R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-04-2007, 06:12 AM   #9091
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schumacher View Post
What is the part number for these Tamiya shims?
I wouldn't have a clue, they are Tamiya 3mm shims
fathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:11 PM   #9092
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Team or FT?

So I slogged through a few dozen pages but figure my time would better be spent simply posting.

My LHS has a fairly small, fresh carpet track. Foam tires only, non-staining traction compound allowed. First I was torn between the XXX-S G+ or the FT TC4. Now, after seeing the support that's still around for the TC4, I think that's where I'm headed. My goal is to get back into racing cheaply and at a basic level while still being able to upgrade and tune/tweak as I improve. The TC4 seems to fit this bill pretty well.

My main question is that I've been thinking I should get the FT version, because it ditches the tub for CF and that's the way it seems most tourers are. However, toward the beginning of this ungodly huge thread, it seemed people thought the tubs were better for carpet because of the reduced flex. Should I be looking for a Team version? Are tubs on carpet the way to go? I guess logically it makes sense, but the weight difference must be pretty big.

So, someone clue me in. Which TC4 do I want, Team or Factory Team?
sad_rocc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:18 PM   #9093
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_rocc View Post
So I slogged through a few dozen pages but figure my time would better be spent simply posting.

My LHS has a fairly small, fresh carpet track. Foam tires only, non-staining traction compound allowed. First I was torn between the XXX-S G+ or the FT TC4. Now, after seeing the support that's still around for the TC4, I think that's where I'm headed. My goal is to get back into racing cheaply and at a basic level while still being able to upgrade and tune/tweak as I improve. The TC4 seems to fit this bill pretty well.

My main question is that I've been thinking I should get the FT version, because it ditches the tub for CF and that's the way it seems most tourers are. However, toward the beginning of this ungodly huge thread, it seemed people thought the tubs were better for carpet because of the reduced flex. Should I be looking for a Team version? Are tubs on carpet the way to go? I guess logically it makes sense, but the weight difference must be pretty big.

So, someone clue me in. Which TC4 do I want, Team or Factory Team?

Just don't even get this car. I had it last season and it's a bear. Always broken, terrible handling. Parts a cheap because they sell so many. Go with a belt driven car. I went X-Ray because it is supported where I live. Million times better car. Totally simple, easy to work on and you don't need to buy all the parts because you don't break it as much. The TA almost made me give up completly. I'm not here to flame, but that car is a POS and there are much better ones out there.

But if you still want one I have a FT for sale with lots of parts for $250.
BeeMain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:41 PM   #9094
Tech Apprentice

Wow, ouch! I had a friend back in the day with a TC3 who loved it and did well and have heard good things about the TC4. I'm looking at older cars because that's all I can afford. MY LHS doesn't support much outside of MT because that seems to be their big sellers. I'm expecting that anything I buy will have to have parts ordered.

I have a budget of about $250 for a RTR competitive (in the newb/sport class) indoor carpet tourer (electrics, motor, battery, charger, etc). Very tight, I know. I want something that still has parts support and aftermarket support. I have nitro electrics that I could steal come winter but I kind of hate to do it. Would still need an ESC too.

Do others share BeeMain's opinion now that this car has aged a bit?
Old 07-23-2007, 04:55 PM   #9095
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I wouldn't recommend the TC4 now, but not for the reasons BeeMain stated.

I've ran the FTTC4 for two years. Never had handling or breakage issues. One other guy at my track ran one as well, and he kicked butt in stock rubber and 19t classes. I did OK, but this kid showed the cars potential.

They're not making all of the replacement parts anymore, and there's not going to be a lot of help for you with setup questions, other than online.

If budget is your main concern you are probably stuck with a used older model. No matter what you choose, parts may be an issue. With any luck, at least most LHS's have/had a decent stock of TC4 parts.

check you local shops and ask what they still have for what cars.
cfwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:56 PM   #9096
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Well, I bought a used FT TC4 last winter, as i was in the smae boat as you are, wanting to get (back) into Sedan/TC racing but not willing to spend 450.00 on a kit, and then still need electronics, motor, etc. I picked up my FTTC4 for under $200.00 in near brand-new condition. It's been a great car for me so far, both on carpet and on asphalt. There's still TONS of support for the car and documented set-ups for just about any track conditions you might run into. Sure, belt-drive cars are all the rage, and all the "fast guys" at your track are running them, and everyone will tell you that "if you wanna be competitive" you need a $600.00 kit, but honestly, IMHO for the first year or so, running in novice and sportsman stock class, the chasis you run isn't going to be your weakness .
The FT TC4 is still a competitive car (in any class with the right driver) and can be had a decent price.
I say run it for a year, and then if you're really into Sedan/TC class drop the dough on a priceyer kit (like a TC5!)

this is just my opinion and really, I don't know squat.

CRC T-Fource
AE TC5
CEN Matrix C-1 FRE
Blisster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:11 PM   #9097
Tech Apprentice

Thanks guys! I've posted on another board as well and am getting a bit sick of the "no belt = not competitive" bs as well as the "it's too old to compete" bs. At my point, it's more about driving than car. Heck, I used to drive an HPI RS4 Sport 2 when the Pro 2 was out and did decently. It seems like most parts are plentiful for the TC4 and it seems as though other brand parts work with little to no modding.

