R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #12001
Tech Master
 
DarthRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,089
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthFloridaApp View Post
I purchased a FT TC4 and got it running, but when I brake it spins out to the right. I changed a front hub bearing that was not free, but the car still spins out. I have changed tires three times.. hpi x patterns, sorex, and some other tires that resemble hpi x patterns. I have also played with the brake settings on the ESC and transmitter, but to no avail. I have checked for binding and did not find any. I am not sure what my next step is... I ran the car on the street for this test (asphalt). Fyi I am running a 5.5 turn motor with a 18 tooth pinion for this test and the spur gear is a 72 tooth. The car is not a missile and should be controllable.... Lastly, the car steers straight and I get it up to a fairly decent speed ...approx. 30 mph... Please advise.
Start looking for tweak issues F/R and L/R. Check your droop, ride height, shock lengths, shock rebound, etc. Sounds like one rear tire may be lifting under braking but that is just a guess.
__________________
For the Sontaran Empire!

Carolinas R/C Track Directory - https://sites.google.com/site/carolinasrctracklocator/
DarthRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #12002
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Miami Beach
Posts: 607
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

I have checked the droop, toe, camber etc.... I purchased this car used and I am beginning to think it has a one way in the front. I know nothing touring cars.... I do have several off road cars though... Unfortunately I don't have a track close by that races these cars..... If I am correct I can try to get used to it, or install a normal differential.... which will be more similar to my off road cars.....
SouthFloridaApp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:47 PM   #12003
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,638
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

No problem Ray.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray k View Post
I glad it helped ! If you need more steering ,switch to HPI silver spring in the front . Need more rear grip switch to Tamiya blue spring rear .
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:54 PM   #12004
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,638
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

First of all, you'll need to regear your car to 72T spur and 24T pinion to get it to go the correct speed. Second check the Speedo and receiver drag brakes , and turn them off.
After that, you got to verify every item on your car by working from the tires in: tires, Bearings, diffs,etc......
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthFloridaApp View Post
I purchased a FT TC4 and got it running, but when I brake it spins out to the right. I changed a front hub bearing that was not free, but the car still spins out. I have changed tires three times.. hpi x patterns, sorex, and some other tires that resemble hpi x patterns. I have also played with the brake settings on the ESC and transmitter, but to no avail. I have checked for binding and did not find any. I am not sure what my next step is... I ran the car on the street for this test (asphalt). Fyi I am running a 5.5 turn motor with a 18 tooth pinion for this test and the spur gear is a 72 tooth. The car is not a missile and should be controllable.... Lastly, the car steers straight and I get it up to a fairly decent speed ...approx. 30 mph... Please advise.
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:30 AM   #12005
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Miami Beach
Posts: 607
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Thanks guys... I will probably tear the car down this weekend and check for everything.

As to gearing I know I was undergeared (72/18), but that was the only pinion that I had for a test run that was relatively close in size. I will purchase some 21-24 pinions.
SouthFloridaApp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:20 AM   #12006
Tech Elite
 
Boomer's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Southern Cal - Claremont
Posts: 3,337
Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthFloridaApp View Post
I have checked the droop, toe, camber etc.... I purchased this car used and I am beginning to think it has a one way in the front. I know nothing touring cars.... I do have several off road cars though... Unfortunately I don't have a track close by that races these cars..... If I am correct I can try to get used to it, or install a normal differential.... which will be more similar to my off road cars.....
If you're running RWD off-road cars, the front one-way is probably about as close as you'll get to that.

You know how to check for a front one-way? Do your fronts free-spin one way but not the other? Yes - you have a one-way.

No? When you rotate one wheel, does the other wheel rotate the opposite direction? Yes? You have either a ball or gear diff - a "normal" diff.

No? When you rotate that one wheel, does it try to rotate everything? You have a locked diff.

