Search
Like Tree300Likes

Team Associated TC4

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 08:06 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mlight13
Is the TC4 RTR still competitive? I am on a limited budget and I was also thinking of the Hot Bodies Cyclone S, but I don't want to buy a new chassis after it breaks every race day. I will be mainly running in the 17.5 stock class while I learn to drive a 1/10 Touring Car and I will probably move down to 13.5 max car so will the TC4 be ok? 90% of the cars at my local tracks are high end TC5's, Cyclone's, and XRay's which are all belt driven and too expensive for me right now. Thanks for any input...
I'm running one I got used in the VTA class. It's working well and has been very competitive for me. It's also quite durable and parts are readily available. There's always someone at the track that has one or at least used to run one and can help you out with any problems.

I will agree that when you get to 13.5 you will probably need another car. But this would be a great choice to get started with and continue to run in stock classes even if you get into modified stock with another car.

Have fun!
Old 07-24-2009, 05:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tazz888
All that is allowed in VTA are HPI vintage racing tires in D compound.
Ahhh... i havent used those tires at ALL. lol My setups have prolly way too much steering for those. Can you post your setup, and share what you would like to change in how it drives? That would prolly be most effective.

I ran some 19t this past weekend... goin back for more 19t practice tomorrow. The Tc4 is very "smooth", by my tastes... and more consistent with the top deck. Love that shaft drive sNap!
Old 07-24-2009, 05:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DaveW
Ahhh... i havent used those tires at ALL. lol My setups have prolly way too much steering for those. Can you post your setup, and share what you would like to change in how it drives? That would prolly be most effective.

I ran some 19t this past weekend... goin back for more 19t practice tomorrow. The Tc4 is very "smooth", by my tastes... and more consistent with the top deck. Love that shaft drive sNap!

You might be surprised on the amount of steering you would have... The VTA rear tires are 31mm wide compared to 26mm wide tires up front. After the tires tack up they stick pretty well!
Old 07-25-2009, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Thirtybird
You might be surprised on the amount of steering you would have... The VTA rear tires are 31mm wide compared to 26mm wide tires up front. After the tires tack up they stick pretty well!
Yeah i can imagine... thats why i said most of my setups prolly have too much steering for those tires... and why i suggested posting his setup and what he would like different so we could chime in on what might help.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Midday today i decided to try 6 degree blocks (2F+2R shims under the front blocks, previous was 4 degree blocks with 3F+2R under the front blocks... @5 degrees of caster with kickup) and adjusted the setup to get them to work. I searched the AE setups... couldnt find where anyone used 6 degrees of caster on either the Tc4 or the FT Tc4.

I only had a pack and a half total on the changes, but lemme tell ya what... holy CRAP this thing carries some speed through the corners now!!! Its still a little twitchy for my taste... but when youre up on the wheel its VERY direct, and on throttle steering is nice and predictable. -1% change on either throttle expo or steering expo was VERY distinct... going from -3 to -4% throttle expo made the car turn in and come off the corners much easier, and the slow chicane was a breeze.

After half a pack on the setup (about 10 minutes), i trued my 19t (blue Epic teardown w/bushings and handwound Fantom 19t arms)... went up a tooth on the pinion, and moved all four shocks in one hole on the towers. Then i dropped in a fresh 4600 pack and rechecked rideheight and tweak. Once the tires were ready i tried it out (same tires, same prep). It definitely had more sidebite thru the sweeper... was a tad unstable rolling on to full throttle thru the fast chicane onto the back stretch (the rear wiggled a little bit where it didnt before), then was a little lazy thru the slow chicane. I think i like the previous shock positions... but i need more time than a pack to decide... i did pick up a little more power with the fresh motor (i swapped armatures and brushes every two runs).

Anyone else try 6 degrees of caster?? I can add a pic of the car and its current setup if anyone wants... its a lot different than it was last week.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Currently I don't have a "running setup" in the car. Just looking for a good starting point for VTA since I have never ran on pavemet before. Always have been a carpet guy and never ran a VTA car before.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

HI GUYS,

Im looking for a good set up starting point for my FT TC4 on med grip carpet racing on foams, motor type is 540 silver can on medium size track.

Thanks guys.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:56 PM
Tech Elite

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So... no one has used 6 degree blocks?! BUMP!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by tazz888
Currently I don't have a "running setup" in the car. Just looking for a good starting point for VTA since I have never ran on pavemet before. Always have been a carpet guy and never ran a VTA car before.
Im assuming youll be runnin at The C? You might wanna start your setup with 2 degree caster blocks... and build around that. Are you using AE springs? Bladder shocks?

Bladder shocks will change a few things about your setup. If you get the car on the track and it rolls a lot with reasonable spring rates and reasonable roll center adjustments (high grip) then you will want to switch to a bladder shock setup and move the springs and roll center adjustments down a notch or so. Try to get the car to work with no more than 30lbs of spring rate on either end, and 40 to 60wt oils (i use Losi oils, primarily for color verification).

A suggestion... if you run bladderless caps, run #2 pistons front and rear on a high bite track. If you run bladder caps, run #1 pistons and go up 10wt in oil choice over the bladderless setup. I almost always run 5 or 10wt higher in the front versus the rear shocks. It helps to calm weight transfer to the front off throttle... and make it a little more consistent feeling.

