R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-14-2006, 05:03 AM   #8581
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to bummy

just sum pics of my ft tc4, cleaned and shortend the wiring up since then
let me know what ya think
i race indoor carpet, using speed mind 37's tyres all round.

iam looking to get more corner speed. if i change the rear toe in from -3.0 will that make a change?
Attached Thumbnails
Team Associated TC4-img_0736.jpg  
bummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 05:42 AM   #8582
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to khyron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM03GT
everything said so far seems about right. recap.

plastic (in team kit and RTR):
appearance is darker, slightly shinier, more black
material is softer, more durable, and weighs a slight bit more

"carbon" (in FT kit):
appearance is more of a gray, more fibers are visible
material is stiffer, and weighs a slight bit less

you should be able to tell relatively easily which is which if you are holding both in your hands...
Thank you!
khyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:43 AM   #8583
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to ford_racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bummy

iam looking to get more corner speed. if i change the rear toe in from -3.0 will that make a change?
Looks very nice, I'll have to post some pics when I'm complete with mine
ford_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:45 AM   #8584
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:

Use the circle block on the rear of the car along with the 3.0 X Block. It will give you 2 deg of toe in but keep the car in the "wide stance" to keep the stability.

If thats not possible for you then yes going from 3 to 2.5 or 2 will definitely help the car rotate. I liked using 2.5 block.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:56 AM   #8585
Tech Fanatic

Bummy,

There is trick when using the 2.5 or 2.0 block with the standard square block. Extreme did an article on the FT TC4 and they advised to trim ( I think the right front leg on the rear tranny case),this prevents the arm mount from binding up. I willl look for the article and advise on any other tips they gave.

Later
Kevin Boyle
Kevin Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:13 AM   #8586
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3
there is alot more than just weight distribution changes on the tc4 compared to the tc3.the more improtant changes made to the car which made it handle differently was inboard hinge pin spacing,steering geometry and suspension geometry.the car did well as a shaft car with my chassis kit on it and also with the ft version of the car.to say the ft did nothing impressive is wrong.if you think back to just last year it won the reedy race.on my conversion i didnt bother with mindless changes on the car.i corrected the steering geometry,balanced the car a little better,incorperated flex adjustments, and used more usable camber link adjustments.alot of the things you are listing that make your kit so much better than the rest will not do anything but hurt a shaft car.im not going to bother arguing here anymore because this really is getting to be a joke.this is not the time to be trying to pump your kit up with a new car on the horizon.let the people buy what they like.they chose my tc3 and also have seemed to choose my tc4 conversion.looks like you shouldnt need to tell them how good it is.let the people say it.its a little odd that you need to do that.what ever though,im tired of even looking at these mindless posts you keep posting.attacking people on here because of what they found worked.
I guess this has turned into a pissing contest...

If you read back over the posts carefully I have not attacked anyone for any choice they made. I asked Bob BARRY (got it right this time) to clarify his opinion on the P5500, granted it might have been a little adversarial to him. He did, great. I stated what we have found in our testing and running. My opinion, but every one knows that there will probably be a bias because we sell the conversion, just the same on your end. Yes, there are more weight balance changes in the TC4 but they did not work any better than the TC3. this is why we did an evolution to our P5500TC3 for the chassis conversion rather than a whole new car as out P5500TC3 was considerably faster than the TC4 initially. We just expanded on it for the TC4 version. I listed the advantages that we have incorporated into the TC4 Version of the car for the original poster who was asking about the TC4 chassis which happened to be the P5500tc4. In all honesty the posts were never directed at you or your company and quite frankly, Who's doing the bashing?

As a design philosophy we do not put anything into a design that does not have a specific purpose in order to make the performance of the car improve. If we cannot improve the car over it's stock form we will not even bring out a part. I am not exactly sure how more adjustability would hurt a shaft drive car as the more adjustability you have in a car the more apt you are to find a set-up that is either a good compromise for all types of tracks or optimum settings for a particular track. I don't see real race cars having only a couple of options for settings. Everything has been thouroughly tested and proves to work. We just want the cars to be usable for the most people under the most conditions and be fast.

As far as the TC4 being an inferior car in general. It is a true statement as the TA-05, X-Ray, and Corrally are killing it, though this does not hurt anyone but everyone including ourselves. hence why we try to make it better.
Penguin r/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:35 PM   #8587
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TVMRocket69 Send a message via Yahoo to TVMRocket69

Brion and Jason thankyou for describing both Conversions alittle more clearer. I will printout what U both said and the prices for both kits and I'll let my friend make the decision. I mainly did this because he doesn't have internet acess at this tyme.

Thanks Bob W.
AnswerUSA-RC Team Driver, G's R/C Raceway Team Driver, RBMods Team Driver, Kosmic R/C Fuel Team Driver, MurfDogg Motorworks Team Driver, Serpent S811B, Serpent S811t, MurfDogg Powered V-Desizn Carpet Ripper 5
TVMRocket69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:36 PM   #8588
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

heh, I was a second faster a lap with my Schuie on carpet and probably close to double that on asphalt.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:47 PM   #8589
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMRocket69
Brion and Jason thankyou for describing both Conversions alittle more clearer. I will printout what U both said and the prices for both kits and I'll let my friend make the decision. I mainly did this because he doesn't have internet acess at this tyme.

Thanks Bob W.
Sounds good to me.. I hope he enjoys whichever he ends up with.
Penguin r/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:55 PM   #8590
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:

in order to free up the rear end on carpet most try to minimize the rear-toe in...

