? Im a diehard shaft guy and ive been eyeing the new tamiya evo 6 but everytime I see a tc6 it gives me naughty thoughts but I got turned off on belts along time ago and Ive yet to be convinced to switch back
Old 06-07-2014, 04:54 PM   #12620
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooba View Post
@darthracer what was your laptime difference between the 2 cars? Im a diehard shaft guy and ive been eyeing the new tamiya evo 6 but everytime I see a tc6 it gives me naughty thoughts but I got turned off on belts along time ago and Ive yet to be convinced to switch back
I gained about a half second on my average lap times. I always felt that I was really powering the TC4 through turns and had it setup to push to make it easier to drive. The TC6 feels like gliding through turns and was more precise and predictable. I always had one of the better handling and faster TC4s but it was time for me to move on.

Carolinas R/C Track Directory - https://sites.google.com/site/carolinasrctracklocator/
Old 06-07-2014, 11:27 PM   #12621
Tech Champion

Smile

Did your tc4 include any upgrades, or was it basically stock ??? I am still upgrading mine, and it keeps getting faster and faster.. I hope to set TQ next carpet season eventhough I run a Novak 17.5t motor.....????
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthRacer View Post
I gained about a half second on my average lap times. I always felt that I was really powering the TC4 through turns and had it setup to push to make it easier to drive. The TC6 feels like gliding through turns and was more precise and predictable. I always had one of the better handling and faster TC4s but it was time for me to move on.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:11 PM   #12622
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AudioStylz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthRacer View Post
Well guys, last year I started racing TC for the first time, USVTA to be specific, and ran the TC4. Loved it. Very competitive. Top 3 most of the time. I thought shaft drive was the way to go.

But I have seen (and driven) the light.

I finally got to race my TC6.1 in USVTA last night. It has F/R gear diffs. It drives soo much smoother than my TC4 with so much less setup time that I'm a convert to the more modern belt drive cars. I will always keep a TC4 around as a backup or fun car, but the TC6 platform is the new hotness for me.

Keep up the good info in here as I will still check in and offer help as an owner and former driver.
I know what you mean about the TC6 being smoother. I picked up a 1st gen TC6 as a roller with USGT body, HiTec servo ($60 street price), and a bunch of spare parts for $100. I have my TC6 setup for USGT and absolutely love how it handles. I run a TC3 primarily for VTA with a TC4 being setup for VTA to possibly replace the TC3 but running my TC6 has me really thinking about picking up another TC6 for VTA!

Really thinking about selling my TC4 (built but never run) so I can fund the idea of getting another TC6.

Last edited by AudioStylz; 06-08-2014 at 02:22 PM.
AudioStylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:27 PM   #12623
Tech Champion

Smile

I don't know if you guys had experienced this before, but my tc4 rearend does not step out at all when I use an oil based traction compound(sxt 2.0) versus a watery compound(sxt 3.0, Red dot,etc...)... Maybe that's only true on asphalt, and not on carpet... I'll need to test it on carpet too...
Old 06-10-2014, 04:00 PM   #12624
Tech Regular

I didn't get to drive a tc6 however one of my coworkers brought in his X-ray t4 last night and I have to say I was impressed the car handles incredible and was fast. However I felt my tc4 accelerated harder and I could feel the difference in the shaft versus belt drive. Chassis wise yes If I was a more serious racer I would race a newer chassis however it'd be a Shaft drive tamiya or awesomatix as I just don't think u can beat shaft drive
Old 06-11-2014, 12:05 AM   #12625
Tech Champion

Cool

I am set on proving the advantage of shaft drive over belt drive this coming carpet season, and hope to have it on video..... The acceleration, higher gearing possibilities, and lower CG with such a heavy tc4 chassis(lighter lipo pack required), make me confident I'm close to proving it.... The next big thing I was hoping for was lower shocktowers & short shock kit from diggity designs, but I guess the tc4 can't have it all... The tamiya tb evo6 is on the right path for sure in that respect; hopefully Marc Rheinard will wheel One instead of the 418....
Old 06-11-2014, 11:25 AM   #12626
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
Did your tc4 include any upgrades, or was it basically stock ??? I am still upgrading mine, and it keeps getting faster and faster.. I hope to set TQ next carpet season eventhough I run a Novak 17.5t motor.....????
I have some sensible upgrades.

V2 shock caps / bladders
F/R aluminum hinge pin holders so I can set the roll centers
F/R sway bars
Some FT screws and shock holders
RPM ball ends

My TC4 is going to be a drifting chassis soon.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:41 AM   #12627
Tech Champion

Good upgrades...... Hope you'll keep Racing the tc4 though...
Old 06-11-2014, 11:53 AM   #12628
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
Good upgrades...... Hope you'll keep Racing the tc4 though...
I actually have 2 TC4s. I really still like the chassis. Simple and easy to work on. One will be a drifter and the other is currently my USVTA backup car, that is, until I decide I need a USGT car.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:29 PM   #12629
Tech Champion

Smile

The more tc4's, the better ! Usvta, Usgt, 17.5t, 13.5t, mod, etc..... The Car has won in most of the classes since 2005, and it will keep on winning if racers find the sweet spot... Lots of bashers drive the tc4 because it's cheap, but they don't bother with setups.....
Old 06-11-2014, 02:12 PM   #12630
Tech Regular

I'll agree with you Bert to a point. I also think shaft drive is the way to go however as much as I love my tc4 it just isn't top of the heap anymore. The new cars have better sway bars,new geometries, less weight, chassis designed to take advantage of new smaller electronics. That being said I will campaign my 2 as long as I can still get parts