Old 10-28-2011, 09:49 AM   #10216
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod306 View Post
thanks for your post jdeadman

just going over your setup
it seems to me you have light oil in your shocks?
have you tried heavier oil?
Looks like he's using a lighter oil with a lighter spring - this will get him more traction, and is balanced between the oil and spring.

A: you have to be balanced between the oil and spring. If the oil is heavy, the spring won't be able to move the arm; if the spring is too heavy, the oil will not be damping the action. Needs to be balanced, and his seems to be right there.

B: He's running a slower class - 25.5 is definitely not 10, so a lighter spring/oil combination is appropriate. A hotter motor will put more force to the suspension and make it work, thus a heavier spring/oil combo; he's running stock so a lighter spring/oil combo.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #10217
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Looks like he's using a lighter oil with a lighter spring - this will get him more traction, and is balanced between the oil and spring.

A: you have to be balanced between the oil and spring. If the oil is heavy, the spring won't be able to move the arm; if the spring is too heavy, the oil will not be damping the action. Needs to be balanced, and his seems to be right there.

B: He's running a slower class - 25.5 is definitely not 10, so a lighter spring/oil combination is appropriate. A hotter motor will put more force to the suspension and make it work, thus a heavier spring/oil combo; he's running stock so a lighter spring/oil combo.
Perfectly Said!!!

Our Carpet is quite old and the traction is medium to low for carpet. Which is why the soft suspension Also I have removed all of the stiffeners in the car to again add mechanical traction

This car is great and I am only one of 3 at our track to run shaft drive. For the newer cars that have more flexable chassis then can run harder suspension settings.

The only way to know what is good for your track is to start soft Get a balance front to rear of springs and oils setting that work and then start going harder all around equally untill you start loosing traction.

The stiffer you make your car the faster you can corner.

Cornering is everything in racing as we actually go a very short distance straight.

I started with Green springs all around and 20wt oil Too much front traction (too little rear) so sent up one size spring and smaller pistons

That made it 100% better.

Now start playing with camber and tow to get the car to use as much tire as possible.

Then tinker with roll centers and wheelbase.

Once I got these perfect. I was the fastest. so I left it there. The car rolled lots into the corners and If I hit a dot I was on my lid

But I was fast so it was fine.

Once someone caught up I started looking for more corner speed so I started going up in spring rate and oil.

But there is still room for improvement.

I race toy cars for fun. If I need to explain, you'll never understand.
jdeadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:44 PM   #10218
Tech Adept

I still would like to know what chassis would be best for rubber tire and carpet ? I notice that there is 3 chassis s ......tub, itf chassis,team chassis ? Sorry I could not really find an answer
hotrod306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:54 AM   #10219
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod306 View Post
I still would like to know what chassis would be best for rubber tire and carpet ? I notice that there is 3 chassis s ......tub, itf chassis,team chassis ? Sorry I could not really find an answer
Itf is thinner for more flex, but it is also depending on top deck used (itf or team)
tub would be stiffer but could get "side" flex
team is standard thickness, between the other two.

Drink EARTH water and save lives! in support of WFP
olly986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:23 AM   #10220
Tech Master

Hey guys,

So the settings I posted were from last year and I did some testing on our new layout and it is a bit more sweeping as last years was more a bunch of 180's with a straight.

So My setup changed a bit and here it is

Last edited by jdeadman; 05-19-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:27 PM   #10221
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Not a bad setup Jason, but I see room for improvement : I would lower the ride height to 5mm, then remove all the shims under all the suspension arms and just add a .25mm shim under the square and triangle arms. After that, I would add one degree toe out for the front tires, then run two degree positive camber front and rear, and run no drag brakes at all(it generates too much heat)... Lastly, I would try a different traction compound : trinity red dot.....
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:36 PM   #10222
Tech Champion

Jason, in the previous post I mentioned putting a .25mm shim under the triangle arm, but I really meant the circle arm( the arm closest to the center of the tc4)...
Old 10-30-2011, 09:43 PM   #10223
Tech Champion

Basically instead of running a flat setup, you would run anti-squat (rear), and anti-dive(front) with the lowest roll center possible...Depending on front traction(steering), you can also try to go with softer front springs...
Old 10-31-2011, 06:46 AM   #10224
Tech Fanatic

You could run a bit more droop too Jason. (4/5)

Old 10-31-2011, 06:51 AM   #10225
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
Not a bad setup Jason, but I see room for improvement : I would lower the ride height to 5mm, then remove all the shims under all the suspension arms and just add a .25mm shim under the square and triangle arms. After that, I would add one degree toe out for the front tires, then run two degree positive camber front and rear, and run no drag brakes at all(it generates too much heat)... Lastly, I would try a different traction compound : trinity red dot.....

All Great Idea's and I will try some of them. The ride height is due to our rough bit of track that if I go any lower on one corner there is a ridge that will catch the chassis and toss the car off the track.

And for additive we are locked into FX-II at our track

But everything else I am going to try

P.S. I also don;t have drag brake as even tho out track is technical the car has enough traction to not need to slow for corners I just let off as I turn in and back on in the middle of the corner and it's like it's on rails

Old 10-31-2011, 06:54 AM   #10226
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
Basically instead of running a flat setup, you would run anti-squat (rear), and anti-dive(front) with the lowest roll center possible...Depending on front traction(steering), you can also try to go with softer front springs...
and for our track the reason for 2 steps harder springs is to remove traction. I was going to go a more balanced spring setup and try a front swaybar but I have not tried that yet.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:57 PM   #10227
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I know this forum is dedicated to serious racers, but on people's spare time, does anyone drift their tc4 cars?
iDChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:57 PM   #10228
Tech Champion

Jason, how much faster was the guy ahead of you? I am certain that you will find that little extra speed/setup to win... Let us know soon...
Old 10-31-2011, 03:43 PM   #10229
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDChuck View Post
I know this forum is dedicated to serious racers, but on people's spare time, does anyone drift their tc4 cars?
It is not only for serious racers, otherwise we would not get ask newbie questions for us to help or answer.

For me no drift anyway, and fell free to ask this is what a forum is for.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:57 PM   #10230
Tech Champion

Sorry buddy, no drift here either...