R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #11326
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Rodarbal

Awesome! Never thought of lubing the CVDs. We race outdoors on asphalt, which always is dirtier than we anticipate. Not sure if I'd want to put grease there, but I have some thin teflon lube I can try.

For the diff, I also use the translucent AE lube. It's probably at least 18 years old but the ish still works.

For the shocks, I've only recently started using the green slime. My problem is that I forgot it the last two times I've rebuilt shocks. Not that I've REALLY needed it. I've been using the blue o-rings that I had from Ofna. The Traxxas ones might be the same. They feel smoother to me, but provide the same (and maybe better) sealing as the brown AE o-rings. My shock oil inventory is pretty much all AE.

As for the bevel gears, I've been experimenting with graphite dry lube. Previous to that I used a thin application of white lithium grease. Prior to that I used molybdenum grease. I think the graphite is working, though. It feels good, and is more quiet than is has ever been before (running 64P gears now, too). This will make it easier to identify when bearings are going out. You can find the graphite dry lube in the Pinewood Derby Car aisle of your LHS.
Rodarbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #11327
Tech Rookie

What can I do to get the most out of the stock 17 turn motor? Should i upgrade to a lipo battery, new pinions, gears, etc? Without getting into a brushless motor. What's the most I could do?
Evilcon666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:32 PM   #11328
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

to reduce wear on the diff outdrives you can dremel the CVD pins so they are flush with the outdrive diameter. This reduces wear. also to make the plastic diff outdrives last you can fit an aluminum ring over the end in addition o the dremeled down pins...
Old 03-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #11329
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM03GT View Post
to reduce wear on the diff outdrives you can dremel the CVD pins so they are flush with the outdrive diameter. This reduces wear.
really ? how come !?
Old 03-31-2013, 01:10 AM   #11330
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

ran my tc4 on the steet cause i was bored at home. took the brush system out and threw in radiant reaktor (yes thats the brand and thats how its spelled) 3500kv motor and esc combo that i got with by b4.1. took the stupid "drifter" wheels off, threw on some old beater wheels that i got with my tc3 years ago and adjusted the camber back to normal. its fun to run but the whole car needs to be taken apart and cleaned up which i will but like i said i was bored so i didnt care at that moment. i found a wad of hair, yes HAIR stuck between each wheels' hub and hex nut. GROSS!

whats is a good gear combo to really wake up this 3500kv motor. its fast but i want faster!
slowclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #11331
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I have a TC4 club racer. Can anyone tell me reasonably priced replacement for the shocks? I would put on the TC6 shocks, but they are pretty expensive. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
R Doyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #11332
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Doyel View Post
I have a TC4 club racer. Can anyone tell me reasonably priced replacement for the shocks? I would put on the TC6 shocks, but they are pretty expensive. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I bought the VCS2 upgrade for one of my cars. Huge improvement IMO. No more emulsion setup and they have the nice blue caps. An upgrade from there would be to just buy the aluminum shock bodies for the NTC3 / TC3 / TC4 (VCS2).
DarthRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #11333
Tech Addict

Quote:
What is reasonable?

I put the Tamiya TRF shocks on mine.

$60 for a set of four.
.crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #11334
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
IRS has awesome shocks for touring cars as well as a bunch of aluminum hop up parts for the TC3 and TC4. Check out their dog bones too...alot better than stock ones.

http://teamirsrc.com/index.php?main_...ird2bsk304dbt5
bertottius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #11335
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthRacer View Post
I bought the VCS2 upgrade for one of my cars. Huge improvement IMO. No more emulsion setup and they have the nice blue caps. An upgrade from there would be to just buy the aluminum shock bodies for the NTC3 / TC3 / TC4 (VCS2).
Thanks, I'll check those out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .crispy View Post
What is reasonable?

I put the Tamiya TRF shocks on mine.

$60 for a set of four.
That's pretty good. I was considering the VCS3, but they're $50 a pair. I'll look at the Tamiya, as well.
R Doyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #11336
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
3 Racing work pretty good for the money. They are a copy of the TRF shocks but at 1/3 the price. The finish is not as nice as Tamiya and I had to fiddle with the spring retainers and ball ends to fit my TC3. But they've been working very well on my car for a couple of seasons with no leaks and they are easy to fill. Spec-R also makes some nice looking shocks in both plastic and aluminum bodies, but I've never tried them.

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=1259
http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=5824
http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=5825
beemerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #11337
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The Associated plastic TC shocks can be a pain to build (for many people). However when built properly they work well enough. Here is our VTA A-Main from last week. I'm driving the green & white Camaro, which is a tub chassis TC4 with the AE plastic shocks (qualified 2nd - finished 1st)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5oOg2EbQ94

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 04-04-2013 at 07:56 AM.
IndyRC_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:56 AM   #11338
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Just get the Tamiya TRF shocks and be done with it. Think of it as an investment in your racing program like when buying a high end radio our charger as you will have them for years. The shocks will outlast your interest in the TC4 chassis and then you will have them to use on your next chassis someday. I put them on my TC3 and the car was awesome. They were much better than the FT TC3 and TC5 shocks I had run previously on the same car.
AE SC10 AE B4.11
SS LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #11339
Tech Adept

Get a used set of XRAY T3/NT1 shocks on eBay.
Serpenteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #11340
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS LS1 View Post
Just get the Tamiya TRF shocks and be done with it. Think of it as an investment in your racing program like when buying a high end radio our charger as you will have them for years. The shocks will outlast your interest in the TC4 chassis and then you will have them to use on your next chassis someday. I put them on my TC3 and the car was awesome. They were much better than the FT TC3 and TC5 shocks I had run previously on the same car.
+1. Maintenance is critical to get the best out of them, though. That is, clean them and replace the O-rings often.