Tech Champion

yours broke? how bad was the hit? just curious
punkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 11:33 PM   #872
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Post front arms

A kid at my local track ran his Tc4 today for the first time and on the second or third run he broke his front arm (not a real hard crash)though the car looked real good while it was running .

AWESOMATIX USA-SANWA--BSR--TEAM SCREAM --SWEEP RACING USA--TQ WIRE--ROCHE USA--LRP
Sal Amato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 02:13 AM   #873

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Picked up my TC4 on Thursday. Spent an hour or two today working on the chassis. Rounded the sides with a file, smoothed everything out with 200 grit sandpaper, then wetsanded with 600 then 1500 grit to really smooth it out. Probably not necessary with the new narrower chassis, but it definately looks nicer.

Josh
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 02:16 AM   #874
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default Re: front arms

Quote:
Originally posted by sns820
A kid at my local track ran his Tc4 today for the first time and on the second or third run he broke his front arm (not a real hard crash)though the car looked real good while it was running .
Hmmm now only if some of the on line shops had some in stock
-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 02:19 AM   #875
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Speedo
Picked up my TC4 on Thursday. Spent an hour or two today working on the chassis. Rounded the sides with a file, smoothed everything out with 200 grit sandpaper, then wetsanded with 600 then 1500 grit to really smooth it out. Probably not necessary with the new narrower chassis, but it definately looks nicer.

Josh
Hook up the pictures... it would be nice to see more of these cars in the build up stage
-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 05:37 AM   #876
Tech Champion

we found out some of the reason why clod's car was so lose...corrected that, put it on a setup board, and actually got it close to normal with a setup....only needs stiffer springs, and oil...and i would like to see what everyone else wants to see (swaybars...i cant wait!!) other than that, it was somewhat driveable, just lazy, i think, because it was so soft

the surface is carpet

40wt oil all around
dbl purple tires;blue springs-front
purple tires;silver springs-rear

ended up with the whole rears compounded to get bite coming out of the corners, and half the front compounded to get good turn in

still needs work tho
punkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 07:27 AM   #877
Tech Regular

Hi, i was wondering what the TC4 was like to build (any problems or building tips), as i'm selling two of my cars below to get a new car for the winter championships and i've got to make my mind up kind of soon, as i don't want to be getting a car which has problems and faults.

Chazz
Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 07:33 AM   #878
Tech Adept

The car is super easy to put together. It is just as easy as a tc3. You dont have to test fit the diffs and grind they just run real nice as per instructions. The car drove super smooth and was fast. I normally drive a xxxs and the tc4 was a true rival. I did tap a wall and break an arm. I dont know what ae was thinking when they designed a bumper that doesnt really protect anything besides a near head on crash. But I am quite pleased with it, just gotta learn to keep it out of the wall.
JimMcClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 08:08 AM   #879
Tech Regular

Today I made a few changes to my setup. Mostly for more steering.

As Tony sugested, I lowered my rear camber link using no shims under the rear ballstud. I also took more toe-in out of the rear of the car. First to 2, then ultimately down to 1/2.

Pro Stock was VERY gruesome tonight, Jim placed us all together in one main. First turn there was a five car pile-up, the TQ(Erik R.) was punted to last place, I made up about six positions, then got hit too. Hectic race, very hectic... No breakage what so ever. Very pleased by this too.

Boomer's face picking up car:
Boomer's face as he is droping car:
Boomer's face picking up car again:
My face as Boomer hands my car to me:
I know the chassis is smooth, but to have it slip riiight out of your hands... man...
HAHAHAHAHA, it's all good Boomer.

I took some pictures of my TC4 with the aluminium suspension blocks, but don't have the time to post them now...
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 09:53 AM   #880
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to diskostew

Quote:
Originally posted by bubbles

I took some pictures of my TC4 with the aluminium suspension blocks, but don't have the time to post them now...
Chris, where did you get the blocks? i need to go pick some up... Did tony say when the swaybars will be out???

see ya at SoCal soon... I couldn't get off work in time yesterday...
diskostew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 10:57 AM   #881
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Melton

Thought I would chime in on the first impressions. The car definately builds smoother with alot less preperation time to get it in race condition.

I ran the car yesterday for the first time on carpet. The car was faster than my TC3 with all options and all the years of track time with it. It hit the track running. Although I was pleased to see how good it ran out of the box, it killed me not to have any option parts to play with, because I know I could have made it faster.

I was thinking that with the car at full box weight, and just the stock parts, that on carpet I would not achive the same laps as my TC3 but that was not the case. Ran the kit (with supplemented ball stud sheet) set-up with only shock oil and spring change. Sway bars, toe-blocks, and castor blocks will be nice to finally get a hold of.

51 - I noticed on the parts sheet it lists a lightened outdrive set. Will this be similar to the ones that are offered by AE for the B4, T4. I have some by another company but have never been a big fan of how long they last before getting gritty.
Old 10-24-2004, 12:25 PM   #882
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Brandon, I'm curious, what amount of rear toe-in does it have out of the box? Is it like the R 3+2 blocks the TC3 came with?
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 12:38 PM   #883
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Comes with 3 degree toe in out of the box. Anti-squat, anti-dive is now adjusted with shims.
Old 10-24-2004, 01:08 PM   #884
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Melton

grizzbob- It uses a pivot ball in which the hinge pin fits into, much like that of a xxx-4 if you have seen the red balls that fit into the pivot block. And like Jack said, there are .025, .050, and .075 shims that fit under the pivot blocks for anti or prosquat in the rear. So out of the box you can get 3-0, 3-2, 3+2, and even 3-1 and 3+1 with the new shim technique.

One thing that some locals were talking about last night is how some of the aftermarket companies made their mark in selling chassis' for the tc3 to cure some of the common issues that people faced. Will be interesting to see if these same companies will try and do anything for the new car right off. Now that the batteries, tweak, yada yada have been fixed by AE, about the only advantage these companies have now is rigidity of the thicker pieces of CF commonly used on them.
Old 10-24-2004, 01:36 PM   #885
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Roberto Falcon

have you guys notice that the rear castor blocks wabble like crazy? what can i do to get rid of some of that ?