R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-06-2006, 09:33 AM   #7906
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to XMSRacing Send a message via Yahoo to XMSRacing

I took that in to account and, my thought anyway, was that the variance in springs was going to be much less then the possible variance in the shocks when assembled. If the shocks lengths are all equal (mounting point to mounting point), making up any small difference in springs with a extra half turn or so on the collar, was acceptable to me.. and for some reason... made more sense in my head. Is it better? Who knows... lol
XMSRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:50 AM   #7907
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

well i guess all in all, your system sounds just fine. and it all comes downt o track performance, so if you put your car down and it turns left and right the same, and feels balanced, then its all good
Old 02-06-2006, 10:16 AM   #7908
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by corradopsi
is it the same as the NTC3 oneway?
NO - the NTC3 one-way itself, might be the same, but the outdrives are different - they're wider to compensate for the Nitro car's extra width. I have a NTC3 one-way and I tried it. I found a TC3 one-way at my LHS that was opened and missing the gear and screws - got it cheap. It work in my team car when I tried it - it should fit the FT kit too.
Corner Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:21 AM   #7909
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sadly the AE springs can vary in rate when rated at a certain LB. Here of late i have been running the Xray springs on my car... they feel very good and the LB tolerances are much closer. My FT tweaks dead center when the rideheight is set on equal sized tires (foams) with IB's. With the same equipment and AE springs the car was off (tweak) more than desired. With the collars of equal length and 5 mm rideheight i could run a yellow on one side of the front and a yellow on the other, swap the springs only, readjust, and the tweak would swap accordingly. I added one purple spring to compensate and the tweak went away. It was the same for all of my AE springs, but in varying amounts. So i was running a yellow on the right front a purple on the left front and two reds on the back and still having to turn each collar the appropriate direction at least 3/4 turn to balance. Now i run Xray white on the back and Blue on the front and the car is tweak free and dead center. Shock collars on the front are as identical as i can get them with a dial caliper, same for the rear. If i change the pinion and retrue (skim) the tires flat, i may adjust one shock collar a 1/4 turn to adjust for the weight shift of the motor, thats it. I have no additional weights added to my car.

- DaveW
Old 02-06-2006, 03:45 PM   #7910
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

does anybody know if AE springs will fit on Tamiya shocks?
Old 02-06-2006, 05:09 PM   #7911
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mark G

they prbly will, they just might be to short or long
Mark G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:29 AM   #7912
Tech Apprentice

Why do they call the TC4 the TouringCrap4 in the Manila forums? The place I run had some early adapters to the kit but after a while sold theirs and went with the usual yokomo's. A lot are struggling with their kits. I was thinking of buying the TC4 to try another shaft since I have a 415 as belt car. Is it really a TouringCrap4 as the best racers in Manila think it is and yokomo is the best?
KillWency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:13 AM   #7913
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillWency
Why do they call the TC4 the TouringCrap4 in the Manila forums? The place I run had some early adapters to the kit but after a while sold theirs and went with the usual yokomo's. A lot are struggling with their kits. I was thinking of buying the TC4 to try another shaft since I have a 415 as belt car. Is it really a TouringCrap4 as the best racers in Manila think it is and yokomo is the best?
You'll find that with every car....there are hardcore guys that try something new....and when they do, they expect it to work like their LAST car out of the box. Thing is, it's NOT their least car....it takes some massaging to make it work. Heck, I LOVE my FTTC4, but every time I'm at the track, I'm doing something a little different to make it work for the track layout, which is RARELY ever the same. So, yeah, it does take some work to get ANY car to perform it's best...my guess is those guys might not have given it it's fair shake. I run with Tossolini, Kinwald, Caster, Numan, etc, every race night. I do quite well, normally, so I know it's not ALL the car....

My 2c.
CompetitionX.com
R Sector / F1 Paint Labs
TPhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 10:47 AM   #7914
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnkitty2002
does anybody know if AE springs will fit on Tamiya shocks?
YES, I ran Associated shocks on my 415...perfect fit!
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:08 PM   #7915
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Michael Barch

Okay, I just about had it with my TC4. Last Friday it was sliding all over the place on the track, I tired tons of different foams, I tried the FT Chassis and the Team Chassis, no luck, I tried 3 setups from RC10.com (for the different chassis) and STILL was sliding all over, the ride height, droop, etc.. was all set correctly. The back end would just slide out, Im really sick of this thing right now.

