R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-09-2006, 07:47 AM   #8476
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Newbie questions...I don't understand what the dude is trying to buy either...

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:23 AM   #8477
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I once stuck a lincoln log in my backside
RickBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:55 AM   #8478
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
Newbie questions...I don't understand what the dude is trying to buy either...
I love red heads!!
Lana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:12 AM   #8479
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquito
soo i dont need that suspension too get better on my cornering?
to clear confusion can you post a part# or link to the "adjustable suspension" you are interested in?

as said a few posts earlier the team kit/RTR/and Factory Team kits all come equipped with fully adjustable suspension...
Old 05-10-2006, 04:49 PM   #8480
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

whos' rockin' TC4 at the Reedy Race this year?
Old 05-12-2006, 11:45 PM   #8481
Tech Initiate

I'm expecting a TC4 (RTR) to arrive at my door in a few days and I'm wondering what I would need to upgrade in order for this car to handle something like Trinity's D6 9x2 motor (other than the ESC). This is excluding crashes; I'm concerned more about abnormal wear. Also, this car won't be for competitive racing or anything..
rz_xternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 06:32 AM   #8482
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to khyron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rz_xternal
I'm expecting a TC4 (RTR) to arrive at my door in a few days and I'm wondering what I would need to upgrade in order for this car to handle something like Trinity's D6 9x2 motor (other than the ESC). This is excluding crashes; I'm concerned more about abnormal wear. Also, this car won't be for competitive racing or anything..
If the RTR has plastic outdrives, you're going to want to rebuild the differentials with metal ones (either aluminum or lightened steel, one costs double the other and the weight difference might not matter much with a hot motor, I run steel myself). Pay attention to the AE web site where the metal outdrives are listed, you need new rings and a kit called the "t-nut" to rebuild the differentials with them because the plastic ones assemble differently. For a nice diagram, download the Factory Team TC3 manual PDF from AE and you can see just how the metal differentials go together (the spring moves to the other side).

Also, once you start running metal outdrives, you might want to change your dogbone pins to avoid excessive wear, the best thing for this is what people call "pin cushions" which are basically thinner pins with a plastic coating that goes around them to make them the same size as regular pins. Since the plastic is what rubs the outdrives, just the plastic wears out now and then and you replace it. Much better than replacing both pins and outdrives or even dogbones!

Other than that, I can't think of any "must" modifications to run hot motors in the RTR car, other than proper cooling for the electronics and a nice wide bumper...
khyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 06:32 AM   #8483
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to volracer

First I do not believe the speed control will handle a hot modified motor, so that will have to bee replaced. Second, if the diff outdrives are plastic, you will need to replace them with the metal ones.
volracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 06:41 AM   #8484
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Part number?

Quote:
Also, once you start running metal outdrives, you might want to change your dogbone pins to avoid excessive wear, the best thing for this is what people call "pin cushions" which are basically thinner pins with a plastic coating that goes around them to make them the same size as regular pins. Since the plastic is what rubs the outdrives, just the plastic wears out now and then and you replace it. Much better than replacing both pins and outdrives or even dogbones!
Khyron; do you have the part number for these replaceable pin cushions? Thanks; Ernie P.
Ernie P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 07:20 AM   #8485
Tech Initiate

I'm too expecting tc4 rtr - on the way.
I don't plan to race or use hot motors. Do I need to upgrade the outdrives too?
It's ginna be a drifter.
CaptEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 08:37 AM   #8486
Tech Rookie

Default that clears something up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM03GT
you are correct. the dogbone spacers are for use with the b3/t3 offroad vehicles to keep the dogbones from having the room to fall out. with svds these are unecessary and uncessary for the TC4.
glad to have found that out!
fzr phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 08:37 AM   #8487
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie P.
Khyron; do you have the part number for these replaceable pin cushions? Thanks; Ernie P.
Hey there Ernie! Fancy seeing you here...

There are two ways to buy the pin cushions, either standalone or already installed in dogbones. Having spent a lot of time and beating the crap out of my hands with a hammer not being able to get my stock pins out I would reccomend most people just get them pre-installed (which I might give up and do, we'll see).

Here is more information about them that I've found with Google:

http://www.teamirsrc.com/tc3.html (all IRS parts for TC3/TC4)
pin cushions are #IRS147
pin cushions pre-installed in 4 composite dogbones are #IRS149
pin cushions pre-installed in 2 "big dawg" dogbones are #IRS425
pin cushions pre-installed in 2 "litedrive" dogbones are #IRS2140*

*IRS site doesn't list these but Tower Hobbies does (?)

If you wanna ask IRS any detailed questions, their number is listed by Tower as being (609)476-2371. I was considering calling them up myself to get the 411 on all these.

I haven't gone and gotten anything else for myself yet because I think I'm going to get myself a nice bench vise and a punch because I need them anyway, and maybe then I can install these without hurting my hands or the nice aluminum bones that came with my TC4!

As for choosing between the above, I honestly don't know if TC3 and TC4 bones are totally identical (though I'm guessing they probably are) so I haven't ordered any yet just because I don't wanna get it wrong.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:41 AM   #8488
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptEvo
I'm too expecting tc4 rtr - on the way.
I don't plan to race or use hot motors. Do I need to upgrade the outdrives too?
It's ginna be a drifter.
It's a personal decision. You don't "need" to upgrade to metal (steel or aluminum, AE or aftermarket) outdrives to use your car, but no matter what kind of power you run folks just need to be aware that plastic outdrives are consumable parts. They WILL wear down, and it's a matter of time - just a function of how you drive and what you put in the car. So if you wanna race, or you wanna just bash and have fun, in the long run if you wanna just replace bone pins now and then instead of outdrives, it's a good idea.

It's just a personal decision about what you wanna be replacing, something in a drive train has to wear, and to me personally it just seems the nicest cheapest thing to wear out are little plastic pin covers and not differential halves.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:10 AM   #8489
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM03GT
to clear confusion can you post a part# or link to the "adjustable suspension" you are interested in?

as said a few posts earlier the team kit/RTR/and Factory Team kits all come equipped with fully adjustable suspension...
tc4 factory team

mine dosent come with that suspension...
aquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 12:40 PM   #8490
Tech Adept

So you mean you want to buy the blue aluminium threaded shock bodies? I'm not sure whether the blue body is interchangeable with the plastic RTR ones. For the entire set of 4 shocks the part number is 3962 and they have an RRP price of $60. Bear in mind that the aluminium shocks wont make you any quicker. The main benefit is just being able to adjust the cars ride height and 'tweek' more easily than with clips.

BTW, suspension refers to the whole system that allows the wheels to go up and are pushed back. Even the RTR car has 'adjustable suspension'.

Ralph
ralph_c is offline   Reply With Quote