R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-30-2014, 12:23 PM   #12526
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Finally building my FT TC4 for asphalt mod any advice for the high power output for the diff?
Emaculant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:56 PM   #12527
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile

The diff in the rear only(spool in front) can handle any of the current mod motors. I prefer the 3.5t boosted for the Fttc4 with titanium driveshaft or CF.... Just my opinion though....
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:05 PM   #12528
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Cool, What grease? I've heard about the dog bone issue is there an alternative other than the LCD from losi? Because in the states there non existing.
Emaculant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:17 PM   #12529
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

There are some chinese front one way cvds on ebay but I dont know that I trust them. I switched my car to Lightweight aluminum ball diffs in both ends of my car and lightweight cvds and havent looked back
Old 04-30-2014, 03:03 PM   #12530
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I have the older FT TC4 dual deck carbon fiber car
I never saw a spool (is this the same as a one way?) Never saw one
what does it do?
Tekin, JConcepts, TEKNO RC, AVID Bearings, Schelle Racing Products, DialedRC Hobbies formerly (VP Pro USA), MAXAMPS, Kal Gard Lubricants, Tresrey USA, Panther RC, Sweep Racing USA, Team INTEGY, Hy-Traction Juice, Fioroni, SMC Batteries
boudin4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:04 PM   #12531
Tech Regular

The spool locks both front(or rear) tires together and eliminates any diff action at all. It essentially helps pull the car out of corners harder but also causes cvd chatter
Old 04-30-2014, 05:19 PM   #12532
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

CVD's chatter even with a front diff, you just cant see it because the diff action prevents actual joint noise. CVD's are generally a bad design unless your total angle of steering is going to be less than 20 degrees, a true cardan joint is what you want, and now come standard on some touring cars.
It is obvious and intuitive to the most casual of observers that RC racing is better than golf.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:50 PM   #12533
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Taking a step back and sold my 6.1 and selling my TC5s..

Anyways going to run a TC4 and have been trolling around the thread. I have some hop up stuff (Ti cvds, whip racing shaft etc.). What are guys doing to the chassis? I thought I read that they were taking the center spline out and drilling holes in key areas. Also looking for asphalt set ups. Going to run in 17.5 (FLOW, Fantom shorty and motor) also running TC5 shocks.

Pumped to be going back to basics!!
TC7|TC6TEK|12R5.2|10R5.1
Logi Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:07 PM   #12534
Tech Regular

If you want a flexy car milling down the center spine and dremeling the wings seems to be the hot ticket. If you want light and stiff(my personal choice) AE still makes most of the carbon parts for the car(not carbon fiber) drilling holes is to save weight with the stock plastic parts and isnt necessary on the carbon or if you can find it carbon fiber chassis
Old 05-03-2014, 07:54 PM   #12535
Tech Champion

Smile

Correct..... Also Ray K. used a light weight lipo shorty pack in 21.5 usgt to win it all, and added weight to the chassis(lowering the CG) to make weight... His Car didn't seem slower than the other racers using bigger packs at the End of the main, and he almost lapped the Field....
Lighter pack = lower CG & not much voltage loss.... it's the way to go.....
I also shaved Off the huge motor heatsink on the motor mount(per Ray K) and glued all the other stuff(wires,fan,caps,etc...) on the chassis..... The battery wires also need to be secured with zipties....

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 05-03-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:39 PM   #12536
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

I'm tearing down my car in an attempt to solve a few few issues, and I have to ask... has anybody found a solution to excessive play in the steering? It seems to be holding my car back as the play in the bellcranks and plastic cross link is terrible. Thanks, Team Associated, for riding plastic-on-plastic, no bearings. Maybe I'll bolt in an aluminum TC3 style sliding rack, which I guess is more commonly referenced to as an M5 or A700 sliding rack these days.

Basically my plan is to get this car to a Stage 2, which is when you've run the car for a while and do a full teardown to apply some of the more invasive mods and changes that you learned about while racing. It's a Diggity car so I'm going to narrow down the chassis to try to fix the chassis drag, and the car also seemed to want to take a tweak when I flexed the chassis by hand so while it's apart I need to give that a shot. Might be the top deck. Hopefully my end result will be pretty okay.

I got my mill going, finally, so now the impossible is now merely difficult and time-consuming.
It is obvious and intuitive to the most casual of observers that RC racing is better than golf.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:50 PM   #12537
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Current pics would be nice too!!!
TC7|TC6TEK|12R5.2|10R5.1
Logi Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:58 PM   #12538
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
I'm tearing down my car in an attempt to solve a few few issues, and I have to ask... has anybody found a solution to excessive play in the steering? It seems to be holding my car back as the play in the bellcranks and plastic cross link is terrible. Thanks, Team Associated, for riding plastic-on-plastic, no bearings. Maybe I'll bolt in an aluminum TC3 style sliding rack, which I guess is more commonly referenced to as an M5 or A700 sliding rack these days.

Basically my plan is to get this car to a Stage 2, which is when you've run the car for a while and do a full teardown to apply some of the more invasive mods and changes that you learned about while racing. It's a Diggity car so I'm going to narrow down the chassis to try to fix the chassis drag, and the car also seemed to want to take a tweak when I flexed the chassis by hand so while it's apart I need to give that a shot. Might be the top deck. Hopefully my end result will be pretty okay.

I got my mill going, finally, so now the impossible is now merely difficult and time-consuming.
Best way I found was to install the TC6 ball ends and I took a few thousandths off of the bottom of the metal tubes that ride on the bearings. That took a lot of the slop out. But, not all of it.

Also, I believe there is an aluminum system from GPM or something out there. I may give that a go.
bertottius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:00 PM   #12539
Tech Champion

Rpm ballcups and shims everything tight first, and then loosen a little at a time until it does not stick anymore.... A digital servo is also a must, with a strong centering level...
Old 05-03-2014, 09:50 PM   #12540
Tech Regular

Have to agree with Bert on the high end servo and rpm cups. Ae parts always seem to have some play no matter what though.