As for setup help, with 300+ pages I'm sure I can glean something. I don't have "local shops", I have A lhs. They're all about the tmaxx's and other MT's because everyone wants the big, badass basher with all sorts of aluminum bling bits. This is their 1st year with the track so I don't know who's going to run what or what the classes will be. I imagine for a little bit, it'll be very informal.

I know with my budget, I'm stuck in the old, used category. But the TC4 seems to have a good following still which means good parts support. Cars like HPI's Pro ones seem to dry up as soon as the next edition comes out.

Thanks for all the responses guys!
Old 07-23-2007, 05:55 PM   #9098
Tech Adept

Yeah, we've actually got an AE Factory driver at my local track who runs a TC5 now, but he was running the FT TC4 up until just a little while ago and is one of the fastest 19t/Mod guys around northern california.

CRC T-Fource
AE TC5
CEN Matrix C-1 FRE
Old 07-23-2007, 06:15 PM   #9099
Tech Apprentice

Sounds like he has a spare FT TC4 hanging out.... Do you know how many parts from the TC5 are compatible with the TC4? I know when the 4 came out there was a decent amount of parts that could be swapped into the 3 for an improvement but according to AE, the 5 is a whole new beast.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:38 PM   #9100
Tech Adept

yeah, i've got no idea yet, since both tracks I run at have the ususal suspects (suspension arms, hinge pins, knuckles, etc.) for the TC4

CRC T-Fource
AE TC5
CEN Matrix C-1 FRE
Old 07-23-2007, 08:12 PM   #9101
Tech Apprentice

Well I'll stick with it. It's not a starters car It's not anyones car. The thig is brutal to work on. The Aluminum socket screws will all strip out (get the Stainless steel kit), the diff housings will strip out no matter what you do, It's brutal to change even the pinion gear. You take 10 times as long to change a motor. It's just a crap design from top to bottom.

My buddy has a T1 04 Xray and it's beautiful to work on and drive. He paid $250 for it used and that included everything, motor, 3 sets of batteries, chassie, body ... and you can still get parts, and all you need are arms and a few steering knuckles. I got a used T2 007 that looked like it just came out of the box for $300, 1/2 price. It's a perfect car. You don't have to spend time on anything. Motor, gears, all there. I changed the whole front end on the drivers side after a MAJOR smash up in less than 15min and I never worked on the car before.

I cannot speak for other brands other than TA and XRay. But TA doesn't hold anything to the XRay. It's just a crappy designed and laid out car.

The TC3 was great ... 10 years ago. There are so many more cars to choose from.

I'd hate to see someone waste so much time on that chassie if they dont' have to.

Be patient and get a good used deal on any XRay and you will be very, very glad you did.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:16 PM   #9102
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 238 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMain View Post
Well I'll stick with it. It's not a starters car It's not anyones car. The thig is brutal to work on. The Aluminum socket screws will all strip out (get the Stainless steel kit), the diff housings will strip out no matter what you do, It's brutal to change even the pinion gear. You take 10 times as long to change a motor. It's just a crap design from top to bottom.

My buddy has a T1 04 Xray and it's beautiful to work on and drive. He paid $250 for it used and that included everything, motor, 3 sets of batteries, chassie, body ... and you can still get parts, and all you need are arms and a few steering knuckles. I got a used T2 007 that looked like it just came out of the box for $300, 1/2 price. It's a perfect car. You don't have to spend time on anything. Motor, gears, all there. I changed the whole front end on the drivers side after a MAJOR smash up in less than 15min and I never worked on the car before.

I cannot speak for other brands other than TA and XRay. But TA doesn't hold anything to the XRay. It's just a crappy designed and laid out car.

The TC3 was great ... 10 years ago. There are so many more cars to choose from.

I'd hate to see someone waste so much time on that chassie if they dont' have to.

Be patient and get a good used deal on any XRay and you will be very, very glad you did.
Baaaaaaa says the sheep

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:48 PM   #9103
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Also look into the Xray T2R, as it runs for just a hair more than $200, but damn near just as good as the T2, though currently it will be hard to find one as Xray didnt expect them to be so popular.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:10 PM   #9104
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik View Post
Baaaaaaa says the sheep
Yeah, OK

There is a reason it is so acknowledged, because it is the best.

Yes, the T2R would be a good pick as well.

If you really want a FT TA TC4, I still have mine. Like I said $250. a tonne of spare parts. If it doesn't sell before I turn it into a drift car ... where suspension and gearing really don't matter.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:24 AM   #9105
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

so back to the tc4 not t1,t2, n all that crap. i have finally broken onto the podium at my local track with my tc4 after using it for the 2nd time. havnt broken netin and ive had a heep of crashes. good as car
____ |_________________ |_| ____|
____ |_(@"@)____________|_|(@)__|

HOP ON BOARD!!
Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote