Well i know the bands look a little cheezy but, my FT handled the best it ever has yesterday.
I felt 95% confident it would go where i put it. I hope it helps you guys as well.
I cut regular DPink-DPink/Or Jacos and a set of DPink-DPink/Or 2 Stage Jacos to the same size, made a few changes from last weeks setup and compared the difference in lap times with the tires and the same setup in the same day...
The regular Jacos gave more steering, and were alot more responsive... a few changes on the radio were all it took to make them FEEL like the 2 Stage tires, but the lap times didnt say the same thing. The 2 Stage tires were smoother, had less steering and were more consistent from lap to lap. Generally speaking they were good for 2 tenths per lap. I went from consistent 10.5's last Sunday to consistent 10.3's and a few 10.2's for a single qualifier. Fast lap of the day was a 9.9, but consistent was 10 flat to 10.1. After comparing notes with a few guys as the day went on, i could assume i was undergeared quite a bit... i was running a mid 23 rollout, and most others were in the 26's. I didnt want to run the risk of messing with my experiment so i left the gear alone, the car throttled out of the corner well, and seemed plenty fast on the straight compared to other cars, but it DID top out about halfway up the main straight. So maybe another tooth would give me a few more of those tenths per lap... we have a closing sweeper at the end of the straight that leads into a slow chicane to left hand switchback. There is alot of time to be found/lost there with power. The car turned well. I think it may have been sprung a bit too hard, maybe by 2-3lbs F/R. But again, i didnt want to mess with the car, i just wanted to swap tires and wheel it for comparison sakes. If i were to make any changes that i would assume would make it any better, one would be rollout, and then to swap out the front plastic diff for a steel lightweight diff, which would keep weight on the front tires for a longer period of time on the throttle through a corner... it would transfer weight slower to the rear of the car, more than likely netting more corner speed. The added weight in the driveline should smooth out the driveline "snap" a bit and aid consistency as well.
Oh, i also started using thinner washers under the camber link ballstuds, the .030 silver AE washers just seemed to make way to much of a change last week (for me). When i built the car this week i built it using Trinity thin motor washers, the copper colored ones that regularly come in their stock/19T motors for shims. Two of them combined are not a full .030, and three of them are a bit more than .030... closer to .040. Last Sunday making changes i found that adding another .030 to the rear inner camber link ballstud made the car WAY too loose (that being the only change), and removing it made the car too tight (that being the only change), so i opted for something inbetween, and it seemed to work out well.
There was an intervention held after the race yesterday... everyone present made it very clear if i show up to the track next week withOUT my T2, they were going to take my FT and torch it.
Not really, but you know how guys at the track can be! Ill be building the T2 this week, and focusing on it for a bit... i guess its time to see if it IS a better car!