R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-29-2012, 11:41 AM   #10816
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

3racing Used to Make one years ago but I can;t seem to find it now

I race toy cars for fun. If I need to explain, you'll never understand.
jdeadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #10817
Tech Master

But I did just find this http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ALUMINUM-STEE...ht_1455wt_1163

Old 10-29-2012, 11:45 AM   #10818
Tech Master

Also Looks like GPM makes one http://www.ebay.ca/itm/GPM-ALUMINUM-...ht_1395wt_1163

Old 10-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #10819
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)
Default spool or no spool, that is the question?

Okay, i just want to ask if most of you guys are running the spool or diff unit up front for tight tracks with lots of hair-pins. I'm running vta spec at 1550 grams for weight and novak 25.5 ballistic. Recommendations please.

Sponsor by Makita Li-Ion Brushless Power Tools. Eat the power!

Selling something but no pictures, goodbye.
SuperFastSnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:47 PM   #10820
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeadman View Post
Also Looks like GPM makes one
Thanks! Obviously I wasn't using the right search terms since I never found anything!
bronicabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:50 PM   #10821
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFastSnail View Post
Okay, i just want to ask if most of you guys are running the spool or diff unit up front for tight tracks with lots of hair-pins. I'm running vta spec at 1550 grams for weight and novak 25.5 ballistic. Recommendations please.
I use 2 Ball diffs set as loose as possible (without slipping) for a tight track that is 40x60 and get about 11s per lap on a bigger track that I want more corner speed in the larger diameter corners I will tighten the diff or put the Solid axle up front keeping the rear loser but not as loose as the technical tight track

This is with 25.5VTA in 17.5 Blinky similar but with tighter front diff all around better with locked once you get more flow to a track

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronicabill View Post
Thanks! Obviously I wasn't using the right search terms since I never found anything!
I guess I just have better google-foo. lol

Old 10-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #10822
Tech Master

Quote:
With those e-bay ones watch the fitment as those bushings may be a weird size but if you can replace with bearings and shim out the slop

Old 10-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #10823
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Exclamation

Quote:
I am about ready to throw my TC4 chassis in the trash! The stock plastic steering rack keeps breaking right in the middle of the "V"... yesterday on the 1st lap of the very 1st heat of the day, and this was a brand new rack I'd just put in during the week!

I've spent hours Google searching for a metal upgrade but can find nothing to replace the stock cheap plastic, which I refuse to buy any more of. Another club member said there was at least one 3rd party maker of a metal upgrade, but at the time I wasn't able to get a source from him.

Does anyone have a source for an aluminum upgrade for the steering rack on the TC4?

Many thanks in advance!
My kid and and I have been bashing a couple of TC4's for years, we've broken every piece I'm sure but never a steering rack......are you sure there isn't something binding or over tightened. There are aluminum upgrades if you search TC4 on FleaBay.. I have purchased some pieces from RCDamper and fit is OK, also free shipping!!!!Good luck!!!!

TJ
THEBIGBULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #10824
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Cool

I have to agree with the bigbull here. An aluminum steering rack will not fix your issues. Make sure you run a parma wide bumper, and you shave your axles flush with your wheel nuts so it won't catch the boards ! Also, for corner speed, I crank my throttle trim up a bit so my Car keeps rolling even when I am Off throttle. I sometimes make turns with no throttle input, and the Car zooms around the turn so fast that I have to increase my radio throttle expo to +40%, and my throttle acceleration to 80%, just to keep my momentum going... I also gear a little higher because of it, and it seems to help alot with traction rolling issues too....
bertrandsv87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #10825
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFastSnail View Post
I use a spool, corners great and pulls hard. I also set my radio so it is on the throttle a little all the time, helps it roll thru the corners so the rear doesn't come around. Try it next race, I think you'll like the way it feels
Old 10-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #10826
Tech Rookie

Didn't know the trick about shaving axles but will definitely try that. I've also been careful about not getting the servo saver too tight or loose as either one would obviously stress the plastic and accelerate breakage... but after a few bumps against the boards on a cold day it was broken again! Obviously the best thing is to keep the car off the walls, but on a tight, crowded track, is that really going to happen with anyone but the experts (and even then... really?)?.

Now as to the Parma wide bumper... yes, I can see the wisdom in that immediately! The stock narrow foam bumper on the Associated cars is fine for a straight head-on into a wall or something but does nothing to prevent impact against the front tires and the resulting stress to the steering system. I'll look for one of those today while I'm at the hobby shop!

I'm still going to order the GPM aluminum steering upgrade for the TC4. While waiting on it I'll get my new TC6.1 running and have some fun with it for a while!
bronicabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:48 AM   #10827
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

one of the fastest guys Ive ever raced with runs a TC4...he started a thread on Nashrcracer...here is the link...he easily a top 3 any race and takes 2-4 months off to not even race...

http://www.nashrcracer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3436

TC3/4; TC4FT Heavy Duty Bumper Mod
The Stock bumper is very narrow. Because of this itís very easy to break front end parts due to the wheels taking most of the impact if itís not a head on impact. A larger bumper can be fitted, which is wider and offers more protection and will save you parts on your TC3/4!

Better than stock: Simply replace the stock bumper/foam with Parm TC4 bumper/foam. Straight replacement no additional parts or mods required.
Parma Ultimate Bumper TC4
Part# 8049

Heavy Duty bumper: Replaces stock bumper/foam with Parma bumper/foam and adds a RPM hard plastic bumper under the foam for better impact resistance. A NitroTC3 front bumper is required for this mod to obtain the bushings which are used on the RPM bumper. *Note you can save some money and use the NitroTC3 bumper but the RPM fits so much better with the Parma bumper/foam.
Parts needed:
RPM high impact front bumper nitro tc3
Part# 80272

Parma Ultimate Bumper TC4
Part# 8049

Associated NitroTC3 front bumper *You need this for the bushings, the rpm bumper doesn't come with the bushings.
Part# 2232

Either bumper mod you choose will require the Parma Foam be cut down to clear your body of choice. Itís much easier if you have a cut, clear body to help you figure out what to cut down for clearance. I use a dremel w/ the round sanding drum and wood files to get the rough shape and then sand paper to finish and smooth it out.

Parma, RPM HD bumper:
Attached Thumbnails
Team Associated TC4-normal_sspx0020.jpg   Team Associated TC4-normal_sspx0021.jpg   Team Associated TC4-normal_sspx0019.jpg   Team Associated TC4-normal_sspx0025.jpg  
January 21, 2017 Thunder RC Raceway
http://events.rcsignup.com/events/displayEvent.cfm?id=5313
DARKSIDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #10828
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thats a big ass bumper, love the bottom plate as well, very sturdy
Old 11-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #10829
Tech Champion

The RPM mod is good under extreme crashes, but I think the Parma bumper in combination with a tight body held with body washers is enough protection if you also shave your axle stubs. In fact, I always tearup left rear hub carriers and A arms when I hit the walls going down the straight, due to whiplash, but no front End damage at all....
Old 11-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #10830
Tech Champion

Just finished dremeling the battery slots (per darkside instructions), and it does give reasonably more flex, and possibly better traction. I have yet to test it but now the battery is sitting lower in the Car(0.5 to 1mm lower), lowering the Center of gravity, and eliminating battery shifts that might cause inconsistant handling....