R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-10-2006, 01:50 AM   #8551
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to ford_racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford_racing
With the FT TC4 what is the largest size spur you can fit in? also what is the smallest?
Running 48 pitch gears.

Thanks
ford_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 03:31 AM   #8552
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAG_ON
Kraig: Thanks for your information, LOSA 9847--0 deg rear hub i think the one i 'm looking for, thanks mate
Those part numbers are the same as the ones I gave you in the first place...
ralph_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 09:11 AM   #8553
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony390
hey Davew, im just wondering what springs are those (the brand and what lbs)

thanks
Those are AE springs with the color removed. Paint remover will get the color off of them and leave them nice and black... you can polish them with polish compound and a dremel if you want some bling. I was just bored one day...
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 09:43 AM   #8554
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to anthony390

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW
Those are AE springs with the color removed. Paint remover will get the color off of them and leave them nice and black... you can polish them with polish compound and a dremel if you want some bling. I was just bored one day...

lol

looks sick ...how come i did it and it didnt turn out like yours?

its a lighter shade of like a titainumish color, do you know a way i can make it darker?

thanks

Last edited by anthony390; 06-10-2006 at 11:49 AM.
anthony390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:59 AM   #8555
Tech Master

ralf_c: yes i notice that number for the first time, get too exited and didn;t realised that i get the wrong number, and don;t realise that there are 2 type LOSI hub with different offset LOL thanks for your information. I already fix my rear hub with Losi hub.
DRAG_ON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 12:43 PM   #8556
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony390
lol

looks sick ...how come i did it and it didnt turn out like yours?

its a lighter shade of like a titainumish color, do you know a way i can make it darker?

thanks
Hm, i dunno, maybe it was the type of paint remover used? I used a kind i got from Advance Auto used to remove paint from aluminum... and i repeatedly sprayed it on there till the color wrinkled up and came off really easy by rinsing it in cold water in the sink. All of my springs came out like that... except for copper, silver, and black... whatever they were covered with wouldnt come off with my paint remover. Maybe what i used attacked the spring a bit too and caused it to discolor? Either way, they look alot like Losi JRX-S springs... colorwise. I was considering the same thing with my XRAY T2 full spring kit... but im going to end up selling that car and the springs with it.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:43 AM   #8557
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to khyron
Default can someone help me understand what the deal is with "carbon" AE parts?

Okay, I've been confused by this ever since the TC3 era, so hopefully someone here can explain this in better detail. I'm confused by the availability of "carbon" parts for AE kits versus (whatever they're called, I'll just say...) "composite" parts?

For example, let's look at the front arms of the TC4:

These are available as either part #31006 or #31007, the latter being "carbon". What I'm not sure I understand is what's the difference? I just have a Team (not FT) TC4 and I had a Team (not FT) TC3 before it. The composite parts that came with both those kits most certainly do have graphite fibers in them. You can see them and you can feel them when the part breaks or when you sand the part or cut it off the tree, etc.

Are the parts, for example arms, in a Team kit these "carbon" parts? If so, what are the other, cheaper versions for? Are they what come on RTR cars or something? I've never seen an RTR car up close. What are these parts like? Are the smooth, shiny black plastic with no fibers in them?

This has always puzzled the heck out of me and I appreciate anyone drawing a distinction between how these parts look and feel and what kits they come on, thanks!
khyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 02:09 PM   #8558
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by khyron
Okay, I've been confused by this ever since the TC3 era, so hopefully someone here can explain this in better detail. I'm confused by the availability of "carbon" parts for AE kits versus (whatever they're called, I'll just say...) "composite" parts?

For example, let's look at the front arms of the TC4:

These are available as either part #31006 or #31007, the latter being "carbon". What I'm not sure I understand is what's the difference? I just have a Team (not FT) TC4 and I had a Team (not FT) TC3 before it. The composite parts that came with both those kits most certainly do have graphite fibers in them. You can see them and you can feel them when the part breaks or when you sand the part or cut it off the tree, etc.

Are the parts, for example arms, in a Team kit these "carbon" parts? If so, what are the other, cheaper versions for? Are they what come on RTR cars or something? I've never seen an RTR car up close. What are these parts like? Are the smooth, shiny black plastic with no fibers in them?