I have been using XRAY springs on the Tc4 for a LONG time now. I have to say... i will never go back to AE springs. Any TC i buy other than AE, better be able to fit XRAY shock springs. lol True story, years ago i was struggling with the Tc4 (foam tires/ozite) and couldnt get the car to go any faster. The higher the grip... the slower it went. It was always the fastest the first qually of the day. As the grip came up... the car fell off HARD. I tried all kindsa stuff... even a top deck that had been released back then that was supposed to help the car (pre-FT Tc4). I tried a friends XRAY springs on the car to see if the rates were comprable... the next weekend the car had gained a full lap just in choosing proper spring rates front and rear from the XRAY set. Night and day difference.

These two things will change your setup greatly. Either a bladder cap or non bladder cap shock setup... and quality springs. Other than that you can prolly start off with any base setup off the AE website for asphalt and dial from there.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:02 PM
Tech Elite

In case anyone wanted to see.

Front.

Rear.

Misc.

The front sway, and rack ballstud washers (.060 and silver ballstuds).

Check the rear sway.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:33 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey Dave nice setup can you tell me why is it you prefer the tub chassis over the FTTC4? I run 3 FTTC4s 2 on ashphalt and one indoors on astroturf .
Ive never run the Tub chassis as I went straight from a FTTC3 to the FTTC4s.
just interested if the Tub is any better in some respects as im very happy with carbon fibre models.
cheers Dave
Old 08-01-2009, 06:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Toolmannz2
Hey Dave nice setup can you tell me why is it you prefer the tub chassis over the FTTC4? I run 3 FTTC4s 2 on ashphalt and one indoors on astroturf .
just interested if the Tub is any better in some respects as im very happy with carbon fibre models.
cheers Dave
I suppose with the TC4 being only made as the tub in the RTR nowadays makes it the only way you can still buy the car new. Tub parts easier to get over the FT parts?
Old 08-01-2009, 07:31 AM
Tech Elite

Yes they are. And cheaper too. you could probably rebuild the whole car from spare parts, alone. 60% of my car has parts that has been replaced at one point in time.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

In case anyone wanted to see.
Looks like a TC4 set up for foam with rubber tires
Old 08-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Tech Elite

cheers Dave
Well, once upon a time we had a local racer that loved to hack you anytime you were near him. I was running the FT Tc4 at the time and really liked it (i just dislike the aluminum roll center ballstud mounts)... but i got tired of this tool tearing up my batteries and worrying when he was gonna hit me just right and something short out and my car catch on fire. I went back to the tub chassis primarily for protection.

Out of all of the chassis AE has made, i still prefer my Tc3 graphite tub. I have Tc3 suspension mounts modded for Tc4 arms and pins so they can be installed on the Tc3 chassis, and they allow some up and down roll center change as well. I REALLY like the way that car handles... but if a mount is broken (its still plastic) im out of the race. I havent made any duplicates as of yet.

Astroturf? Is that similar to what is used on a tennis court? How does that compare to asphalt in regards to traction?

Originally Posted by Scooter79rs
I suppose with the TC4 being only made as the tub in the RTR nowadays makes it the only way you can still buy the car new. Tub parts easier to get over the FT parts?
Tub parts are easier to find for sure. lol I have three Tc4 tub chassis, one FT chassis, two or three Tc3 chassis and so many freekin parts its retarded. I really dont wanna retire my Tc4 for this very reason.

Originally Posted by Foxxrocket
Yes they are. And cheaper too. you could probably rebuild the whole car from spare parts, alone. 60% of my car has parts that has been replaced at one point in time.
Do you know if the RTR comes with the black rubber shield bearings? I need to find some more AE teflon shield bearings.

Originally Posted by Rojna
Looks like a TC4 set up for foam with rubber tires
Im gonna have to pull out some of my old setup sheets. I dont think i ever ran front inboard toe out before on carpet with foams. It seems to work well on this setup so far.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:42 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Astroturf over here is the same as the outside Tennis and Hockey type surface,
it hasnt got a lot of grip but we use Foams to get traction.
It probably compares to slightly dusty asphalt for traction,its okay but not great but its ours only indoor venue and its still a great nights racing.
Ive been playing around with foam indoors carpet settings on the car but they have all been useless the car just steps out in the back when powering on.
The only setup I have had any luck with is my outdoor Rubber tire setup but using Foams. DaveW Could you post some of your old FT setups for me to have a look at or pm me about them.

Cheers David
Old 08-02-2009, 07:33 PM
Tech Elite

Astroturf over here is the same as the outside Tennis and Hockey type surface,
it hasnt got a lot of grip but we use Foams to get traction.
It probably compares to slightly dusty asphalt for traction,its okay but not great but its ours only indoor venue and its still a great nights racing.
Ive been playing around with foam indoors carpet settings on the car but they have all been useless the car just steps out in the back when powering on.
The only setup I have had any luck with is my outdoor Rubber tire setup but using Foams. DaveW Could you post some of your old FT setups for me to have a look at or pm me about them.

Cheers David
Ok... same stuff i was thinking it was. Ive run on a tennis court before... and if its clean its got good grip. Otherwise its like you said, running on unprepared asphalt that provides minimal grip.

Ill pull my old setups out and go through them to see if there is anything good. If so ill scan em and send em your way, but im pretty sure everything low grip i ran a Tc3. Can you send me your current setup, the one youve been using thats working for you? Theres gotta be something that will work, so you can get some on power grip. How about studded snow tires?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.