R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-14-2007, 06:31 PM   #8956
Tech Regular
 
peded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 391
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

I have some questions about body issues.

1. How many holes(range) up do you guys trim your front and rear body posts?

2. How many turns out do you suggest for the diff setting? Front and rear? I'm running in stock foam sedan and plastic gears in both diffs but front has lightend metal outdrives.

3. Do you strip your diff cases alot? I seem to go though mine quick. Any fixes?
peded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:27 PM   #8957
Tech Master
 
Dane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Athens , GA
Posts: 1,553
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Dane Send a message via Skype™ to Dane
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peded
I have some questions about body issues.

1. How many holes(range) up do you guys trim your front and rear body posts?

2. How many turns out do you suggest for the diff setting? Front and rear? I'm running in stock foam sedan and plastic gears in both diffs but front has lightend metal outdrives.

3. Do you strip your diff cases alot? I seem to go though mine quick. Any fixes?
I've always ran them tightened per instructions. The diffs operate very smoothly but if they aren't tightened properly, they will basically turn into a huge grain of sand rolling around in the diff cases. =)

A big problem which unfortunately which was never properly addressed in the TC4 updates is the diff case. The carbon/plastic is somewhat soft so you must use care when you thread screws into them. Use a 4-40 tap and tap the holes in a new piece to help slow the effects of stripping. When you install the screws, place the screw lightly in the case and apply a small amount of pressure with your hex driver and turn the screw counterclockwise. When you feel the screw drop into the hole a bit when you turn, you know the threads are meeting with the threads in the plastic. Also, tighten slowly and be careful not to overtighten. When you feel the screw cinch down, stop and take it back 1/4 of a turn.

You can also revive the countless number of "broken cases" that you and everyone else owns with this car. Pour CA into the holes and fill it to the top. Rethreading will be a pain but save you some money on this stupid and annoying problem.

Hope this helps.

BTW - ShaunMac - where you been man? Long time to chat! How was the holiday?
__________________
"the big secret is to keep practicing and never get discouraged when taking a good beating on the track" - Paul L
Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:43 PM   #8958
Tech Elite
 
Brandon Melton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NC
Posts: 2,506
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Melton
Default

The plastic diffs must be loosened more than the steel from full tight setting. It is not uncommon to have to turn the plastic diffs out 1 full turn from locked to achieve proper action. You have to back off the plastic ones more because the plastic gets drawn into each other before the diff spring compresses fully. This doesn't mean it's ran looser, just needs to back the screw out more.

Just make sure you can't easily turn one tire while holding the other tire and spur gear. Theoretically you shouldn't be able to turn it but with the plastic ones you would break the outdrive trying to hard, lol.

Here is a set-up I ran today on FT TC4 on the new age carpet with Paragon and it was really good. Easy to drive, and at one point had too much steering it would traction roll.

Front:
70wt oil #2 piston
30 lb. spring
3rd hole in on tower, inside on arm
1 hole out with black ball stud for camber link
4deg castor
.025 rear shim, and .050 front shim (small amount of kick up)
silver sway bar
2 washers on bell crank with silver stud
1 bump steer washer
outer hole in steering nuckle
-2 deg camber

Rear:
50wt oil #2 piston
25 lb spring
2nd hole in on tower, outside on arm
Longest link (black ball stud) on bulkhead but short at hub carrier
2 deg toe
black sway bar
.075 shims (3tabs) front and rear
-2 deg camber

This was the best the car has felt. I use double pink rear and double pink orange fronts. Sauced tire all the way to orange ring, and full rear.
Brandon Melton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:51 PM   #8959
Tech Regular
 
peded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 391
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Is that setup above for stock foam?

Also how many holes up do you guys trim your body post in the rear?
peded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:22 PM   #8960
Tech Master
 
Dane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Athens , GA
Posts: 1,553
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Dane Send a message via Skype™ to Dane
Default

You mean cut them off? In that case, a couple of holes above where I have it set.

To set them, as long as the bod doesn't rub on the tires, you're fine. Go as low as you can go.
__________________
"the big secret is to keep practicing and never get discouraged when taking a good beating on the track" - Paul L
Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:33 AM   #8961
Tech Elite
 
ShaunMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Loading...
Posts: 3,365
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane
BTW - ShaunMac - where you been man? Long time to chat! How was the holiday?
Been racing carpet in Trenton. Going to Orlando in Feb so I need all the track time on carpet I can get.

You should come up and race if you can make it.
ShaunMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:39 AM   #8962
Tech Master
 
Dane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Athens , GA
Posts: 1,553
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Dane Send a message via Skype™ to Dane
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunMac
Been racing carpet in Trenton. Going to Orlando in Feb so I need all the track time on carpet I can get.

You should come up and race if you can make it.

Nice - good luck up in Orlando - I've always wanted to go and someday will.

I'll be coming back for asphalt season as getting to Sugarbowl is easier. I'm catching the bug with the new AE car and can't wait to dust off my stuff and have a nice, long season.

Catcha' 'round.
__________________
"the big secret is to keep practicing and never get discouraged when taking a good beating on the track" - Paul L
Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:24 AM   #8963
Tech Elite
 
ShaunMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Loading...
Posts: 3,365
Default

There might be a new asphalt track in Trenton when the outdoor season starts up again. It will be the perfect size for Touring cars. It's still pending.
ShaunMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 01:29 PM   #8964
Tech Elite
 
DaveW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 2,960
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Melton
The plastic diffs must be loosened more than the steel from full tight setting. It is not uncommon to have to turn the plastic diffs out 1 full turn from locked to achieve proper action. You have to back off the plastic ones more because the plastic gets drawn into each other before the diff spring compresses fully. This doesn't mean it's ran looser, just needs to back the screw out more.

