R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-03-2006, 02:45 PM   #8056
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM
DaveW - Thanks for the pics, can't wait to try that out.

Im switching over to 64P gears and I want to know if Robinson Racing Spurs mount without any problems. I don't want to run Kimbrough Spurs, but I don't know what other manufacturers fit the TC4 without problems. Could you guys help me out? Thanks
Im not sure if they make them in the sizes you need but I love RW gears. You can get them through Schumacher if you like.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:49 PM   #8057
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A. Rhodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM
DaveW - Thanks for the pics, can't wait to try that out.

Im switching over to 64P gears and I want to know if Robinson Racing Spurs mount without any problems. I don't want to run Kimbrough Spurs, but I don't know what other manufacturers fit the TC4 without problems. Could you guys help me out? Thanks
PRS gears will work, and are some of the best on the market. Sizes 96 - 104 are your best choice. PRS also make pinions.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:59 PM   #8058
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The TC4 gear adapter is the same for the FT and the tub car, i dont remember if you said which one you have, but the adapter will allow a 2,3, or a 4 hole mount so you could mount virtually any spur from any company.

No worries on the pics... i try and help when and if i can.

DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 03:49 PM   #8059
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to mush104

i was wondering if anyone could give me some foam and rubber tire setups and some pics of there cars.
mush104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 04:18 PM   #8060
Tech Initiate

Kool... thanks guys, much appreciated.
RobertM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 10:44 AM   #8061
eg
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW
Ok as promised... sorry it took so long.

DaveW, I loved this idea so much that I started to implement it a soon as you sheared your pictures. Thanks for helping improve the Ftc4. After playing with this for a wile I found that I prefer using two different rubber bands on the steering rack. This helps to deliver even tension to both sides of the rack. I also used an additional band between the servo arm and the steering rack. My implementation of Dave's trick uses a total of five bands. I used black hair bands (pony tails) and cut them down to size. I have very little play in my the steering now. Thanks again DaveW
Attached Thumbnails
Team Associated TC4-ftc4steering.jpg  
eg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 06:09 AM   #8062
Tech Elite

Well i know the bands look a little cheezy but, my FT handled the best it ever has yesterday. I felt 95% confident it would go where i put it. I hope it helps you guys as well.

I cut regular DPink-DPink/Or Jacos and a set of DPink-DPink/Or 2 Stage Jacos to the same size, made a few changes from last weeks setup and compared the difference in lap times with the tires and the same setup in the same day...

The regular Jacos gave more steering, and were alot more responsive... a few changes on the radio were all it took to make them FEEL like the 2 Stage tires, but the lap times didnt say the same thing. The 2 Stage tires were smoother, had less steering and were more consistent from lap to lap. Generally speaking they were good for 2 tenths per lap. I went from consistent 10.5's last Sunday to consistent 10.3's and a few 10.2's for a single qualifier. Fast lap of the day was a 9.9, but consistent was 10 flat to 10.1. After comparing notes with a few guys as the day went on, i could assume i was undergeared quite a bit... i was running a mid 23 rollout, and most others were in the 26's. I didnt want to run the risk of messing with my experiment so i left the gear alone, the car throttled out of the corner well, and seemed plenty fast on the straight compared to other cars, but it DID top out about halfway up the main straight. So maybe another tooth would give me a few more of those tenths per lap... we have a closing sweeper at the end of the straight that leads into a slow chicane to left hand switchback. There is alot of time to be found/lost there with power. The car turned well. I think it may have been sprung a bit too hard, maybe by 2-3lbs F/R. But again, i didnt want to mess with the car, i just wanted to swap tires and wheel it for comparison sakes. If i were to make any changes that i would assume would make it any better, one would be rollout, and then to swap out the front plastic diff for a steel lightweight diff, which would keep weight on the front tires for a longer period of time on the throttle through a corner... it would transfer weight slower to the rear of the car, more than likely netting more corner speed. The added weight in the driveline should smooth out the driveline "snap" a bit and aid consistency as well.

Oh, i also started using thinner washers under the camber link ballstuds, the .030 silver AE washers just seemed to make way to much of a change last week (for me). When i built the car this week i built it using Trinity thin motor washers, the copper colored ones that regularly come in their stock/19T motors for shims. Two of them combined are not a full .030, and three of them are a bit more than .030... closer to .040. Last Sunday making changes i found that adding another .030 to the rear inner camber link ballstud made the car WAY too loose (that being the only change), and removing it made the car too tight (that being the only change), so i opted for something inbetween, and it seemed to work out well.

There was an intervention held after the race yesterday... everyone present made it very clear if i show up to the track next week withOUT my T2, they were going to take my FT and torch it. Not really, but you know how guys at the track can be! Ill be building the T2 this week, and focusing on it for a bit... i guess its time to see if it IS a better car!
Old 03-05-2006, 09:03 AM   #8063
Tech Apprentice

i've got hpi wheels and i cant lock them on my tc4 because there isnt enough room for the wrench. do you have any tips on that? also i have the wrench that was provided with the kit. what do you guys use to take on/off your wheels?
signal21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:54 AM   #8064
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to i_got_m8_4_$85

whats anti dive and anti squat??

also whats kickup is that the number on the rear arm mount??
thanks
i_got_m8_4_$85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:01 AM   #8065
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_got_m8_4_$85
whats anti dive and anti squat??

also whats kickup is that the number on the rear arm mount??
thanks
Anti Dive and Anti Squat does just what their name suggests.

The more Anti Dive, the less the nose of the car dives

The more Anti Squat, the less the rear of the car squat

They are both the same thing and make the suspension stiffer on that end!
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:08 AM   #8066
Tech Regular

thanks

than what is kickup??
Old 03-05-2006, 02:11 PM   #8067
Tech Adept

kickup=front wishbone mount at the front end of the car higher than the rear wishbone mount - the front wishbones lean back slightly. It will make the front of the car dip when decelerating because of the forward force being applied. In theory you should get more steering on entering the corner I think.
ralph_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 04:21 PM   #8068
Tech Regular

so its the opposite of anti sqat and dive??

ohhhhh im confused
Old 03-05-2006, 04:32 PM   #8069
Tech Elite

Front "kickup" and rear "pro dive" are the same, and serve the same purpose on either end of the car.
Front "anti dive" and rear "anti squat" are the same, and serve the same purpose on either end of the car.

Anti dive/squat resists weight transfer to that end of the car.

Kickup and pro dive allow for easier weight transfer to that end of the car.

Weight transfer is what makes a suspension work, distributing weight to each end, and either of the four corners, is what controls an amount of available traction created by friction between a tire and the racing surface.

This is a general description... there is alot more to be considered but it should help you understand each one better.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:36 PM   #8070
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to tc4kid191

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_got_m8_4_$85
so its the opposite of anti sqat and dive??

ohhhhh im confused
we all are
tc4kid191 is offline   Reply With Quote