R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-29-2007, 04:29 PM   #9016
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default tc4 problem

i dont know if you guys recall, i was having a problem with my tc4 diff. i changed the composite out drives to the light weight alloy outdrives by AE, bought the t nut and screw and the different ring that belong to the different outdrive. here my problem, my rear diff does not catch i would say that 85 percent of the motor power is going to the front wheels, im constantly burning out and have no rear power per say. basically i have a front wheel drive TC4. now has anyone changed from the composit to alloy. I think i have done it right, but just for arguments sake, viewing from top, where does the screw and Tnut go which goes on the left side and which goes right. Lastly i see that the tc4 can come with a locked diff or a one piece diff. that for sure will fix my problem but is it worth it?? can i still race with it at the local clubs?
Old 01-29-2007, 06:18 PM   #9017
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AssocRacer Send a message via Yahoo to AssocRacer

you don't wanna put a one way or a spool in the rear end, you'll never be able to turn. I put a spacer under the t-nut when i went from the composite to the steel outdrives. However, you shouldn't have to change the rear ones, if you're breaking rear outdrives, you really need to learn how to drive I only broke front ones when hitting things.
AssocRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 06:43 PM   #9018
Tech Adept

lol. im not breaking outdrives, and i can drive, i just cant figure out why its doing that, well anyway i spoke to guys at AE and i ordered basically everything i ordered again, to do another rebuild. NOW viewing from the top and the front of the car is pointing away from you is the T NUT on the right side of the out drives ir is it on the left???? And i definetly will put spacers in it this time.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:08 PM   #9019
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheech4
lol. im not breaking outdrives, and i can drive, i just cant figure out why its doing that, well anyway i spoke to guys at AE and i ordered basically everything i ordered again, to do another rebuild. NOW viewing from the top and the front of the car is pointing away from you is the T NUT on the right side of the out drives ir is it on the left???? And i definetly will put spacers in it this time.
on the steel and light weight steel diffs the t-nut goes in the long side...
thrust bearing on the short side...
Old 01-29-2007, 08:27 PM   #9020
Tech Adept

thank you very much
Old 01-29-2007, 08:39 PM   #9021
Tech Initiate

engineering classes are great and expensive, but honestly teach you nothing more than how to learn.
you can take materials classes and mostly they teach you about fracture mechanics, lattice arrangements, blah blah blah. it the design for manufacturability that teaches you how the graphite and platics parts are designed and why. however, it is a very unrealistic view to think that any rc company out there produces top of the line kits. the real world functions by designing a reliable product with popular features and do it as cheap as possible and usually with an annual cost reduction of 5-20% in cost.
sleepy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:20 PM   #9022
Tech Adept

can anyone tell me what the correct wheel nut size is for the tc4 rtr. im hearing 8/32. but with that nut you need a 3/8 nut driver. i know for sure that my tc4 does now have a 8/32 nut cuz im using a 5.5 mm or 11/32 nut driver nut driver, which is smaller than a 3/8 nut driver. so if someone can clarify what nut it is that will be great cuz i dont want to buy a wrong set.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:29 PM   #9023
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

the nut drivers you need on the tc4 is

3/16, 1/4, 11/32, 5.5, 7mm, 8mm (what the manual suggest)

the wheel nut is an 8-32 part 6943 from the manual.

http://aedownloads.com/downloads/man...rtr_manual.pdf

if you look at the manual, page 16, it shows you what wheel nut.

of course you can always buy 8-32 locknuts at your local store with nylon inserts for like 100 for 5$ ;-) hahaha
RCMits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:36 PM   #9024
Tech Adept

thank you
Old 01-30-2007, 07:29 PM   #9025
Tech Initiate

cheech...dude i told you that TWICE on the other forum. next time, please dont ask me and then post in a dozen places over the net.
sleepy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:01 PM   #9026
Tech Adept

sleep, i know, it i just wanted to here from other people. just wanted an answer quick so i posted in a bunch of places.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:09 PM   #9027
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheech4
diff assembly drawing

here is a drawing ae's site showing the difference between how the steel/alloy diffs and the plastic diffs are put togather.
LJae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:39 PM   #9028
Tech Adept

now that is what i wanted to see, NOW i know why its not working, basically i was putting it together as if it were the molded diff assembly. I didnt know hmmm, thanks again
Old 02-01-2007, 10:09 PM   #9029
Tech Initiate

Default Turning radius

Hi,

My track has just set up a new layout with lots of tight turns. Whats the best setup for a tight turning radius? Do I want the front springs really stiff? I'm using Barry Baker's setup for foam on carpet with a little more camber (-2.5deg), it's not bad but I need a smaller radius.

Thanks
MleedM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:30 PM   #9030
Tech Initiate

Default Thoughts on front sway bar

What are your thoughts/experience with the front sway bar? What effects does it have? Seems to really stiffen up the suspension.
MleedM is offline   Reply With Quote