R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-27-2010, 07:08 PM   #9721
Tech Regular
 
oldpugva's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Culpeper, VA
Posts: 402
Arrow

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess I need to go with a smaller spur to be able to get a big enough pinion. Off to the hobby shop!

Thanks again.
__________________
<Straights are Easy>
| AE | LRP | Tekin | Spektrum |
RCRNV Twitter |RCRNV Web |RCRNV Facebook |
oldpugva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:56 PM   #9722
Tech Adept
 
Humyu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 204
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Humyu Send a message via Skype™ to Humyu
Default Need Advise

Hi,
New to TC4. Can this kit handle 10.5t motors with boost/turbo? Or just can handle 13.5t and above? I have is a standard RTR. What parts do i have to upgrade?What problem that I might encounter? Really appreciate the advise.

Thnks
__________________
.........
Humyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:54 PM   #9723
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 546
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humyu View Post
Hi,
New to TC4. Can this kit handle 10.5t motors with boost/turbo? Or just can handle 13.5t and above? I have is a standard RTR. What parts do i have to upgrade?What problem that I might encounter? Really appreciate the advise.

Thnks
I think the first things i was breaking on the track were hubs and outdrives. You'll definitely want to get steel outdrives IMO.
__________________
Dan Fowler
Getting out of the hobby... Check out my for sale thread.
TC4Racer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:23 AM   #9724
Tech Regular
 
tr1kstanc3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 357
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Hey guys,

Just getting back into RC and noticed LiPo is the new tech. I have a FT TC4 and would like to know what LiPo's fit in the chassis and how they are strapped in. I have the accessory FT battery strap. Any modifications necessary and what are some decent recommendations for a LiPo and inexpensive AC/DC charger. I am trying not to spend over $200. Could I use 1 LiPo and race it all day? Or am I better off with purchasing 2 batteries.

Thanks!
Joe
tr1kstanc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:11 PM   #9725
Tech Regular
 
Blind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: 93012
Posts: 334
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr1kstanc3 View Post
Hey guys,

Just getting back into RC and noticed LiPo is the new tech. I have a FT TC4 and would like to know what LiPo's fit in the chassis and how they are strapped in. I have the accessory FT battery strap. Any modifications necessary and what are some decent recommendations for a LiPo and inexpensive AC/DC charger. I am trying not to spend over $200. Could I use 1 LiPo and race it all day? Or am I better off with purchasing 2 batteries.

Thanks!
Joe
Great deals from hobbyking.com, I use one of the turnigy chargers and a handful of the cheap 2500mah 30c batteries for practice, and I have 1 good battery for race days.

can easily get away with 1 good battery for racing, if your truck follows the rules make sure you get a name brand from the approved list on the ROAR website or whatever rules your track follows, otherwise the packs hobbyking sells are really great value.

any of the 2s 7.4v packs that I've tried from hobbyking fit my tc4 without any issues at all, the hardcase ones fill the same space as a normal 6 cell nimh setup so your battery strap would work.
__________________
http://www.blindbatteries.com
http://www.ebay.com/usr/blind_batteries <-My eBay Feedback
Blind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:14 PM   #9726
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 546
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr1kstanc3 View Post
Hey guys,

Just getting back into RC and noticed LiPo is the new tech. I have a FT TC4 and would like to know what LiPo's fit in the chassis and how they are strapped in. I have the accessory FT battery strap. Any modifications necessary and what are some decent recommendations for a LiPo and inexpensive AC/DC charger. I am trying not to spend over $200. Could I use 1 LiPo and race it all day? Or am I better off with purchasing 2 batteries.

Thanks!
Joe
Any normal 2s Lipo will fit. You can definitely use one good Lipo all race day. Thats what i do. I would suggest an Onyx 230 charger. Its fairly cheap, has a built in fan, and has pretty good charging power/options. For a battery, it depends on your budget outside that charger. Theres lots of options on batteries.
__________________
Dan Fowler
Getting out of the hobby... Check out my for sale thread.
TC4Racer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:07 PM   #9727
Tech Regular
 
tr1kstanc3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 357
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC4Racer123 View Post
Any normal 2s Lipo will fit. You can definitely use one good Lipo all race day. Thats what i do. I would suggest an Onyx 230 charger. Its fairly cheap, has a built in fan, and has pretty good charging power/options. For a battery, it depends on your budget outside that charger. Theres lots of options on batteries.
If I go with the Onyx 230 charger, do I need to purchase a lipo balancer as well? I currently have a Novak GTB with a Velociti 4.5 motor. How important is having a high discharge rate on the lipo itself? I see 20c, 40c, and 50c in the descriptions of the batteries themselves.
tr1kstanc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:16 PM   #9728
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 12
Default

I have a TC4 that was picked up a few months back from a guy that ran it once, bent a hinge pin, and set it on the shelf. The car is in new condition, minus the shocks that need a rebuild and a few bent parts that I have been able to replace.

