R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #11641
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

In VTA/25.5, I will run a rear sway bar if I'm running ball diffs (front/rear). The rear sway bar helped me to get the car to rotate a little better (by taking a bit of rear traction away). I tend to over drive the corners, so the sway bar also helped to keep the rear of the car from rolling too much.

In VTA you can run a softer suspension setup to generate mechanical grip and then add sway bars to control chassis/body roll.

----------

As far as IRS aluminum out drive/diff halves - they will notch fairly quickly with AE bones. I highly recommend using bones with pin cushions if you use any non-steel out drives on the TC3/TC4 (so you will get the most life out of them).

On my VTA TC4 'club racer', I use steel diff or spool up front with aluminum bones. In the rear I use plastic diff with composite bones. The plastic/composite in the rear will last a very long time. The front takes more abuse, which is why I upgraded those parts.

----------

As far as competitiveness, the top 8 VTA guys at our track last night all had fast laps within .01 of each other. My TC4 club racer had fast lap and was leading the main, but I made too many driving errors (the car was good).
Old 08-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #11642
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

That's the issue I'm having. I took out too much off-power steering and it pushes a bit and the rear is really locked in. I'm going to try removing the front swaybar first to see how I like it. Thanks

Carolinas R/C Track Directory - https://sites.google.com/site/carolinasrctracklocator/
DarthRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:17 AM   #11643
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthRacer View Post
Does anyone run swaybars on their tub chassis TC4? I'm currently running a soft one on the front and rear of mine in USVTA. I'd like to see if others are running them and what type of class and track they run on.
In it's prime i ran this car a LOT and although i got setups to work well without roll-bars in stock/19T TC throwing the bars back on usually resulted in faster times. My guess is due to the car being on the heavy side the car just leans too much without any roll-bars. With rubber tires i start wit the soft bar front and rear and occasionally go to the silver medium in front.

Currently my VTA TC4 has the soft bars front/rear with silver springs front and rear.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:44 AM   #11644
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM03GT View Post
In it's prime i ran this car a LOT and although i got setups to work well without roll-bars in stock/19T TC throwing the bars back on usually resulted in faster times. My guess is due to the car being on the heavy side the car just leans too much without any roll-bars. With rubber tires i start wit the soft bar front and rear and occasionally go to the silver medium in front.

Currently my VTA TC4 has the soft bars front/rear with silver springs front and rear.

Thanks
My setup for VTA is similar. Soft swaybar F/R, blue spring front / silver spring rear.
I was doing a lot of setup testing yesterday and started to get the on power steering I have been looking for by lowering the roll center. Since I got this particular car used it just noticed it has a front ball diff and not a spool. I have another TC4, a club racer, that has a spool and it drives better, lots of on power steering. I'm going to swap the spool and diff and see how that goes.

Carolinas R/C Track Directory - https://sites.google.com/site/carolinasrctracklocator/
Old 08-16-2013, 07:29 AM   #11645
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It seems that blue front and silver rear with the soft bar F&R is the way to go in 17.5t blinky too.... I do run +2 anti squat in the rear which makes it a bit stiffer, and spool up front.... Also making the Car lose weight lowered my laptimes alot too .... I can't wait to get back to carpet Racing... Also, the ball diff up front made my Car sluggish out of the turns: no way to make it Work like the spool..
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:37 AM   #11646
Tech Champion

I run my 13.5t Car with the same setup above with even better results since it's lighter at 1390grams than my 17.5t(1472grams)...
Old 08-16-2013, 07:46 AM   #11647
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
It seems that blue front and silver rear with the soft bar F&R is the way to go in 17.5t blinky too.... I do run +2 anti squat in the rear which makes it a bit stiffer, and spool up front.... Also making the Car lose weight lowered my laptimes alot too .... I can't wait to get back to carpet Racing... Also, the ball diff up front made my Car sluggish out of the turns: no way to make it Work like the spool..
I can confirm the sluggish feeling with the front ball diff. I think that is where I'm loosing some time in the twisties. We have a lot of 180 turns and short distances between them. Definitely going to drop the spool in.

I also added rear anti squat, so I must be onto something here.

It makes you feel better when you make the same setup changes as someone else that reports good results without knowing what that setup is.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:03 AM   #11648
Tech Champion

Nice Darth, you will see lots of improvement in handling... Now I must clear my head and get focused everytime I put my Car down, it's so Quick out of the turns in 17.5t with a front spool/lcd.....
Old 08-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #11649
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to JustWill75

I have my TC4 club setup for VTA with TC6.1 shocks and RSD springs. I love this car right now. I threw my Reedy Sonic 17.5 in it with my Novak edge and was very impressed with the responsiveness. Its swooth and aggressive at the same time. I want to see if I can get it to match my TC6.1 lap times.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #11650
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

With a ball diff up front in VTA, I liked running anti-squat in the rear (and a rear sway bar). I also liked to run 2.5 or 2.0 rear toe. I always had plenty of off-power steering with this type of set-up. I was always able to drive deep into a corner and out-brake other drivers.

The only problem I ever had was forward drive off the corners. Against better setup cars driven by the best drivers, I would just lose too much ground out of the corners. The end result was I was bottom half in the a-main at all the big VTA races I went too (like last year's Southern Nats).

I still feel that you can setup the TC4 for VTA with a front ball diff and get enough forward bit out of a corner to compete with any other car out there. I have several TC4s, so I just need to work on my setup with a front diff.

A front spool will help get you out of the corner, but it does require a different driving style. But I prefer the handling of a well setup car with ball diffs as it is easier for me to drive (aggressively).
Old 08-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #11651
Tech Champion

I also run 2.0 degree rear toe blocks, and have so much Off power steering that I have to keep a little forward throttle trim in my radio to roll through the turns... If the track has lots of straights, I crank up my forward throttle expo and forward acceleration to punch out of the turns even faster... All I got to Work on right now is on power steering...
Old 08-16-2013, 09:57 AM   #11652
Tech Master

I popped that 2.5 deg toe block on my car early on.

I did try a rear-only swaybar setup and it didn't react the way I wanted it too. Seemed sluggish. I guess I prefer the ability to drive aggressively and do a little throttle steering.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:09 AM   #11653
Tech Champion

Front droop in relations to body roll is what I want to test next. Hopefully I can get One of the front wheels to lift a bit in the turns, so I can get some on power steering....
Old 08-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #11654
Tech Champion

I might even have to play with rear droop to get on power steering, so the chassis can roll enough to get the desired handling characteristics...
Old 08-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #11655
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
I might even have to play with rear droop to get on power steering, so the chassis can roll enough to get the desired handling characteristics...
I tried that. Gave it full droop. you'll be surprised at how much it affects the car.