R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-03-2010, 03:58 PM   #9631
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yah, the info isnt new or anything. I ran these parts on my Tc3 WAAAAYYY back when. Just posting it up for those that ask...
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:31 PM   #9632
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Real nice TC4 DaveW, Makes me miss my tubby. You tried the car without the top plate, I know it reduces a lot of flex. What tie rod ends are you using?
Old 01-03-2010, 05:41 PM   #9633
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
Just curius, but why the added chassis brace ?? most of the newer designs have a lot of chassis flex for rubber racing ... you took a stiff tub chassis and made it even stiffer.
Rojna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:42 PM   #9634
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Sure can, but some of the most recent changes wont get tested till mid week... maybe Tuesday or Wednesday tho.

I focused on the speedo setup first part of yesterday's practice (throttle response/timing with the 17.5/VFS-1), and then the chassis afterwards. I ran out of time to make my last set of chassis changes at the track, so im doing them now at home for next week.

XRAY springs are still on the car, i gave all my AE springs to a friend for his Tc3. I was running white and yellow(XRAY) with the sways. Ive settled on the 20 and 25lb springs(XRAY) for the new setup. They made a big difference in chicane transition and overall response. Are you still on the large outdoor track you sent pix of? Were indoor on carpet/rubber tires now. Too cold for asphalt.

Snag those Losi parts. Its worth the effort.

Yea Dave i am still running on that track ,I remember a while ago you posted about using the 6deg caster blocks,and now see a couple in your pics.So how did that go for you? also in your pm to me you said the higher speeds will change shock spring/oil choice and likely change the front camber link position. Ive addressed the spring and oil but unsure where to go with the camber link position.
Cheers Dave
Toolmannz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:52 PM   #9635
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trerc View Post
Real nice TC4 DaveW, Makes me miss my tubby. You tried the car without the top plate, I know it reduces a lot of flex. What tie rod ends are you using?
I will retry it w/o the plate again Wednesday. Before, w/o the plate on foam tires, the car would "hit a wall" and just wouldnt go any faster. Didnt matter what was done, lap times stayed the same. I added the top deck and made a few changes and found almost two laps. It does so well for what it is... id hate to give up on it.

The turnbuckles are Lunsford Titanium, and the ballcups are Schuie ballgrippas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojna View Post
Just curius, but why the added chassis brace ?? most of the newer designs have a lot of chassis flex for rubber racing ... you took a stiff tub chassis and made it even stiffer.
The Tc4 tub has quite a bit of flex in it. It flexes more than the Tc3 tub for sure. The top plate has worked out so far. My only complaint is i cant seem to get rid of enough rear grip now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolmannz2 View Post
Yea Dave i am still running on that track ,I remember a while ago you posted about using the 6deg caster blocks,and now see a couple in your pics.So how did that go for you? also in your pm to me you said the higher speeds will change shock spring/oil choice and likely change the front camber link position. Ive addressed the spring and oil but unsure where to go with the camber link position.
Cheers Dave
I tried the 6 deg caster blocks and they worked really well with the heavier NiMh and brushed 19t setup (weighed in around 1665 if i remember correctly). The car had gobs of on power steering and went wherever i put it. With the LiPo and brushless setup it seems to like around 5 degrees of caster (weighs in real close to 1400 now). As far as the shims and links, ill send pix once i get the car back together, and after i hit the track Wednesday. Im sure it will change quite a bit before Saturdays race.
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:57 AM   #9636
Tech Master

Quote:
I will retry it w/o the plate again Wednesday. Before, w/o the plate on foam tires, the car would "hit a wall" and just wouldnt go any faster. Didnt matter what was done, lap times stayed the same. I added the top deck and made a few changes and found almost two laps. It does so well for what it is... id hate to give up on it.

The turnbuckles are Lunsford Titanium, and the ballcups are Schuie ballgrippas.

The Tc4 tub has quite a bit of flex in it. It flexes more than the Tc3 tub for sure. The top plate has worked out so far. My only complaint is i cant seem to get rid of enough rear grip now.
Yes the stiff top plate is great for foam tires, but I think if you were to remove it with the rubber tires you'll find that extra rear grip your looking for. With the newer cars all rubber spec car have a good amount of chassis flex which helps the chassis absorb the track a much better. Foam cars still run stiff chassis as grip is not usually an issue with foam tires but too much grip often is.

You can definitely use the top plate as a tuning tool when switching between foam and rubber tires. Keep us informed on how the testing goes without the top plate. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the difference in handling.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:06 AM   #9637
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trerc View Post
Yes the stiff top plate is great for foam tires, but I think if you were to remove it with the rubber tires you'll find that extra rear grip your looking for.
Quote:
My only complaint is i cant seem to get rid of enough rear grip now.

Maybe two to plates?
balistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:54 PM   #9638
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Quote:
Losi on the left, AE on the right.

The Losi rear hub is 0 degree toe, and no axle offset. It also uses vertical ballstuds. There are two Ackerman positions on the Losi front steering knuckle. You will never use the furthest one out, i just cut them off. You can also see more clearance for the dogbone to go though the Losi caster block, and its definitely chunkier than the AE offerings. Using both front and rear Losi assemblies also widens the car, and aids in stability.
Do you have part numbers on these?
Dusttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:50 PM   #9639
Tech Elite

What pinion/spur do you guys recommend with an lrp stock spec x-12 13.5?
Old 01-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #9640
Tech Elite

Anyone?
Old 01-08-2010, 10:07 AM   #9641
Tech Master

On a track??? How big is the track??? You question lacks information...
Old 01-08-2010, 02:40 PM   #9642
Tech Elite

sorry 7500 square feet... good size

West Coast Rc
Old 01-09-2010, 06:43 PM   #9643
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to ScottyTC4NZ
Cool New to RC

Hi All

I'm Currently runing a TC4 ex Toolmannz2 it is the best car i have as it my second car, it makes my Kyosho TF-5 look like shit.

What ESC is the best to use for stock class (silver can motors,1300ma batteries NiCad)?

What is a good hi-speed servo for use to give me quicker turning?

If anyone can help it would be great

Jamie
Dunedin Onroad Club
New Zealand
ScottyTC4NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:59 AM   #9644
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusttt View Post
Do you have part numbers on these?
?
Old 01-12-2010, 07:51 AM   #9645
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyTC4NZ View Post

What ESC is the best to use for stock class (silver can motors,1300ma batteries NiCad)?
TEKIN FX Pro

Rojna is offline   Reply With Quote