My question for you all is how much longer will Associated support this car? I ask as I have had a hard time getting parts at most any LBS I have been to. I travel in my job, and typically stop into hobby shops to see what they have. Not many keep parts on hand for this car. Are parts pretty easy to source online? Are there any concerns over finding parts for this rig?

I guess I am asking as I want to know if selling to a vintage racer now would be better than waiting another year or so. I have $110 into the chassis as note.

BB
BikeisDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:26 PM   #9729
Tech Adept
 
AzRon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 113
Default

If you have a LHS that will order for you than go that route, if not google losi parts house, they cover a wide variety of cars so you should find what you need. I have had luck in the past on e-bay for parts and rollers for my TC3 so more options for you. Good luck and good racing. AzRon
AzRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:30 PM   #9730
Tech Master
 
trerc's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,821
Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeisDusty View Post
I have a TC4 that was picked up a few months back from a guy that ran it once, bent a hinge pin, and set it on the shelf. The car is in new condition, minus the shocks that need a rebuild and a few bent parts that I have been able to replace.

My question for you all is how much longer will Associated support this car? I ask as I have had a hard time getting parts at most any LBS I have been to. I travel in my job, and typically stop into hobby shops to see what they have. Not many keep parts on hand for this car. Are parts pretty easy to source online? Are there any concerns over finding parts for this rig?

I guess I am asking as I want to know if selling to a vintage racer now would be better than waiting another year or so. I have $110 into the chassis as note.

BB
Ebay, First things first, buy a Parma Hard bumper for the TC4 and you will rarely need parts. http://www.ampdraw.com/product.php?u...productid=1100

Keep an extra steering rack on hand other than that the TC4 is a very tough
car with a good bumper. The front end is quite fragile without...
__________________
If it smells burnt up.. it's more than likely hot.. you don't have to touch it..
trerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:55 PM   #9731
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 12
Default

Thanks for the info. I think the bumper is a good investment as my son will drive the car as well.

BB
BikeisDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:47 PM   #9732
Tech Master
 
trerc's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,821
Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Default

Yes you will definitely want the bumper. The stock bumper is quite narrow and pretty soft, you will break caster blocks among other things left and right with little effort. Believe me you may not know it but the bumper will likely pay for itself the first time out. I don't consider it optional, more of a necessity.
__________________
If it smells burnt up.. it's more than likely hot.. you don't have to touch it..
trerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:16 AM   #9733
Tech Adept
 
Humyu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 204
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Humyu Send a message via Skype™ to Humyu
Default

Hi, sory for the newbee question but anyone have tried a titanium main drive shaft?
__________________
.........
Humyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:22 PM   #9734
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 546
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr1kstanc3 View Post
If I go with the Onyx 230 charger, do I need to purchase a lipo balancer as well? I currently have a Novak GTB with a Velociti 4.5 motor. How important is having a high discharge rate on the lipo itself? I see 20c, 40c, and 50c in the descriptions of the batteries themselves.
Yes. I am using an Equinox balancer. Where your wires to the plugs would usually plug into your charger, you plug in the equinox, and plug your battery into that, and it balances while your charging.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Cell-Balancer
__________________
Dan Fowler
Getting out of the hobby... Check out my for sale thread.
TC4Racer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:25 PM   #9735
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 546
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humyu View Post
Hi, sory for the newbee question but anyone have tried a titanium main drive shaft?
Why would you want to? Its not like your driveshaft will have any risk of breaking. Some people use a carbon fiber driveshaft though. For people who do- what are the advantages to that? Just slightly lighter total weight?
__________________
Dan Fowler
Getting out of the hobby... Check out my for sale thread.
TC4Racer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Team Losi XXXS G+ with parts!! Team Orion V2 Hitec 5625 cola R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 9 06-18-2008 08:11 PM
BATTERIES - Team Orion 4200 SHO Team Cells (6 cell) packs................... For Sale 2-Bad Australia For Sale/Trade 0 03-21-2008 02:16 AM
New Items for Sale Tamiya F103gt Chassis Kit, Team Much More CTX-D, Novak, Team Orion Tsquare R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 14 04-17-2007 08:29 PM
>>> BRAND STINKING NEW NEVER RAN TEAM JAMMIN FACTORY TEAM FTE RACING BUGGY <<<< mach51 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 01-25-2007 09:13 PM
F/S Team Associated Factory Team RC18T with Mamba Comp X Brushless and Extras ZeroCool101 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 7 01-07-2006 01:54 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
_dave
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:36 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0