R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-25-2004, 12:36 AM   #931
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by KilRuf

Here's my TC4 with a few "other" tune ups....
Looking good there also nice Team Bomber Shaft , carbon front bumper support and Square imput shafts.
-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 03:37 AM   #932
Tech Adept

Nightbreed....

If your camera has a Macro mode turn it one and it will allow you to focus on close up objects.

Hope that helps

Andy
Andy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 05:00 AM   #933
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeediePHATT
That is why I am not getting the car for a while so you all can find out all of the problems and get them fixed and figured out before I get one. Thanks Guys.
not a half bad idea
-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 07:02 AM   #934
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Melton
Default Re: Anyone have a setup for foam tires, stock, tight, smooth, ozite carpet track?

Quote:
Originally posted by Nightbreed
With the new shimm system, I'm at a loss.
My car was very good with little changes to the kit shimming. We ran 19T but still carpet like you asked.

I ran the rear end with .050 (2 tabs on shim) under the front and rear block which means you have no anti or pro squat. I tried the lowest setting by not using any shims and ended up liking the .050 better. This may have been because the track was seeing it's first race of the year, and when I was testing it was still a little green. For the front end of the car I ran the same .050 as well.

I used 50wt in the rear with #2's and 60wt in the front with #2's. For the front shock, you have to run inside on the arm for foam tires or they rub pretty bad on the shock ball cup. Location was 1 hole out from inside on tower. I'm sure that as the track works in and I try some more stuff I probably won't stay with this, but it was definatly suffice and very smooth and easy to drive. One other thing you will need to do is dremel the spindle when using foam tires, because they rub right beside where the ball stud is, you will see it, it's only a 10 sec. fix, lol.

51- you have PM.

Last edited by Brandon Melton; 10-25-2004 at 07:20 AM.
Brandon Melton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 07:15 AM   #935
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Melton
Default Plastic diff issues

Many of you mentioned having trouble with the diffs. Here is what i have found with the composite diffs. Throughout the years AE has trained us to run the screw in and back it off 1/4 turn. Well, with the composite outdrives, if you tighten them down all the way, it flexes the plastic pieces and causes the binding or tightness that you are feeling. What I explain next will cure this as well.

Many people I talk to and also myself have had the problem where the diff (rear mainly) feels really good on the pit bench, but then as soon as you come off the race track it feels almost like a spool and the car tightens up half way through the run. Here is how to fix this. On the outdrives them selves where the molding is raised to hold the diff ring in place, file this down slightly but make sure it will still hold the ring in place. What actually happens is that when the diff gets hot, it contracts and starts rubbing on the diff gear itself. You can see the marking on the gear where it has happened, therefore making diff action very stiff during the race. When you file (or lightly dremel with the sanding tool) that piece down, that part of the outdrive no longer rubs the diff gear, and your diff stays smooth throughout the whole race, and you will definatly notice this on the driver's stand as well.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:37 AM   #936
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by bubbles

Tony, haha, ok, questions, here you go...
Sway bars: when? like, when possibally would Associated be shiping to distributers?
Graphite parts: when? when possibally would Associated be shiping to distributers?
4 and 2 'C' carriers: when?...(same as the previous two...)
Locktite: Are later kits going to include locktite?
Steering: Talking with Steve Wang, and he said he was checking out your car. Noticed that the slop in my steering is about the same as yours... You have slop too? Do you see any point to rid the car of that slop?
Kick ass battery strap: Will that nice looking battery strap that was on your car be available in "standard" black woven graphite?
Carbon driveshaft: Any thoughts to bring back the carbon driveshaft?
Steering(again): If I were to move the ballstud(center, connecting to the servo saver arm) on the steering rack further back, would this create a more direct steering feel?
Me: Am I annoying you yet?(not intending to...)
HAHAHA.
Oh boy...what did I do....hahahahha

Ok, ready?

Sway bars should be shipping as we speak. I hope.
Graphite parts. SOME have already been shipped, some are on their way now.
Hub Carriers: Good question. I know we just finished them on Thursday so, ummm, sometime this week they should ship.
Loctite. For what? We have no plans on including any.
Steering Slop: There is a little. That's ok. If it's something that bothers you, you can put THIN shims under the #2221 screw (see your assembly manual) to help rid the steering of that. Be careful not to bind the steering, though.
Battery Strap. No. Only blue. We had a few pre-production samples come in that were black and, well, I grabbed one!
Carbon driveshaft. Nope, blue aluminum from here on out.
Steering (again): Haven't actually tried that. That's on my list of 'to-dos' but, well, theres just to much other stuff to try now!!!!'
You: Nah. This is all you got??? Lightweight...
CompetitionX.com
R Sector / F1 Paint Labs
TPhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 08:37 AM   #937
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to cpatel529 Send a message via Yahoo to cpatel529
Default TC4 Ball Cups??

Anyone using the RPM Ballcups on their TC4? I know that people were using them on their TC3 and wanted to see if it was used for the new car as well.

Also for shock mounting, I do not know if I am a fan of the ballcup method to attach them to the arms. Anyone tried using the method from the TC3??

Any help would be appreciated. Hopefully getting my TC4 soon and cant wait to build.
cpatel529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 08:39 AM   #938
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Roberto Falcon

have you guys noticed that this car is kinda heavy, weighs alot more than my pro4 and my T1R i use to have.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:04 AM   #939
Tech Regular

For shock mount I actually like the X-ray system. There is a little bit of slope because of size difference but it works great. Less chance of stripping out lower shock mount.
Vue Vang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 09:07 AM   #940
Tech Regular

Default Re: TC4 Ball Cups??

Quote:
Originally posted by cpatel529

Also for shock mounting, I do not know if I am a fan of the ballcup method to attach them to the arms. Anyone tried using the method from the TC3??

It stops the threads in the arms from stripping, with the ballcup you just pop it off with out un-doing the screw all the time like onthe tc3 , the mi2 has the same shock mounting

Chazz
Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 09:13 AM   #941
Tech Regular

Hi, i was just wondering does the irs gear adater work on the tc4

Chazz
Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 09:19 AM   #942
Tech Fanatic

Had a chance to look at built TC4 at our local track. Spun the rear wheels and the drivetrain was very tight. Has AE not addressed the gearbox issue or is the kit shimming too tight? Just wondering.
coolrcdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 09:20 AM   #943
Tech Adept

Read back a bit and almost everyone who has had the kit has said the drivetrain is very free.
Andy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 09:24 AM   #944
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Roberto Falcon

for me the drivetrain is not that free when i spin the wheels it doesnt keep spining like my pro 4 does.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:35 AM   #945
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

Quote:
Originally posted by coolrcdad
Had a chance to look at built TC4 at our local track. Spun the rear wheels and the drivetrain was very tight. Has AE not addressed the gearbox issue or is the kit shimming too tight? Just wondering.
First you have to assume the car you saw was actually built correctly. I am sure that is the diff was shimmed incorrectly or if the diff covers were screwed down too tight the drivetrain would not be free. Also, when new, bearings don't spin freely all the time. Even if they are cleaned and relubed. Most bearings need to be broken in. If these bearings are the same teflon sheilded bearing that came with the FT TC3, they are very good and anywhere from 10-20 packs through them will break them in.
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote