R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-07-2012, 08:45 PM   #10891
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Walterboro S.C. USA
Posts: 329
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
Off the top of my head, there is a list of major improvements possible in the tc4 , from front to rear:
#1 : Parma bumper + ntc3 reinforcements(overkill)
#2 : front hinge pin blocks#31064 and #31065(no shims)
#3 : run Teflon Bearings on axles #6906
#4 : front LCD drives #losa3344
#5 : dremel servo saver bolt for clearance
#6 : dremel steering turnbuckle for clearance
#7 : run black swaybar up front and back
#8 : use RPM ballcups all over
#9 : use lightweight electronics and lipos
#10 : use trf shocks or AE shocks with yokomo bladders
#11 : take the foam out of the driveshaft input cups
#12 : make sure track width is 190mm(use #6 washers)
#13 : shave axle stubs sticking out
#14 : use IRS aluminum spool & diff outdrives
#15 : dremel battery compartment stubs flat
#16 : dremel chassis under pinion gear
#17 : cut battery foam spacer so it won't rub the driveshaft
#18 : use rear hinge pin blocks#31066 & #31068(no shims)
#19 : make wheelbase close to the shortest possible
#20 : make droop only 1mm to 2mm over rideheight F&R
#21 : use blue front springs and silver tear
#22 : wax/armor all your ride/wheels/body
#23 : Always run 1 to 1.5 rear camber
#24 : make sure you charge up to 8.5volts
#25 : use only AE clamped wheel hexes
That's all I can recall for now....
You forgot these. FT turnbuckel's
Attached Thumbnails
Team Associated TC4-31052_md.jpg  
tc3jp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:35 PM   #10892
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,639
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking

You could add them with aluminum screw sets to save weight(about 20grams) .
If you want to go further, you can also get a carbon fiber or titanium driveshaft with IRS aluminum input shafts, TiR titanium axles, but by that time you'll want ceramic Bearings all around, Hirosaka gears(lighter than anything else out there), and ceramic diff balls + thrust balls , maybe also a titanium diff/steering spring if you can find one....
I am not going to get into carbon parts, and chassis lightening practices I've heard about, but they're out there, whether it's worth it or not... I'm sure you won't need to go to these extremes to compete, but it gives you an idea of how many improvements can be done to the tc4 up to the present. There maybe more upgrades out there though....
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #10893
Tech Master
 
JustWill75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: DOUGLASVILLE GA.
Posts: 1,755
Send a message via AIM to JustWill75
Default

You guys do all of this for VTA racing?
__________________
TEAM ASSOCIATED // REEDY POWER // BLAST RC
JustWill75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:41 AM   #10894
Tech Champion
 
DARKSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville-Memphis
Posts: 7,643
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
Off the top of my head, there is a list of major improvements possible in the tc4 , from front to rear:
#1 : Parma bumper + ntc3 reinforcements(overkill)
#2 : front hinge pin blocks#31064 and #31065(no shims)
#3 : run Teflon Bearings on axles #6906
#4 : front LCD drives #losa3344
#5 : dremel servo saver bolt for clearance
#6 : dremel steering turnbuckle for clearance
#7 : run black swaybar up front and back
#8 : use RPM ballcups all over
#9 : use lightweight electronics and lipos
#10 : use trf shocks or AE shocks with yokomo bladders
#11 : take the foam out of the driveshaft input cups
#12 : make sure track width is 190mm(use #6 washers)
#13 : shave axle stubs sticking out
#14 : use IRS aluminum spool & diff outdrives
#15 : dremel battery compartment stubs flat
#16 : dremel chassis under pinion gear
#17 : cut battery foam spacer so it won't rub the driveshaft
#18 : use rear hinge pin blocks#31066 & #31068(no shims)
#19 : make wheelbase close to the shortest possible
#20 : make droop only 1mm to 2mm over rideheight F&R
#21 : use blue front springs and silver tear
#22 : wax/armor all your ride/wheels/body
#23 : Always run 1 to 1.5 rear camber
#24 : make sure you charge up to 8.5volts
#25 : use only AE clamped wheel hexes
That's all I can recall for now....
DANG!!!!

here are the things Ive done to mine..not as much and only used some of the screws to loose some weight...but thats some things I see on that list that I might try....

FT Motor Cooling Duct/Fan Kit
Part #: 31037

FT Blue Aluminum Shock Bushing, standard
Part #: 1780

FT Battery Strap Thumbscrews
Part #: 1787

FT Graphite Battery Strap, blue with chrome decal
Part #: 31039

TC4 FT Screw Kit, blue aluminum
Part #: 31054

FT Anti-Roll Bar Kit (includes 3 bars)
Part #: 31057

FT Blue Aluminum CVD Bones
Part #: 3888

VCS3 Shock Kit
Part #: 31323
Attached Thumbnails
Team Associated TC4-1780_md.jpg   Team Associated TC4-1787_md.jpg   Team Associated TC4-31034_sm.jpg   Team Associated TC4-31037_md.jpg   Team Associated TC4-31039_sm.jpg  

__________________
Myron "BATTMAN" Kinnard
Team Associated/Reedy Powered/PROTOform/RockStar Paint, LLC
THUNDER JAM IX Snowbirds Warm-up
January 2017
Thunder RC Raceway
DARKSIDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #10895
Tech Champion
 
DARKSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville-Memphis
Posts: 7,643
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

pics
Attached Thumbnails
Team Associated TC4-31054_md.jpg   Team Associated TC4-31057_md.jpg   Team Associated TC4-31323_md.jpg   Team Associated TC4-30101_lg.jpg  
__________________
Myron "BATTMAN" Kinnard
Team Associated/Reedy Powered/PROTOform/RockStar Paint, LLC
THUNDER JAM IX Snowbirds Warm-up
January 2017
Thunder RC Raceway
DARKSIDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #10896
Tech Master
 