This has always puzzled the heck out of me and I appreciate anyone drawing a distinction between how these parts look and feel and what kits they come on, thanks!
Actually, I think what has you confused is what the "carbon" in them really is. I know when someone here mentions graphite, people think of carbon fiber plate(& the fibers woven in it), but graphite is actually something else alltogether(though it is frequently one of the ingredients of carbon fiber plate). Graphite is actually a powdery substance which can also be packed in other things(the lead in a pencil is graphite, for example) & in combination with other ingredients can be molded into any number of shapes. Now about using it in R/C car molded parts, when you see fibers in them, those are not the graphite, but pretty much ALL molded parts like those today have such fibers, carbon-filled or not. When graphite is added to them though, it tends to make the parts lighter & somewhat stiffer(but also more brittle at the same time), & that's why they're popular for those parts, they reduce or eliminate flex in them. But it can be hard to spot the difference that easily, though from my experience, the carbon-filled parts tend to be a bit lighter in color(& should also weigh a bit less).....
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:01 PM   #8559
Tech Addict

rear hubs

hey guys just started checking out this thread, & was wondering what is the benefit of running the rear LOSI HUBS? I"ve started 2yrs ago with a TC3 great car with alittle mods. got the FT TC4 not very happy with it,till i got the BMI chassie then the car really came around FOR ME.so please get back with me bout the LOSI HUBS.....thanxs
RcRacing4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:04 PM   #8560
Tech Elite

The standard "composite" parts are good to have in your box... especially the arms. You can swap front and/or rear arms to vary the amount of steering or grip you have at that end of the car w/o making large changes to your setup. A "carbon" set of front arms will generally give you less deflection/twist, and make the car feel like it has less overall steering... but in turn giving it a more direct feel. Standard "composite" front arms can deflect or "twist" more and make the car feel like it is slower to respond to steering input, but feel smoother and easier to drive than the "carbon" counterparts. Rear arm changes are less noticeable in stock and 19T classes... but notable in Mod or high bite conditions. These are small changes... not something you could slap on the car and pick up a second or so per lap... but tenths are possible if the driving is there as well. I just didnt want the standard "composite" to be overlooked as a "tuner" tool.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:22 PM   #8561
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Dave,
Thanks for all your help on the FT TC4 set ups. The car just kept getting better all the time.
Tell me what you can say comparing the T2 to the FT TC4?
God Bless
Bryan
CRC WTF-1
Jsaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:57 PM   #8562
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

What's up Dave, long time no talk. I see you still are dealing out the TC4 knowledge. LOL

The Losi Rear hubs allow you to fine tune your roll centers and your toe in. I used to run my car with the zero deg blocks with I think it was 2 washers. I ran the BMI car so it was a little bit different than the FT car.

In case you guys weren't sure about his setups...Dave's ideas work He's the only guy I know who went back to a tub chassis when everyone else was FT crazy

Now I just have to get you running a Schuie so you can start to mod that car for carpet
Old 06-13-2006, 02:00 AM   #8563
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TVMRocket69 Send a message via Yahoo to TVMRocket69

Has anyone tried the Penguin Chassis conversion and if so do U have a comparison between it and the FT conversion. My friend has the Team car ands wants to convert, but not sure which chassis to get.

Thanks.
AnswerUSA-RC Team Driver, G's R/C Raceway Team Driver, RBMods Team Driver, Kosmic R/C Fuel Team Driver, MurfDogg Motorworks Team Driver, Serpent S811B, Serpent S811t, MurfDogg Powered V-Desizn Carpet Ripper 5
TVMRocket69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:33 AM   #8564
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to khyron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzbob
Now about using it in R/C car molded parts, when you see fibers in them, those are not the graphite, but pretty much ALL molded parts like those today have such fibers, carbon-filled or not. When graphite is added to them though, it tends to make the parts lighter & somewhat stiffer(but also more brittle at the same time), & that's why they're popular for those parts, they reduce or eliminate flex in them. But it can be hard to spot the difference that easily, though from my experience, the carbon-filled parts tend to be a bit lighter in color(& should also weigh a bit less).....
Thank you so much so clarifying this! To make sure I understand...

Okay, so BOTH the "carbon" and "regular" parts are a composite of plastic and fibers and go crunch crunch when you free them from a parts tree or break one, but the "carbon" ones are just stiffer and very slightly lighter? I'm trying to understand how one would even tell them apart once loose in a parts box, do you have to label them to know?

-OR-

Are the "regular" plastic parts completely free of these fibers, looking shinier and blacker and more like other common "plastic" parts like a Grasshopper chassis or a battery end cap, etc? Then all the Team Kit parts must be "carbon" because they all have fibers in them, and I've never seen the plastic parts before, and they exist only on RTR cars or the wall of a hobby shop?

In either case...

...it sounds to me like the carbon would be nice to have in a chassis itself to eliminate flex, but that I'd prefer the plastic arms because I run a long, fast, outdoor parking lot course that eats weaker, more rigid arms for breakfast, having them be a little more resiliant might actually serve me better (finishing a main is better than shaving a fractional ounce any day).
khyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 12:22 PM   #8565
Tech Adept

On my old MR4, parts with graphite in were slightly greyer. Helps to compare them in the light, but they are very similar
ralph_c is offline   Reply With Quote