R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-20-2006, 01:01 PM   #7726

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

traded off my ta05, 1mth of it and that was enuff. decent car but i dont have time to fiddle w/belts and worry bout breakin a part and no1 in country havin parts, so...

FTC4 on the way (along w/TC4 parts car). look 4ward to gettin into an AE kit, havent had 1 since the 'team car'.

-ult
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 01:21 PM   #7727
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw
Good afternoon guys,

I jsut got a new Factory Team TC4. I have it put together and now I want to know what are some good hop-ups for this beautiful car?

I am going to race stock for now with it on carpet. I run stadium trucks, but spend the entire day at the track, so I might as well get my moneys worth.

Thanks in advance,
scott
Let's see for stock carpet, the FT TC4 is pretty darn good right out of the box. There are some small improvements that can be made however, especially for stock racing:
-IRS Composite Dogbones
-IRS Aluminum layshafts
-Wipple Carbon Drive Shaft (I just received mine the other day and wow, this thing is incredible...you will not believe how stiff and how extremely light these are)

These mods really lighten up the drivetrain without reducing realibility. Plus the IRS dogbones have pin cushins that help greatly reduce wear to the outdrives!

Also, you will want to run the plastic outdrives in the rear or the car and either the plastic outdrives or the IRS aliminum outdrives in the front. You can run the stock Associated plastic outdrvies in the front. They wear really well and are more than strong enough to hold up to the abuse that stock racing dishes out. They do have a tendency of snapping on really hard front impacts however, so I recommned the IRS outdrives.

I also like Acer ceramic bearings, diff balls and thrust balls. These make a huge differe IMO.

I don't think this car needs as much rear toe in as others say but I'm that's more personal preference than anything else! I like the use a Circle block instead of the square block in the rear. This gives me -0.5 degrees or rear toe in.
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:10 PM   #7728
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by koabich
-Wipple Carbon Drive Shaft (I just received mine the other day and wow, this thing is incredible...you will not believe how stiff and how extremely light these are)

Do you have any pic of the drive shaft? Sound like something I would like to try out.

Thanks,
Old 01-20-2006, 02:16 PM   #7729
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhambrent
Do you have any pic of the drive shaft? Sound like something I would like to try out.

Thanks,
Yeah - where did you buy it? How much? - Thanks
Corner Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:46 PM   #7730
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW
Good luck at the track Matt, there are some nice tracks in PA. Plenty of competition there to hone your skills. Let us know how it goes!

- DaveW

davew,
hey i didnt get the tc4 yet..i was going to trade off my rdx for a tc4.im gonna get one more week out of my rdx before i do get rid of it...i have a buddy now thats pretty fast with a ft tc4.so set-up im not to worried about..one thing that i am is that the corally works better than any other car i have had before...but waiting for parts to get here is rediculous....thats why i was going to trade it off....i will let you know how it works though.i think that i am going to trade him...

thanks davew,

later,
matt
Old 01-20-2006, 02:50 PM   #7731
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Matt you will like the TC4. It was my choice until joining Schuie. Can't pass that up. Tomorrow will be the maiden flight for my EC. My setup was on here a few pages back but I ran the BMI chassis which makes the car hella aggressive and really turn in hard. The FTTC4 was muuuuuuuchh more nutreal. (sp?) Do you ever race with Brian Mills? He runs offroad at Bumps and Jumps alot.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:53 PM   #7732
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhambrent

Thanks,
Here is the link to the thred in this forum:

http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=66286

Check it out. He also has a website. Incredible stuff!!