JustWill75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: DOUGLASVILLE GA.
Posts: 1,755
Send a message via AIM to JustWill75
Default

#24 : make sure you charge up to 8.5volts

I thought that was against the rules..
__________________
TEAM ASSOCIATED // REEDY POWER // BLAST RC
JustWill75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #10897
Tech Champion
 
DARKSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville-Memphis
Posts: 7,643
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustWill75 View Post
#24 : make sure you charge up to 8.5volts

I thought that was against the rules..
most big races keep it 8.4, some clubs dont really monitor
__________________
Myron "BATTMAN" Kinnard
Team Associated/Reedy Powered/PROTOform/RockStar Paint, LLC
THUNDER JAM IX Snowbirds Warm-up
January 2017
Thunder RC Raceway
DARKSIDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #10898
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,639
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I tried the twin fan before, but it only gave me glitches, so I threw it out. Vcs3 shocks are definitely an upgrade, but I only have the aluminum shock bushing in my Fttc4's ....
By the way, I only race Tc 17.5t/13.5t/mod, no VTA....
I also realized my club & Roar allowed 8.5volt charges, while I was running 8.4volts: there's a noticeable difference....
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #10899
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Grand Portage, MN
Posts: 1,362
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default

How on earth go you get it up to 8.5? unless using nimh settings my charger will only charge to 4.2 per cell
__________________
______________________________________________
Jason Deadman

I race toy cars for fun. If I need to explain, you'll never understand.
jdeadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:52 PM   #10900
Tech Champion
 
DARKSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville-Memphis
Posts: 7,643
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
I tried the twin fan before, but it only gave me glitches, so I threw it out. Vcs3 shocks are definitely an upgrade, but I only have the aluminum shock bushing in my Fttc4's ....
By the way, I only race Tc 17.5t/13.5t/mod, no VTA....
I also realized my club & Roar allowed 8.5volt charges, while I was running 8.4volts: there's a noticeable difference....
I think the fan duct is the pooh...I love it, no issues here so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeadman View Post
How on earth go you get it up to 8.5? unless using nimh settings my charger will only charge to 4.2 per cell
what charger are you using?...my LRP Pulsar Touch goes to 8.5
__________________
Myron "BATTMAN" Kinnard
Team Associated/Reedy Powered/PROTOform/RockStar Paint, LLC
THUNDER JAM IX Snowbirds Warm-up
January 2017
Thunder RC Raceway
DARKSIDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #10901
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Grand Portage, MN
Posts: 1,362
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default

lol way cheaper hobbyking charger
__________________
______________________________________________
Jason Deadman

I race toy cars for fun. If I need to explain, you'll never understand.
jdeadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:52 PM   #10902
Tech Regular
 
M3Armand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 263
Default

Has anyone seen the new Associated Apex yet? Is this basically a dumbed down T4? I need to know since I want to know if it will be "upgradeable" with T4 parts which a lot of hobby stores probably still carry. For $290 with a brushless motor and waterproof ESC, 2.4 Ghz radio, and 6 cell NiMh battery it seems like a great buy for a beginner.
__________________
Durango DEX210, SpeedMerchant REV4, HB TCX, Traxxas EMaxx, HPI RS4 Pro, Tamiya TA02, Yokomo YZ10, Associated RC10 Team Car, Bolink Eliminator 10, Kyosho Optima, Tamiya HotShot, Tamiya Grasshopper
M3Armand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:38 PM   #10903
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,639
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I think the I charger goes up to 8.6volts, but you'll have to discharge to 8.5volts... I had a mrc superbrain989, but now I have a tp1430C that charges up to 8.48volts, close enough to 8.5volts... If your club doesn't check voltage, 8.6volts gives a definite advantage....
As far as the new AE Apex car, it is a rebadged Thunder tiger sparrohawk VX , and is not compatible with the tc4 or any AE car for that matter...
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:03 PM   #10904
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,639
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

VERY GOOD NEWS !!!
THE AE TC4 IS INCLUDED IN THE NEWEST RC CREW CHIEF SOFTWARE UPDATE !!!
YOU CAN ADD THAT TO MY LIST AS #26.....
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #10905
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,857
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Armand View Post
Has anyone seen the new Associated Apex yet? Is this basically a dumbed down T4? I need to know since I want to know if it will be "upgradeable" with T4 parts which a lot of hobby stores probably still carry. For $290 with a brushless motor and waterproof ESC, 2.4 Ghz radio, and 6 cell NiMh battery it seems like a great buy for a beginner.
The Apex and TC4 are not compatible. There are no shared parts. However shocks that fit the TC4 might fit fit the Apex.
__________________
www.reedypower.com
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Team Losi XXXS G+ with parts!! Team Orion V2 Hitec 5625 cola R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 9 06-18-2008 08:11 PM
BATTERIES - Team Orion 4200 SHO Team Cells (6 cell) packs................... For Sale 2-Bad Australia For Sale/Trade 0 03-21-2008 02:16 AM
New Items for Sale Tamiya F103gt Chassis Kit, Team Much More CTX-D, Novak, Team Orion Tsquare R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 14 04-17-2007 08:29 PM
>>> BRAND STINKING NEW NEVER RAN TEAM JAMMIN FACTORY TEAM FTE RACING BUGGY <<<< mach51 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 01-25-2007 09:13 PM
F/S Team Associated Factory Team RC18T with Mamba Comp X Brushless and Extras ZeroCool101 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 7 01-07-2006 01:54 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:32 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0