Just make sure you can't easily turn one tire while holding the other tire and spur gear. Theoretically you shouldn't be able to turn it but with the plastic ones you would break the outdrive trying to hard, lol.

Here is a set-up I ran today on FT TC4 on the new age carpet with Paragon and it was really good. Easy to drive, and at one point had too much steering it would traction roll.

Front:
70wt oil #2 piston
30 lb. spring
3rd hole in on tower, inside on arm
1 hole out with black ball stud for camber link
4deg castor
.025 rear shim, and .050 front shim (small amount of kick up)
silver sway bar
2 washers on bell crank with silver stud
1 bump steer washer
outer hole in steering nuckle
-2 deg camber

Rear:
50wt oil #2 piston
25 lb spring
2nd hole in on tower, outside on arm
Longest link (black ball stud) on bulkhead but short at hub carrier
2 deg toe
black sway bar
.075 shims (3tabs) front and rear
-2 deg camber

This was the best the car has felt. I use double pink rear and double pink orange fronts. Sauced tire all the way to orange ring, and full rear.

Its good to see ya come back to your roots Brandon. Have ya talked to KT lately?
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 01:44 PM   #8965
Tech Master
 
Dane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Athens , GA
Posts: 1,553
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Dane Send a message via Skype™ to Dane
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunMac
There might be a new asphalt track in Trenton when the outdoor season starts up again. It will be the perfect size for Touring cars. It's still pending.

Cool - is Trenton a bad trip from Atlanta?
__________________
"the big secret is to keep practicing and never get discouraged when taking a good beating on the track" - Paul L
Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 05:43 PM   #8966
Tech Elite
 
ShaunMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Loading...
Posts: 3,365
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane
Cool - is Trenton a bad trip from Atlanta?
It's about 2 1/2 hours depending on traffic and the weight of your foot!

Carpet racing is a blast!
ShaunMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:34 PM   #8967
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 78
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Got a Airtronics/Sanwa ERG-WRX servo from a friend and connected to my car. When I turned the power on, there's a constant vibrating sound coming from the servo and when I connect it to the steering and turned the steering, the servos seems weak compared to my Futaba S3003. And the ESC is giving funny behaviour as well. I'm using LRP IPC V6.

What could be wrong?


Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW
... a stock servo can be underpowered to center your steering... but it usually will wander in the last direction turned... wandering BOTH directions... also check to be sure your servo doesnt move... if you hit a board or wall and that force is transferred to the servo and the servo moves then you will have to recenter your radio again to make up for how much the servo moved in the mounts... also, check your servo saver to be sure it is tight.
kytan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:39 PM   #8968
Tech Elite
 
DaveW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 2,960
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytan
Got a Airtronics/Sanwa ERG-WRX servo from a friend and connected to my car. When I turned the power on, there's a constant vibrating sound coming from the servo and when I connect it to the steering and turned the steering, the servos seems weak compared to my Futaba S3003. And the ESC is giving funny behaviour as well. I'm using LRP IPC V6.

What could be wrong?

Does it make the buzzing sound when attached to the steering linkage, or does it buzz all the time with no servo horn attached? If it is NOT attached to the steering linkage and it buzzes all the time, then the potentiometer is most likely shot in the servo, and it should be replaced or repaired. If it only buzzes when it is attached to the steering linkage then either something is binding in your steering linkage and/or it IS a weak servo and it just doesnt have the strength to move the linkage completely to neutral, again, check to be sure your steering linkage moves freely back and forth without the servo attached. If everything moves fine with minimal binding, and the servo still buzzes, you might want to check into a better servo. Something in your price range with a minimum of 75oz/in of torque, and a transit speed of your choice would be a wise investment. One of the first and best upgrades to your TC, next to driving/practice time, it a good solid servo.

DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:57 PM   #8969
Tech Elite
 
AssocRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Greenfield, WI
Posts: 2,292
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AssocRacer Send a message via Yahoo to AssocRacer
Default

sounds to me like a bad servo. I would choose the Futaba 9451 servo, cost about 80 bucks, and it's got a .1 transit speed, which is pretty fast for the price.
__________________
Associated B44.3/Viper/RevTech
Associated B5M/Hobbywing/Orion
S & N's Trackside
AssocRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:53 PM   #8970
Tech Elite
 
Brandon Melton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NC
Posts: 2,506
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Melton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peded
Is that setup above for stock foam?

Also how many holes up do you guys trim your body post in the rear?
It works good in all forms, I tried it in stock, 19, and mod. In mod I was saucing the whole front tire even the orange.
Brandon Melton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Team Losi XXXS G+ with parts!! Team Orion V2 Hitec 5625 cola R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 9 06-18-2008 08:11 PM
BATTERIES - Team Orion 4200 SHO Team Cells (6 cell) packs................... For Sale 2-Bad Australia For Sale/Trade 0 03-21-2008 02:16 AM
New Items for Sale Tamiya F103gt Chassis Kit, Team Much More CTX-D, Novak, Team Orion Tsquare R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 14 04-17-2007 08:29 PM
>>> BRAND STINKING NEW NEVER RAN TEAM JAMMIN FACTORY TEAM FTE RACING BUGGY <<<< mach51 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 01-25-2007 09:13 PM
F/S Team Associated Factory Team RC18T with Mamba Comp X Brushless and Extras ZeroCool101 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 7 01-07-2006 01:54 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
_dave
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:36 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0