Im giving it one more chance this weekend. While I was trying to race it I broke a steering rack, so I got to pick a few of those up this weekend. No big deal. Right now everything is on the Team Chassis, Im going to build the car back onto the FT Chassis and HOPEFULLY it will run good, how should I set this thing up so it don't slide? Why was it slding? Yes I used Traction Action, Half front inside, full rear.

Any ideas are appreciated!

Mike.
Michael Barch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:12 PM   #7916
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Barch
Okay, I just about had it with my TC4. Last Friday it was sliding all over the place on the track, I tired tons of different foams, I tried the FT Chassis and the Team Chassis, no luck, I tried 3 setups from RC10.com (for the different chassis) and STILL was sliding all over, the ride height, droop, etc.. was all set correctly. The back end would just slide out, Im really sick of this thing right now.

Im giving it one more chance this weekend. While I was trying to race it I broke a steering rack, so I got to pick a few of those up this weekend. No big deal. Right now everything is on the Team Chassis, Im going to build the car back onto the FT Chassis and HOPEFULLY it will run good, how should I set this thing up so it don't slide? Why was it slding? Yes I used Traction Action, Half front inside, full rear.

Mike.
Mike give me some info to work with....What surface were you running on? What class? What tires? What setups did you try?
Old 02-07-2006, 01:48 PM   #7917
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

Quote:

Mike.
If your from Sterling Heights, I assume you've been running at Larry's. Unless he put the new carpet down, you shouldn't be having any problems with the car. I recommend using Barry Bakers carpet setup as listed on the Assoicated website. I found this was an excellent starting place for the car at Larry's. If you use this setup exactly, you will have a really strong car at Larry's. Also use Jaco foams (I use purple/orage and purple). The FT chassis is the way to go!

Other than that, another factor could be you are not using the tire sauce correctly. Personally, I think the sauce they allow there is terrible and very difficult to use. Ask some of the fast people how they use it.
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:04 PM   #7918
Tech Regular

Auctually Im from Warren, but I just put Sterling Heights (Where I Drive, Race my Tc4).

Yes I was running at Larrys (Carpet). I used Jaco Foams, not sure on how much they were trued down, what everyone else was running really. I also used Prima foams, and some others I was not sure what kind.

I asked how I should apply the traction action, they said FULL rear, Half front. Which I did, still was no luck. The tires I were using were clean all around, and I let the tire traction sit for a good 10-15 minutes after applying (what I heard your supposed to do).

I was racing Stock Class, just got out of Rookie. I don't think that matters on how my car was running though.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:10 PM   #7919
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Auctually Im from Warren, but I just put Sterling Heights (Where I Drive, Race my Tc4).

Yes I was running at Larrys (Carpet). I used Jaco Foams, not sure on how much they were trued down, what everyone else was running really. I also used Prima foams, and some others I was not sure what kind.

I asked how I should apply the traction action, they said FULL rear, Half front. Which I did, still was no luck. The tires I were using were clean all around, and I let the tire traction sit for a good 10-15 minutes after applying (what I heard your supposed to do).

I was racing Stock Class, just got out of Rookie. I don't think that matters on how my car was running though.
obviously i know nothing about you except what you've posted... and you have just posted that you just got out of rookie class... if the rear is sliding a lot i'm going to take a risky assumption and say that you're probably letting off the throttle too much and/or too abruptly. The setups from the pro's are always very good or else they would not be posted,... however what the pro's use to make a car fast is not always easy for anybody to pick up and run with. pro drivers have very keen throttle and steering control which bring out the good characteritics of a setup... in the case of stock most good setups will require you to be very smooth steering while using only the top 10% of the throttle for most of the track, hardly ever lifting...

of course if i've made a wrong assumption then i apologize and i guess keep the information coming that will allow the knowledge in this forum to assist you.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:18 PM   #7920
Tech Regular

Do you think it may be that I was using Carbon Fiber shock towers on the Team Chassis? It seemed to pull out more on the Team chassis rather than on the FT.