R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-19-2006, 09:11 AM   #7981
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The general rule for gearing modified with 48 pitch gears on the TC4/3 is 10 teeth over the wind (rubber tires). If it is a 10 turn wind then add 10 and start with a 20 tooth 48 pitch pinion. I can say if it is a large open track you will probably run more than that, but it also depends on your motor timing. Since the V2 is like a higher wind than the label says due to its design, try adding a 22 tooth pinion and make sure you only run it for 5-6 minutes. Check the temperature of the motor after that time period, if you can hold your finger on it for longer than 5 seconds (again a general rule) and/or it doesnt seem fast enough, you can add another tooth. That should put you into the ballpark for sure. The V2 design is great for getting decent power for alot of runs w/o alot of motor maintenance... but it isnt bulletproof... you still have to be sure you dont overheat it.

- Dave
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 09:16 AM   #7982
Tech Regular

Thanks Dave. Ill split the difference and try a 21.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:34 PM   #7983
Tech Regular

One more thing Dave. I posted up awhile back while building the car and was concerned about the shimming and how I was worried about the gear train noise. I just got done putting in the electronics and fired the bad boy up and it sounds just fine.

Im still going to have to tear it back down to add a front spool and the rear steel outdrives and when I do, Ill do the White Lightning trick and flush out the bearings. From what Ive read here, the rear plastic outdrives wont handle a 10x2.

I still havent driven the car to a really busy work schedule but in 2 weeks we have a big charity race here and it looks like I wont get to run untill the friday practice session. That will interesting since I havent ran TC for about 5 years. LOL

Ill let yall know how it goes and Ill take some pics. Thanks for yall help.

Biff.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:21 AM   #7984
Tech Elite

You might wanna just try running a tight front diff instead of a spool. A tight front diff can give you alot of the same feel of a spool with a little give for the driveline. Diehards will say "spool, spool!", but if it is going to be your first time putting the car on the track you might wanna consider starting out with just the regular LW steel diffs in it F/R. Just a suggestion.

Im glad your driveline turned out nice and smooth. A little time on the bench goes a LONG way! I finally started using the "white" gears in my FTTC4, i think they are a little quieter than my original gears after break in. I am in the process of a rebuild myself and found that the tranny pinion gear is rubbing the inside of the rear tranny case... just barely. Ill run it again this weekend and see if it gets worse before i do any major adjustments. Let us know how the car does for your first time out with it!!

- DaveW
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 02:56 PM   #7985
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to XMSRacing Send a message via Yahoo to XMSRacing

FT TC4 for sale... see my Sig for details.

I'll be posting an add as soon as I get some pics together.
XMSRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:12 PM   #7986
Tech Regular

Got one for sale too. Only ran a VERY SHORT TIME. On carpet only, with extra chasse.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?p=2164583#post2164583
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:18 PM   #7987
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

mine is for sale also. it's sitting in the used for sale section of a local hobby shop near me. if it doesn't get sold there, i'll probably list it on the for sale thread here.
Derby Bros Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:25 PM   #7988
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

can we leave "for sale" posts to the for sale forum... this forum is more for tuning and help with the car...

in any case, anyone have success lately trying something new that they havent before? i'll share first...

in the last few weeks i've balanced my setup so that the front and rear suspension rates are closer to each other with the front being slightly stiffer than the rear. this has worked great for me and as of now i have a car that is easy to drive yet has a lot of steering when i need it. one of the days i tried using ball stud washers to make small roll center changes and found that i liked the car with a lower roll center in the front by just a little bit...

this is rubber tires on high grip asphalt...
Old 02-22-2006, 06:23 PM   #7989
Tech Adept

Can I lower the roll center to eliminate traction rolling? I do not want to decrease traction at all at the tires, but the car is rolling up in the corners. The rear roll center is as low as it will go. The front roll center is at Bakers Vegas setting. I am going to try the lowest roll centers possible to eliminate traction rolling. Any thoughts?
beerbarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:46 PM   #7990
Tech Rookie

If the roll center is currently above ground level than yes lowering the roll center will help prevent traction rolling.

The lateral forces being reacted by the suspension act through the roll center. Therefore If the roll center is above ground level there will be a jacking force that will raise the cars ride height and in turn further raising the roll center. which will cause more jacking force again further increasing the ride height until the car jacks up high enough to cause it to traction roll.
EH_TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:55 PM   #7991
Tech Adept

EH_TC3. Thanks for the reply. I Think I am on the verge of making this thing as fast as it will go (around a corner).
beerbarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:49 PM   #7992
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Unhappy Wide turn help

I can't seem to get rid of my wide turn in my FT TC4. Anyone know how to fix this? Here are my specs:

Radio: M8 w/ Spektrum Module and reciever - D/R set at 85%; 100% on left and right turning.
Servo: Airtronics 94758z

Setup:

Front
Caster= 0
Camber= -1
Droop= 5
Springs= AE silver
Shocks Oil= 50wt.
Outer hole of the A-arm
Outer hole of the shock tower
Inner hole of where the camber linkages go

Rear
Caster= -2.5
Camber= -1.5
Droop= 4
Springs= AE silver
Shocks Oil= 40wt.
Outer hole of the arm
Second to the outer hole of the shock tower
Inner hole where the camber linkages go

Thanks,
Mark
bukil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:20 PM   #7993
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Michael Barch

I had that problem before I sold it.

Try going stiffer springs in the front, and lighter in rear. It solved the problem a little bit for me.
Michael Barch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:52 PM   #7994

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Hi I am looking for a base setup for a tc4 for rubber on carpet for my SRD thanks.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:00 PM   #7995
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Sorry I meant to say: Refer to my previous post.

Front
Toe= 0
Caster=4

Rear
Toe= -2.5
Caster= 0
bukil is offline   Reply With Quote