R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-02-2004, 12:30 AM   #1246
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Differential Ring Gear Problem

Hey Tony,

Can you confirm with the guys on this new White TC Diff Ring Gear and Pinion Gear set (Part# 3914) that replaced the TC3 grey ones that there might be a molding problem:

I can't get the TC4 diffs to work anything close to the correct diff action with the recommended 1/2 turn out from tightened position or even a few turns out for that matter. It is a problem with the thickness of the center area where the diff balls reside.

The picture of the older grey ring and pinion is below and has the same part number so it is completely replaced with the newer white smoother plastic material (which I imagine is harder smoother stuff)

3/32" Diff Ball = 0.09375"

I measured the White Diff RIng Gear Center Section as 0.090"

I had a grey one laying around from my previous TC3 and that measures at 0.087" and allows the diff to work properly when I assembled the TC4 diff as per instructions. I think a few others complained about it. We just need to know if the problem will be fixed as the same white ones will be sent out as replacements when you list the AE replacement procedures again.

You can't have a difference of only 3 thousands of inch for the diff ball to ring gear difference to allow the diff to work properly with all this plastic molded stuff all tightened up I think there is some rubbing going on the outer edges of the Diff Rings or composite halfs. It could cause a melted diff if things are that tight with the white gear materials.

My Outdated R/C Car collection:
Associated B44, Associated NTC3, Tamiya TRF415, TRF415 MSX MRE, TRF416X

Last edited by 190mph; 11-02-2004 at 12:36 AM.
190mph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 12:56 AM   #1247
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

John, as I posted a couple pages back (this thread adds posts like wildfire), if you're diff feels wrong and you think it is your gear, call us at 714.850.9342 x124 and talk to Don. As long as you have a receipt of purchase, we will (up to Don, of course) replace the defective gears, free of charge. This is ONLY for thick gears....not ones you've broken the teeth off of!!!!!
CompetitionX.com
R Sector / F1 Paint Labs
TPhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 02:45 AM   #1248
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Tony Phalen......thanks for responding to my question about posting some of the factory guys set-up sheets from the worlds....funny how people can think that the "only" set-up worth trying is the one from the highest qualifing car.....some people don't realise that at the worlds the margin between the A and the D was almost nothing......laptimes were nearly identical also......on another note, I ran the TC-4 in modified (with the swaybars) for the first time on sunday and the lap times were already (with no real tuning) 1 to 2 tenths faster than my previous modified FT chassis TC-3......One question: The TC-4 swaybar kits I was lucky enough to get over at the worlds were the ones without directions, they're working fine on the car.....but I was just wondering if the directions they'll be comming with had specific ways to adjust the new mount, or if it's just a how to install them type deal.........thanks

1/10 Scale: Associated B-5(rear motor)...Tekin RSX Gen-2 W/8.5t... Savox SC-1258-TG Servo
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 05:38 AM   #1249
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default I can see why a team driver could get....

frustrated with the car. Sloppy rear hubs and arms? The kit should be much better out of the box and it's no excuse on AE's part. I don't understand why they would release a kit per instructions leaving it in such a sloppy condition. I'm not impressed! They could at least address it instead of 'Say nothing' and it will go away, then later release a new part in silence. I would have more respect for the company if they addressed the issues openly.
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 05:50 AM   #1250
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to Grindog001
Default Worlds Cars

are ther any pictures available of close up shots of the TC4s at the worlds.?
Grindog001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 06:31 AM   #1251
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to SirSpeedy Send a message via AIM to SirSpeedy Send a message via Yahoo to SirSpeedy

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe B
....funny how people can think that the "only" set-up worth trying is the one from the highest qualifing car.....some people don't realise that at the worlds the margin between the A and the D was almost nothing......laptimes were nearly identical also.....

What are you talking about? The spread from TQ time to the 15th place time was nearly a lap in each round of qualifying. TQ pace laptimes were 12.5's, tailing off to 12.9's. A 20th place run in a round would be 12.8's, tailing to 13.2-3's. This is a huge spread in times for world class drivers.