2.0 block will help, but you can also run a circle block in the rear in place of a square block to have even less rear toe...

as for trimming the arms or transmission case "legs" to not bind when installing a 2.5 or 2.0 rear block, there is a supplement that comes with the parts outlining what to do... you dont have to take off much material... just enough to ensure the arm cant bind on the case...
Old 06-14-2006, 02:43 PM   #8591
Tech Addict

ok thanks. i will give it a go, i order the -2.5 and -2.0 rear mount.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:44 PM   #8592
Tech Addict

iam sick of damm xray's catching me throught the tight stuff..
Old 06-14-2006, 03:40 PM   #8593
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin r/c
I guess this has turned into a pissing contest...

If you read back over the posts carefully I have not attacked anyone for any choice they made. I asked Bob BARRY (got it right this time) to clarify his opinion on the P5500, granted it might have been a little adversarial to him. He did, great. I stated what we have found in our testing and running. My opinion, but every one knows that there will probably be a bias because we sell the conversion, just the same on your end. Yes, there are more weight balance changes in the TC4 but they did not work any better than the TC3. this is why we did an evolution to our P5500TC3 for the chassis conversion rather than a whole new car as out P5500TC3 was considerably faster than the TC4 initially. We just expanded on it for the TC4 version. I listed the advantages that we have incorporated into the TC4 Version of the car for the original poster who was asking about the TC4 chassis which happened to be the P5500tc4. In all honesty the posts were never directed at you or your company and quite frankly, Who's doing the bashing?

As a design philosophy we do not put anything into a design that does not have a specific purpose in order to make the performance of the car improve. If we cannot improve the car over it's stock form we will not even bring out a part. I am not exactly sure how more adjustability would hurt a shaft drive car as the more adjustability you have in a car the more apt you are to find a set-up that is either a good compromise for all types of tracks or optimum settings for a particular track. I don't see real race cars having only a couple of options for settings. Everything has been thouroughly tested and proves to work. We just want the cars to be usable for the most people under the most conditions and be fast.

As far as the TC4 being an inferior car in general. It is a true statement as the TA-05, X-Ray, and Corrally are killing it, though this does not hurt anyone but everyone including ourselves. hence why we try to make it better.

ok,i guess things were taken the wrong way.i apologize for my comments.i took offense to your statement that your kit is considerably faster than the BMI kit.i do extensive testing on all of my kits and do not release a kit unless it is a drastic improvement over the stock form.im sure your kit works well.i wish you alot of luck with it.again,sorry for the misunderstanding.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:45 PM   #8594
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsaves
Dave,
Thanks for all your help on the FT TC4 set ups. The car just kept getting better all the time.
Tell me what you can say comparing the T2 to the FT TC4?
God Bless
Bryan

Hows it goin Bryan? The T2 is a totally different beast. It took me a while to get used to the way a belt drive responds to throttle input... being used to shaft drive for so long. I added aluminum shocks to it... i just couldnt see having a top end car with plastic shocks... that was really my only pet peeve with it. After making a few mods to it i found room for improvement in the car... there isnt enough roll center adjustment. Now before i get flamed for that statement by some random reader... let me explain... the T2 IS a great car and it DOES handle like a dream... it also happens to be winning most major events at this time... but... that DOESNT mean there isnt room for improvement... The car would be a tweaks dream if it was... yes... more adjustable. I mean, in smaller increments, with larger limitations. With the FTTC4 i could feel a roll center change of only .015... if you added or removed that much from under a ballstud, the car would steer or tighten up accordingly. The T2 however needs to be adjusted twice as much to get a similar feel. The car just didnt have enough steering for me. It does however wear tires evenly, and alot slower than any AE car i have driven. That is most likely because you have to drive the car really smooth to be fast, especially in a class where power is limited... and a bogged motor in any turn can cost you multiple tenths per lap. So if the car was refined a bit more... which i am sure XRAY will do it will be even better than imagined. I did have issues with gearing when the ambient air temperature picked up in the 80's... i couldnt get a motor to run for more than a few laps w/o the comm getting smoked. The driveline was nowhere near as free as my FT was... i could run a high 23 to low 24 rollout with the FT, but to make pace with the T2 i was having to run high 27's... and then some... imagine if i had that much on my FT!! It just didnt need all that gear... the T2 did. Then i shelved my TC's for a break from R/C. And this weekend will be my first time with a transmitter in my hands for months. I have my B4 ready for some fun... Do it in the dirt!!! As always, i will do my best to help out... and hope you guys will return the favor!
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:59 PM   #8595
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barry
What's up Dave, long time no talk. I see you still are dealing out the TC4 knowledge. LOL

The Losi Rear hubs allow you to fine tune your roll centers and your toe in. I used to run my car with the zero deg blocks with I think it was 2 washers. I ran the BMI car so it was a little bit different than the FT car.

In case you guys weren't sure about his setups...Dave's ideas work He's the only guy I know who went back to a tub chassis when everyone else was FT crazy

Now I just have to get you running a Schuie so you can start to mod that car for carpet

BOB! Whats goin on! Remember when i said i was moving? They delayed the move two more months... i have been living out of boxes since... talk about a pain!! They arent done with construction yet... freekin rain! I like that Schuie... Keith Trapp had his before he got shipped out for the Navy... he and i spent quite a bit of time tweeking my T2 and his Schuie... i was practicing like two or three days a week and he was coming out for alot of track time as well. He shipped off... the weather got warm... and noone races the rug anymore. Its too nice to be indoors! Are you running the rug car... or the asphalt car? There isnt alot of differences between the both of them. KT had them both... he was mixing and matching parts to try and get one of them to turn. I think his biggest complaint was the steering, it was fragile on his car... but i dunno if he had a full blown kit or a proto... so.

I still need to get my butt up to the "C" and run again... best freekin indoor asphalt track i have run on and i cant seem to find my way back! Maybe i can get there before i sell the T2.

Last edited by DaveW; 06-14-2006 at 08:38 PM.
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote