R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-30-2010, 08:14 PM   #9766
Tech Elite
 
DaveW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 2,960
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

The Tc3 is retired. Heres a few pix of the modded Tc4 im puttin together for 17.5...








How you like that custom drive cup engraving? New bearings throughout the car still hasnt solved my shaft flex issue. The cut is from the servo saver screw rubbing the drive cup at speed.

Since i fully compress a diff screw in the rack for servo saver purposes, i opted to use a caster block kingpin, a plastic spacer, and two thin metal washers on each side of the plastic spacer to delete the diff spring and space the kingpin so it is flush with the top of the nut once tightened down.
__________________
...you better run like im booger flickin...
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:39 PM   #9767
Tech Elite
 
DaveW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 2,960
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Anyone know where i can get a FT 3mm REAR shock tower? I can find fronts all day long... but no rears. Part #31101.
__________________
...you better run like im booger flickin...
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:18 PM   #9768
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 546
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
Anyone know where i can get a FT 3mm REAR shock tower? I can find fronts all day long... but no rears. Part #31101.
http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/car...d-31101__ec7f/

Not too sure about the source or anything. But thats the best thing I found. Sorry.
__________________
Dan Fowler
Getting out of the hobby... Check out my for sale thread.
TC4Racer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:08 PM   #9769
Tech Elite
 
DaveW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 2,960
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC4Racer123 View Post
http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/car...d-31101__ec7f/

Not too sure about the source or anything. But thats the best thing I found. Sorry.
Thanks for the link! I dunno if its just gonna be better to custom make another rear tower. I can get a whole 8'x4' sheet of .093 FRP for $50, and laminate some CF weave on both sides of the tower for strength. Thats enough material for 1000+ shock towers. lol

UGH... im tired of making parts tho...
__________________
...you better run like im booger flickin...
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:31 PM   #9770
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 546
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
Thanks for the link! I dunno if its just gonna be better to custom make another rear tower. I can get a whole 8'x4' sheet of .093 FRP for $50, and laminate some CF weave on both sides of the tower for strength. Thats enough material for 1000+ shock towers. lol

UGH... im tired of making parts tho...
Haha. But you'd have 999 extra!
__________________
Dan Fowler
Getting out of the hobby... Check out my for sale thread.
TC4Racer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:25 AM   #9771
Tech Elite
 
Timbulb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hovering over your mom's fishtank.
Posts: 2,013
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default TC3 driveshaft probs.

I can't find the TC3 thread so here goes...

I keep blowing the driveshaft and cups out of my TC3. The driveshaft bends and takes at least one of the endcups out with it. I'm running a 6.5t novak motor, is it just too much for this older chassis?

Can I find stronger aftermarket parts for it?
Timbulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:04 PM   #9772
Tech Regular
 
revo523's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NOLA!
Posts: 466
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Can you give me a part number for the bearings you used on the steering rack? And what other parts will i need to do this to my tc4? I want no slop in my steering...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
The Tc3 is retired. Heres a few pix of the modded Tc4 im puttin together for 17.5...



How you like that custom drive cup engraving? New bearings throughout the car still hasnt solved my shaft flex issue. The cut is from the servo saver screw rubbing the drive cup at speed.

Since i fully compress a diff screw in the rack for servo saver purposes, i opted to use a caster block kingpin, a plastic spacer, and two thin metal washers on each side of the plastic spacer to delete the diff spring and space the kingpin so it is flush with the top of the nut once tightened down.
__________________
Xray T2 009 EU Tekin RS PRO Novak 13.5 SMC 5200
Team Magic G4JS O.S.12 skyline 12plus
Spektrum DX3S

What came first the chicken or the egg?
revo523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:41 AM   #9773
Tech Elite
 
DaveW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 2,960
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by revo523 View Post
Can you give me a part number for the bearings you used on the steering rack? And what other parts will i need to do this to my tc4? I want no slop in my steering...
Its ASC9162. You need 4 of them so thats two packages. They are a little expensive from AE, so you might wanna try and source them elsewhere. I have used them for years, and still using the first 4 bearings i bought... so they last a long time.

Other than that you just need complete Tc3 rack plastic parts, the Tc3 steering rack chassis posts, some small 4-40 locknuts, and regular motor shims to space the bearings out on the rack. Ill take my rack back out of the car, take it apart and take a pic to post up...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh and by the way, my Tc4 had TONS of steering with the Tc3 rack this past weekend. Nice linear steering feel over the Tc4 rack... just more than i remembered/anticipated.
__________________
...you better run like im booger flickin...
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:52 AM   #9774
Tech Elite
 
DaveW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 2,960
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

In case someone is wondering how to drill the two holes in the chassis for the Tc3 rack. Its easy...

Pull two flat head screws out of your front and rear tranny cases (the screws that hold the cases to the chassis for a total of 4 screws), place a Tc3 chassis against your Tc4 chassis (flat bottom to flat bottom) and use 4 button head screws to hold it in place with the 4 tranny case screw holes.