Also to Edward,

The only Losi car I saw break in 6 rounds of qualifiying was Dave Spashett in the first round when a car spun in from of him coming around the loop. There may have been some other minor issues. And as far as team work, Losi and Tamiya by far did the best team work. Losi's cars were so bad on Wednesday, they admitted getting some cars in the C main would be great. They all got together, especially MF, Spashett, Lemieux, and Gray.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:29 AM   #1252
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe B
Tony Phalen......thanks for responding to my question about posting some of the factory guys set-up sheets from the worlds....funny how people can think that the "only" set-up worth trying is the one from the highest qualifing car.....some people don't realise that at the worlds the margin between the A and the D was almost nothing......laptimes were nearly identical also......on another note, I ran the TC-4 in modified (with the swaybars) for the first time on sunday and the lap times were already (with no real tuning) 1 to 2 tenths faster than my previous modified FT chassis TC-3......One question: The TC-4 swaybar kits I was lucky enough to get over at the worlds were the ones without directions, they're working fine on the car.....but I was just wondering if the directions they'll be comming with had specific ways to adjust the new mount, or if it's just a how to install them type deal.........thanks
The future tuning guide will address the adjustment. I will also have some 'Racer's Tips' on the new anti-roll bars on my site soon, as well as AE's site.

Quote:
Originally posted by RCknight
frustrated with the car. Sloppy rear hubs and arms? The kit should be much better out of the box and it's no excuse on AE's part. I don't understand why they would release a kit per instructions leaving it in such a sloppy condition. I'm not impressed! They could at least address it instead of 'Say nothing' and it will go away, then later release a new part in silence. I would have more respect for the company if they addressed the issues openly.
RCknight: I don't think we did any SILENT releasing....if you read a few posts back (maybe a couple pages now), I announced that if you feel your part is defective, CALL US! We will be happy to replace the defective part (if we feel it is defective and you have a receipt of purchase). The number is 714.850.9342, x124. What better way to 'address' it than to come on a board where 15,000+ people visit daily, and have the potential to buy our car? Please, if you feel your part is defective, call us.
CompetitionX.com
R Sector / F1 Paint Labs
Old 11-02-2004, 07:37 AM   #1253
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SirSpeedy
[B]What are you talking about? The spread from TQ time to the 15th place time was nearly a lap in each round of qualifying. TQ pace laptimes were 12.5's, tailing off to 12.9's. A 20th place run in a round would be 12.8's, tailing to 13.2-3's. This is a huge spread in times for world class drivers.

Finally somebody said this !!!
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 09:06 AM   #1254
jsp
Tech Regular

Edward2003: I was in the pits with the A team at the Worlds. I saw team meetings although I didn't participate. Brent and Torrance were very helpful getting info to all the drivers. I saw Craig Drescher run well late in qualifying. I talked with him in great detail about his set up. The top AE drivers only had their TC4's for a few weeks, so this event was very early in the development/ learning curve. Info was easily exchanged. Yes driver's were going in different direction early, but that was part of the learning process. Now as far as one driver saying he would throw his car where the sun don't shine, I didn't hear it. There was one well known driver that was upset but I didn't hear the details.
john
jsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 10:51 AM   #1255
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by jsp
Edward2003: The top AE drivers only had their TC4's for a few weeks, so this event was very early in the development/ learning curve. Info was easily exchanged. Yes driver's were going in different direction early, but that was part of the learning process. Now as far as one driver saying he would throw his car where the sun don't shine, I didn't hear it. There was one well known driver that was upset but I didn't hear the details.
john
I would totally agree. Everyone needed to learn the car, and what little things do to the handling. This car has so many things you can change. And little changes are alot more noticeable than on the tc3.
Once you get a good path going you can stray alitte each way and fine tune to each drivers liking.

Walter
walterhenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 11:20 AM   #1256
R/C Tech Founder

I just gotta say, SirSpeedy your signature rips. One-run cars are for me!
Old 11-02-2004, 11:28 AM   #1257
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

I thought you were talking about ordering a BJ...

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 02:16 PM   #1258
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Thumbs up

walter call me
jason cheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 06:56 AM   #1259
Tech Adept

Anyone that is running the new aluminum blocks have any issues with the arm running into the lower diff case while using blocks 2.5 and 2.0? It appears that the more toe you take out the closer the pins and arm gets to the diff case and will rub.
Matteucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 07:24 AM   #1260
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by mabucci
Anyone that is running the new aluminum blocks have any issues with the arm running into the lower diff case while using blocks 2.5 and 2.0? It appears that the more toe you take out the closer the pins and arm gets to the diff case and will rub.
There should be a supplement in the aluminum arm mount bag to tell you how to fix that....
CompetitionX.com
R Sector / F1 Paint Labs