It was like $32-$35.00 with shipping...very reasonable!
Old 01-20-2006, 07:11 PM   #7733
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Thanks man,
Old 01-20-2006, 07:59 PM   #7734
Tech Adept

Have any of you ever weighed your rotating mass? I have not but I was going to order some scales one day. I was just curios how much weight could be saved from FT box parts to upgraded parts. I remember learning that rotating mass was about equivalent to 6 times the non-rotating mass. At least as far as acceleration was concerned. I use the steel diffs and aluminum axles in the rear, with the plastic axles and steel diffs in the front. Oh yeah thats for stock racing. Its heavy but reliable and the diffs almost feel good. I am looking to make the car faster, and lighter parts in the drivetrain might have to be next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koabich
Let's see for stock carpet, the FT TC4 is pretty darn good right out of the box. There are some small improvements that can be made however, especially for stock racing:
-IRS Composite Dogbones
-IRS Aluminum layshafts

These mods really lighten up the drivetrain without reducing realibility. Plus the IRS dogbones have pin cushins that help greatly reduce wear to the outdrives!

Also, you will want to run the plastic outdrives in the rear or the car and either the plastic outdrives or the IRS aliminum outdrives in the front. You can run the stock Associated plastic outdrvies in the front. They wear really well and are more than strong enough to hold up to the abuse that stock racing dishes out. They do have a tendency of snapping on really hard front impacts however, so I recommned the IRS outdrives.

I also like Acer ceramic bearings, diff balls and thrust balls. These make a huge differe IMO.

I don't think this car needs as much rear toe in as others say but I'm that's more personal preference than anything else! I like the use a Circle block instead of the square block in the rear. This gives me -0.5 degrees or rear toe in.
beerbarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:54 PM   #7735
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbarron
Have any of you ever weighed your rotating mass? I have not but I was going to order some scales one day. I was just curios how much weight could be saved from FT box parts to upgraded parts. I remember learning that rotating mass was about equivalent to 6 times the non-rotating mass. At least as far as acceleration was concerned. I use the steel diffs and aluminum axles in the rear, with the plastic axles and steel diffs in the front. Oh yeah thats for stock racing. Its heavy but reliable and the diffs almost feel good. I am looking to make the car faster, and lighter parts in the drivetrain might have to be next.
Not too sure on the exact weight savings but it is great. You can really feel the difference in weight just by placing the individual parts in your hand. And on the track, the results are incredible...the car is much snappier (and that's wuth just the IRS layshafts and dogbones).

I would definatley get rid of of the steel outdrives. They weight too much! Using the plastic outdrives, your diffs, if built correctly, will be just as smooth and last just as long as the steel ones.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:41 PM   #7736
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Michael Barch

Hey guys how is it going tonight/this morning?

The Tc4 did well today at the races, took 3rd. Anyway a buddy of mine gave me some rubbers and I think I might try them out, I just setup my car according to this setup sheet:

http://rc10.com/racerhub/setup/racer...ekend_2005.pdf

I think I will hit the track tomorrow for a little testing out...

Last edited by Michael Barch; 01-21-2006 at 12:54 AM.
Michael Barch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 01:38 AM   #7737
imr
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Barch
I think I will hit the track tomorrow for a little testing out...
keep us informed how it went.
imr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 07:20 AM   #7738
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 238 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Barch
a buddy of mine gave me some rubbers and I think I might try them out
From a hygiene standpoint, I hope they're NIP (new in package). Even one "run" old is not good.

From a "setup" standpoint you'll need LOTS of camber...pointing up will work, pointing down not so well.

Testing IS the most fun, however. Better than RC.
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 07:30 AM   #7739
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik
From a hygiene standpoint, I hope they're NIP (new in package). Even one "run" old is not good.

From a "setup" standpoint you'll need LOTS of camber...pointing up will work, pointing down not so well.

Testing IS the most fun, however. Better than RC.
x2

Old 01-21-2006, 12:01 PM   #7740
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to E-BUSS
Default TC4 Team Setup Help

Hey Folks,

I just started racing touring and I'm looking for a good baseline setup for the TC4 Team Car (not FT). I found the Various Setup sheets from guys like Barry Baker and others on the Associated web site but am wondering how much these setups, all being setups for modified, will apply or need to be altered for Stock racing and how so.

The track I race at is indoors and I use foam tires on a 36'x70'(approx.) carpet track laid over a concrete floor with some minor imperfections in the concrete. I think the carpet is the same stuff used at big time races.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks Guys
E-BUSS is offline   Reply With Quote