You now have a centered template to drill the two Tc3 rack mounting holes. A countersink bit for the two holes is found at Lowes for less than $5. Take your time with the countersink bit... they tend to wander, and a countersink bit with a center pilot guide has a tendency to open up the hole you just drilled. Just check to be sure the screw is centered in the hole frequently during drilling.

The chassis ribbing you need to remove is minimal, refer to the pics for max rack throw.
__________________
...you better run like im booger flickin...
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:58 AM   #9775
Tech Elite
 
DaveW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 2,960
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbulb View Post
I can't find the TC3 thread so here goes...

I keep blowing the driveshaft and cups out of my TC3. The driveshaft bends and takes at least one of the endcups out with it. I'm running a 6.5t novak motor, is it just too much for this older chassis?

Can I find stronger aftermarket parts for it?
Niftech sells really nice hardened drive cups. They also sell a titanium center driveshaft, which i still have one, but it gives me issue with a 17.5 and 13.5... so i can imagine you would chuck it for sure with a 6.5.

There is a member on here that sells custom carbon driveshafts, he says there are guys buying shafts from him for drag Tc3's using 3 turn motors with no problems. Pricing was reasonable too.
__________________
...you better run like im booger flickin...
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:16 AM   #9776
Tech Addict
 
shortcut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: So. Fla.
Posts: 545
Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default

Would a tc3 rtr in decent shape be worth $50.00.

Thanks, Jeff
shortcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:31 PM   #9777
Tech Regular
 
revo523's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NOLA!
Posts: 466
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

i bought my tc4 roller for 50 so if you getting a tc3 for 50 thats a good price.. if all the electronics are stock you can always sale them and buy a better system...
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut View Post
Would a tc3 rtr in decent shape be worth $50.00.

Thanks, Jeff
__________________
Xray T2 009 EU Tekin RS PRO Novak 13.5 SMC 5200
Team Magic G4JS O.S.12 skyline 12plus
Spektrum DX3S

What came first the chicken or the egg?
revo523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:32 PM   #9778
Tech Regular
 
revo523's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NOLA!
Posts: 466
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Hey dont they sale some bearings to replace the copper bushings on the steering rack of the tc4?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
Its ASC9162. You need 4 of them so thats two packages. They are a little expensive from AE, so you might wanna try and source them elsewhere. I have used them for years, and still using the first 4 bearings i bought... so they last a long time.

Other than that you just need complete Tc3 rack plastic parts, the Tc3 steering rack chassis posts, some small 4-40 locknuts, and regular motor shims to space the bearings out on the rack. Ill take my rack back out of the car, take it apart and take a pic to post up...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh and by the way, my Tc4 had TONS of steering with the Tc3 rack this past weekend. Nice linear steering feel over the Tc4 rack... just more than i remembered/anticipated.
__________________
Xray T2 009 EU Tekin RS PRO Novak 13.5 SMC 5200
Team Magic G4JS O.S.12 skyline 12plus
Spektrum DX3S

What came first the chicken or the egg?
revo523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:47 PM   #9779
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Elizabeth city NC.
Posts: 60
Default

DaveW,

How's the Tc3 steering rack work compared to the Tc4 steering rack?

Does it get rid of the slop in the Tc4 steering?


New to TC racing coming from 1/8 buggy and SC truck. Tc4 is my first on road car. Only running track days with my Tc4 for now until my on road skill improves .

Thanks
Will
Kodiak ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:03 AM   #9780
Tech Regular
 
oldpugva's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Culpeper, VA
Posts: 402
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by revo523 View Post
Hey dont they sale some bearings to replace the copper bushings on the steering rack of the tc4?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak ak View Post
DaveW,

How's the Tc3 steering rack work compared to the Tc4 steering rack?

Does it get rid of the slop in the Tc4 steering?


New to TC racing coming from 1/8 buggy and SC truck. Tc4 is my first on road car. Only running track days with my Tc4 for now until my on road skill improves .

Thanks
Will
Part number 3916. You can beat AE prices by getting 3/16 X 5/16 bearings at your LHS. I spent about $5 total for mine. You will need a total of 4 bearings.
__________________
<Straights are Easy>
| AE | LRP | Tekin | Spektrum |
RCRNV Twitter |RCRNV Web |RCRNV Facebook |
oldpugva is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Team Losi XXXS G+ with parts!! Team Orion V2 Hitec 5625 cola R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 9 06-18-2008 08:11 PM
BATTERIES - Team Orion 4200 SHO Team Cells (6 cell) packs................... For Sale 2-Bad Australia For Sale/Trade 0 03-21-2008 02:16 AM
New Items for Sale Tamiya F103gt Chassis Kit, Team Much More CTX-D, Novak, Team Orion Tsquare R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 14 04-17-2007 08:29 PM
>>> BRAND STINKING NEW NEVER RAN TEAM JAMMIN FACTORY TEAM FTE RACING BUGGY <<<< mach51 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 01-25-2007 09:13 PM
F/S Team Associated Factory Team RC18T with Mamba Comp X Brushless and Extras ZeroCool101 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 7 01-07-2006 01:54 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:33 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0