R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-08-2006, 09:04 AM   #7591
Tech Adept

Mine built up ok and I haven't had a problem. I'd give them a top-up of oil then run them another couple of times and see if it is still happening. I've heard of shocks that will leak slightly the first time they are used, but not after running for a bit. It sounds like you built them fine. The only thing I did differently was to take the small center section out of the foam, but this shouldn't make a difference. Are you sure the weren't slightly oiley at the top from when you built them? Is it all 4 shocks?
ralph_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:02 PM   #7592
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Barch
The battery connector? I guess, I just started into racing so I don't know much, I just bought the RTR TC4, bought the FT Conversion kit, and Monster Pro motor.

I still use the cheap battery packs, Im looking to start building packs soon though, and getting a new servo.
Eventually you will melt those connectors together. Then you'll realize why no one uses them that has been doing this for a while. Think about using Deans or Sermos/lightspeed connectors. Or you could just solder the battery wires. But since your just starting connectors are fine. Also, consider a good digital steering servo. You will never regret a good steering servo.
beerbarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:09 PM   #7593
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Michael Barch

Yeah, Im deff looking into a new servo.

Thanks for the tips
Michael Barch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:25 PM   #7594
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA_Racer
Has anyone here had problems with the VCS2 upgrade on their shocks? I did mine this week and it built like a dream. everything went together just like the instructions,

I did the oil, blader, big foam, small foam and then the top. Also put the stopper on the shaft between the balcup and the shock and all seemed to look good. tested dampening and everything was spot on, but then after my first run I noticed all the shocks were sticky at the top where the top screws on. so where did I go wrong. insturctions said I should remove the old rubber seal which I did and I cant see why they would leak, as the bladder is pushing right against the aloy body and that alone should cause a good seal.

thanks
any one hve the instruction i missed place mines to do the shocks
Old 01-08-2006, 11:41 PM   #7595
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph_c
Mine built up ok and I haven't had a problem. I'd give them a top-up of oil then run them another couple of times and see if it is still happening. I've heard of shocks that will leak slightly the first time they are used, but not after running for a bit. It sounds like you built them fine. The only thing I did differently was to take the small center section out of the foam, but this shouldn't make a difference. Are you sure the weren't slightly oiley at the top from when you built them? Is it all 4 shocks?
I rebuilt them again last night, removed the litle bit in the centre and put them together, washed them with water and soap when I was done to be sure there was no oil. I then just left them lying on my bench for a while.

After about an hour I check them and it looked like there was a bit of oil coming out the shocks.

Im now realy stumped. I even made sure when building them that the blader went in without an air buble inder the blader and all excess oi; was let out.

I also verified that the shaft wouldnt touch the bladder when fully inserted. If it was only one shock, id be looking for something that was damaged, but in this case its all the shocks, so I can only guess that there is something wrong with the bladers or im doing something wrong. the question is which is it.

Ive built many shocks before and have never had this happen to me
SA_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 06:26 AM   #7596
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to frog racing

SA_Racer,

I could only assume that what you are seeing is a little bit of oil that was in the threads of the cap and it was seeping out.

Run your car a few time and then see what happens. Afterwards opena shock and see if you are really missing any oil.

When you use the bladder caps as you close the cap down oil will seep out. Washing the surface with soap and water will get the oil off the surface but not from the threads.

On another note I wold like to see AE go to X-seals and not the red rubber orings at the base of the shocks. The x-rings seem to hold back the oil better than the red-rubber.

K
Hitec HSB-9370T
www.whf-texas.org
frog racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 06:32 AM   #7597
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to XMSRacing Send a message via Yahoo to XMSRacing

First thing I did before building the shocks was head to the LHS for some MIP seals. Put them together.. they work flawlessly... no leaks.
XMSRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:55 AM   #7598
imr
Tech Adept

I keep having problems running a one-way on my fttc4.

rubber tires on carpet.
I tried different setups but none works so far.
The main problem is when I accelerate out of the turn, the car keeps turning uncontrollable and on the straight the car does whatever it wants, but doesn't go straight.
When I drive 4x4 the car is great, so the drivetrain or whatever is ok.
The one-way has been cleaned and lubed with thin oil (sewing machine oil)
Any suggestions?
imr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 09:12 AM   #7599
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Sounds like the one way could be bad and with the one way you would have more steering coming out of the turns on power so you might oversteer some coming onto the straights and that might you keep correcting down the straight to get the car back in shape. In the staights the car shoulnd't be any harder to drive than with a diff, spool or one way in other that with the spool and one way you will have more high speed steering.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around). Too many titles to list
Shout out to: Sticky Kicks, CR Graphics and Race Ready Products
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 09:20 AM   #7600
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

imr: dunno what sewing machine oil is... but have you cleaned the one-way and tried the silicon grease that comes with the oneway? that is all i use on mine and i've never had a problem... if your thin lube is too slick you maybe slipping your oneway causing unpredictable results... just a thought.

SA_Racer: as someone has suggested already. don't judge the shocks by a visual... judge the shock by its feel on and off the track. i've built 4-5 sets of VCS2 shocks already and ALL of them seem to leak after the first few runs. This is just inherent of the oil that spills over when you put the bladder on. no matter how much you wipe or clean there is going to be oil in the threads of the cap and excess. the first few runs usually make the shock look like its leaking. i deal with it by cleaning them off everytime it looks like it leaked. then i feel them and listen to them. if they are still smooth and consistent, and i can't hear any air, guess what? they are still perfect. since the release of this shock upgrade, i've only had to rebuild one shock which was a no-brainer since i nailed a wall with it basically, and one set because i was trying weird o-rings that didn't seal as well as the stock ones. thats it. i run on avergae 15 packs a week so it's not like these shocks are on a shelf queen.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:21 AM   #7601
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to NetDevil

What color springs do you guys run? front and back.
NetDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 09:28 AM   #7602
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetDevil
What color springs do you guys run? front and back.
this is a very general question. please at the very least post what surface you are racing on and a relative gauge of how much traction the surface has so someone can set you up in the ballpark.

i run on high bite indoor asphalt. i've been using gold fronts, blue rears, with a .055 black roll-bar in front.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:30 AM   #7603
Tech Adept

we run on "middle-high" bite ozite carpet.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:07 PM   #7604
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to nmt6789

Does anyone in the U.S carry the 3racing steering rack?
nmt6789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:10 PM   #7605
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM03GT
this is a very general question. please at the very least post what surface you are racing on and a relative gauge of how much traction the surface has so someone can set you up in the ballpark.

i run on high bite indoor asphalt. i've been using gold fronts, blue rears, with a .055 black roll-bar in front.
My dad put the silver roll bar in the front, I'm not sure what stiffness it is. But it made his car handle like crap. The back-end was fishtailing.