No? Then what the heck??? LOL
__________________
-
RC10L2.5W - RC12.4 - RCNTC3(bmi) - TC4 (modded) - B44.2 - plus rent-a-rides! :D
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #12007
Tech Elite
 
Ray k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,982
Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)
Default

Hey if any TC4 guys are interested , a set of HUDY ultimate setup wheels and a Tamiya TRF camber gauge forsale . Will fit standard or AE axles .paypal only , PM if interested . SOLD

Last edited by Ray k; 11-05-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Ray k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #12008
Tech Elite
 
RED-LINE M03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: >>> USA <<<
Posts: 4,102
Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray k View Post
Hey if any TC4 guys are interested , a set of HUDY ultimate setup wheels and a Tamiya TRF camber gauge forsale . Will fit standard or AE axles . $25 bucks shipped , paypal only , PM if interested . Just the gauge is $30 bucks

I'll take them Erik....

Send me a P.M. with your info.
__________________
A battery pack a day keeps the stress away

🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻💪😃👍🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻
RED-LINE M03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #12009
Tech Regular
 
Emaculant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 380
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

What's needed for a TC4 to keep up 17.5 touring?
Emaculant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #12010
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,638
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Wink

Ready for another run !!! Hopefully at 360v2....
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #12011
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,638
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Checkout Ray's setup, and watch your vehicle's weight...... For 17.5t touring, I run a 55t 48p spur and 35t to 40t pinion, with a light battery pack(<250grams)..... You'll need a 12.5mm rotor in your motor of choice, and have fun....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaculant View Post
What's needed for a TC4 to keep up 17.5 touring?
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #12012
Tech Regular
 
Emaculant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 380
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
Checkout Ray's setup, and watch your vehicle's weight...... For 17.5t touring, I run a 55t 48p spur and 35t to 40t pinion, with a light battery pack(<250grams)..... You'll need a 12.5mm rotor in your motor of choice, and have fun....
Link for Ray setup.
12.5mm rotor?
What about a carbon fiber chassis like the DC4 LE?
Emaculant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #12013
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,638
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Cool

Ray's setup is on page 797 , post#11954....
As far as the dc4 le, it's a good carbon fiber kit for those who want a CF chassis... Those who have one are still testing setups, I think... Both are competitive..
Touring cars need a 12.5mm rotor to be competitive. 12.3mm does not cut it....
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #12014
Tech Adept
 
Agent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 106
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Agent Send a message via Yahoo to Agent
Default

Is there a good set up in this thread for simple parking lot bashing? no real racing, but something decent... Not sure how to even begin searching the thread for that...
__________________
`Carl
HPI: Cup Racer, SNRS4, NMT | AE: SC10 4X4, T3, T2, RC18MT, TC4 | Thunder Tiger: MT4 GT3
WTB: Super RS4 electric rally
FS: RS4 3 SS w/ OS .18CV + RC10GT w/ Megatech .16 pull start
Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:19 PM   #12015
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,638
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile

For parking lot bashing , I would say to start with Ray's base setup, but with 6mm rideheight front and rear, and go from there.......
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Team Losi XXXS G+ with parts!! Team Orion V2 Hitec 5625 cola R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 9 06-18-2008 08:11 PM
BATTERIES - Team Orion 4200 SHO Team Cells (6 cell) packs................... For Sale 2-Bad Australia For Sale/Trade 0 03-21-2008 02:16 AM
New Items for Sale Tamiya F103gt Chassis Kit, Team Much More CTX-D, Novak, Team Orion Tsquare R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 14 04-17-2007 08:29 PM
>>> BRAND STINKING NEW NEVER RAN TEAM JAMMIN FACTORY TEAM FTE RACING BUGGY <<<< mach51 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 01-25-2007 09:13 PM
F/S Team Associated Factory Team RC18T with Mamba Comp X Brushless and Extras ZeroCool101 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 7 01-07-2006 01:54 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (0 members and 4 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:16 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0