R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-09-2009, 11:04 PM   #9466
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxxrocket View Post
Some people say that the TC4 isn't competitive enough to compete with the newer, and lighter belt cars. But my TC4 came in no lower than 2nd place in all heats and main. I was beat for 1st by a TC3. Ironically, none of the TC5s and XXR came even close to reaching 1st or 2nd.
I don't doubt the tc4 at all. In my first race, I was able to compete. Unfortunately, I broke and could not finish. I'll be attending my second and third race this weekend. At the club level, I think we can all agree that driver and setup matter more than the actual car. I do have to believe at some point, a good driver will "out grow" the TC4. Some will reach this point very quickly and some never will. As long as you are having fun, who cares.

If you don't mind me asking you Foxx, have you driven a new car extensively? What were the results?

--pakk
Old 06-10-2009, 12:26 AM   #9467
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I like my TC4 I have no real problems against it, its a good car. The only reason why its going to get replaced as my main racer (by a TC5) is due to the internal drive ratio and I can't put on pinions 41 and bigger, thats it. I've got two containers full of spares so that isn't a problem, and I'm yet to break it at my local club.

With a way undergeared 17.5 along the blue line I've been able to pull a 21.444 second lap time and a correctly geared belt car has done it in the 20's and the whole track is on a slope.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:29 AM   #9468
Tech Elite

Have you switched to 64p? What FDR are you looking for? I can get just about and FDR I want with 64p.

--pakk
Old 06-10-2009, 12:43 AM   #9469
Tech Master

I'm not running 64p, 64p is hard to get locally and probably isn't best for durability on an outdoor with grass next to a brick factory and bmx track.
I ran with 68/39 at 4.3
Old 06-10-2009, 05:08 AM   #9470
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Good Info

Thanks for the good info on the car. One item no one has talked about is parts. Are they still made and available? Or is this something I really need to think about if in the futire they will stop production?

Thanks again for all your help.
Dirt Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:51 AM   #9471
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Racer View Post
Thanks for the good info on the car. One item no one has talked about is parts. Are they still made and available? Or is this something I really need to think about if in the futire they will stop production?

Although parts might be harder to get nowadays, but TC3/TC4/NTC3/B44 use a number of parts that are shared amongst each other, some TC5 parts will even fit TC4.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:51 AM   #9472
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Racer View Post

You are going to find it hard to find parts in the stores, but the amount of parts online are endless. If you don't mind ordering online, you won't have a problem finding anything.

--pakk
Old 06-10-2009, 08:08 AM   #9473
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

As cheap as these cars sell for anymore buy a second one and break it up for parts. That way you've got EVERYTHING. Then just replace those bits as you use them--and those parts will be available online for pretty much as long as you'll ever want to run the car. That's the GREAT thing about Associated.

I did the same thing when I upgraded to the TC5 (bought a lightly used car and broke it up) which wasn't quite so inexpensive. No place we race has an on-site shop so you're at the mercy of what anyone has, parts-wise. I HATE having to scratch a race because I couldn't replace a part so I make sure I've got everything.

As far as "can it be competitive" the answer has been given--absolutely. My "tubby" TC4 (with absolutely no maintenance or tuning) runs on the same tenth of a second as the two Xray T2-007's here in Vintage TA. I won the last two races with it. The ONLY downside to the TC4 (and TC3) is that they're a BITCH to make setup adjustments (ie. anti-dive/anti-squat, toe at the arms, etc) compared to the newer cars. But once you've got it dialed in who really messes with that stuff anyway?

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:35 AM   #9474
Tech Elite

I never have trouble getting parts for my TC4 at the hobby shops. If they don't have a part I need, then they order it. And I have enough spare parts to keep my car running.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:21 PM   #9475
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Last edited by Tiger72; 06-11-2009 at 06:25 PM. Reason: delete
Tiger72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:22 PM   #9476
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Setup help?

OK, this thread is HUGE. I just recently started racing a used TC4 tub in a VTA class on high traction carpet with a 4 cell 17.5 combo. The car just got setup last night at a race with the help of other racers and their setup tools. Big difference!

So I'm wondering if anyone here is willing to share their setups? I found many in this thread but their for outdoor.

Thanks for the help.
Tiger72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:31 PM   #9477
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter79rs View Post
The only reason why its going to get replaced as my main racer (by a TC5) is due to the internal drive ratio

... I ran with 68/39 at 4.3
Robinson has a 60T spur in 48p That should allow you to run any gear ratio you need.
Rojna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:24 AM   #9478
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I'm doing pretty well with my Team Kit TC4 (tubby) but I'm looking to begin tuning it for the local track. Some things seem pretty straight forward to me. But one thing I am wondering about it how to adjust the ride height. I know it has Droop screws in the A-arms. Are they what you use to adjust ride height, or something else?

**Just found this on the Team Associated site,
-How can I set the ride height without affecting my droop setting
-You set your ride height and then reset your droop settings.

So now I know droop screws have nothing to do with ride height....
Old 06-12-2009, 10:36 AM   #9479
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan_ View Post
I'm doing pretty well with my Team Kit TC4 (tubby) but I'm looking to begin tuning it for the local track. Some things seem pretty straight forward to me. But one thing I am wondering about it how to adjust the ride height. I know it has Droop screws in the A-arms. Are they what you use to adjust ride height, or something else?

**Just found this on the Team Associated site,
-How can I set the ride height without affecting my droop setting
-You set your ride height and then reset your droop settings.

So now I know droop screws have nothing to do with ride height....
Yep I do RH front & rear then drop...just make sure your drop screws are not stopping/limiting you RH changes...just back'em out.
#47 MoneyShot Racing
www.nashrcracer.com
http://thunder.rc50.com/
SMC - Customer Service 2nd to None! (thanks Dan!!)
speedsterblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:39 PM   #9480
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Hey Speedster, I still havent found out how to adjust ride height. Care to enlighten me?