R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-01-2005, 11:55 PM   #7006
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatJam1
running 4 to 6 degrees of caster will make the car dart into the corner hard but reduces steering coming out and my car was pushing coming out and going to 2 dagrees helped me gain more steering coming out of the turn ," No push". Doing 0-2 degrees of front caster decreases steering going into a turn but gives you more exiting steering !Doing 4 to 6 degrees of caster gives you more steering going into a turn but less steering coming out , now if you have very high carpet traction doing 4 to 6 will make the car push coming out of the turn!Its ok if the track has large sweeping turns like asphalt racing but on indoor technicl tracks with high traction i like to get out of the turn as soon as i can !
Funny that you say this I decided to change my caster from 4 to 2 and found my car darting into corners. It was a weird weekend I finally got the car working better once I went back to my old body. Tried the Stratus 3.0 carpet and could not get it to work for me. Unfortunately it was a big race so there wasn't anytime to work on setups.
Number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 01:14 AM   #7007
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone_wheelin
I have been strugling with slop in the steering rack on the Team kit. I managed to take up most if not all with some shims but now the steering movement from side to side feels a little stiff, even after cleaning and re-lubing the bearings.

I have seen a few others post that they are using the Losi XXX-S dual bell crack instead of the Associated rack. I was wondering if anyone has tried the alloy steering rack from 3Racing in place of the composite stock (associated) piece? Also, the dual bell crack from Losi, is it a direct bolt-on? I also found that there is an alloy upgrade available for this as well. Has anyone used the alloy and, if so, how does it compare to the stock piece?

Thanks in advance.
I use the 3 racing steering rack took it out of the team kit it now resides in the factory team kit I find it very good virtually slop free a well worth addition as the car is under weight so you may as well build some stronger components into it.

The rear uprights from 3 racing are also great lots of fine tuning as for front steering knuckles the square racing ones are the go, the knuckles offer the same mounting holes as the standard AE parts.

Some of the slop in the AE rack can be in the top bushings of the rack so shimming the bearing shaft will only take out some of the slop.
bjspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 05:25 AM   #7008
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=dodgeguy]The car will feel like it has steering with 6 degree! I have been trying to get this car to pick up its corner speed. It just seems to want to scrub speed for me. It is a nice car but the corner speed [/QUO

At the back of the TC4 instruction booklet there is a section on how Caster works on Page 18 on the bottom!and i'll quote it here "typically for most racing surfaces,4 degrees caster is normal starting point for the team.from there,increase caster(4 to 6) to reduce mid to exit steering and make front end less responsive.conversly,decrease caster ( 4 to 2 to 0 ) gives a more responsive feeling and more exit steering" end quote.Triple x main (XXX Main) puts outa good book written in an easy to understand refrence i highly recomend it! Its great when you could quickly dial your car in to different tracks .
BatJam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 05:31 AM   #7009
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 193 (99%+)

The car will feel like it has steering with 6 degree! I have been trying to get this car to pick up its corner speed. It just seems to want to scrub speed for me. It is a nice car but the corner speed
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 05:35 AM   #7010
Tech Champion

BatJam I do not want to turn this into a grudge match. But when the car can turn in quicker it will FEEL like it has more steering on tight tracks. Yes I know what the back of the manual has in it. And I think it is one of the worst ones I have ever used. But with 2 degree casters my car pushed coming out of a turn more than with 6 degree. On tracks with more sweeping turns 6 degree would not be best.

It seems with the front end of this car something is just not right. Until someone finds out a good carpet setup. I think this car may turn out to be not much better than the tub TC4.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:48 AM   #7011
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So no one can get the graphite battery strap for the FT car yet? Tape is pointless and dumb and annoying
runnin rc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 06:37 AM   #7012
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I'm curious, can you guys who are having this castor debate put your setup on here. Saying you run 2 4 or 6 is meaningless if you don't know the entire setup.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:46 AM   #7013
Tech Champion

I will post mine later today. I do not have the car in front of me.

We did have a layout change at my local track. It is more flowing. Not as tight. I ran the car on it once with my setup now. The car felt much better than on the tight track. I ran the same setup on both layouts. This car IMO is a better large track car with not so many tight turns. Also I only run foams.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:07 AM   #7014
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin rc10
So no one can get the graphite battery strap for the FT car yet? Tape is pointless and dumb and annoying
You can order it directly through Associated. And there is nothing wrong with tape. I hated it at first but once I got used to it it's just as easy as using a strap. The problem is that most people don't take the time to do it correctly!
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 07:11 AM   #7015
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 11
I am using the FT TC4 steering block and my link is closer to the chassis. By the way ordered and received a set of bearings for my car last week man they are smooth.

Its going to be hard for this to be relevant, but my steering link from ballstud center to ballstud center is 1.68". It gives me 1 degree of total toe out. Im glad you got the ceramics, and liked them... good stuff! If you REALLY want them smooth, after break-in (about 10 packs), flush them and polish them up with some Mothers metal polish (auto) and relube with synthetic. It requires the removal of one side of each bearings seals... but the result is amazing.

As far as bodies go... i am partial to the Mazda6... but of late i have been running the Stratus 3 carpet spec. The only reason i swapped was the rear fender/bumper area isnt prone to being tucked in and rubbing/stopping the tire if you get hacked on the start going into turn 1, and subsequently ending up dead last as a marshal fumbles with your car and you count off.. "1 motherfu!%er, 2 motherfu*#er, 3 motherfu&@er..." and so on. If it wasnt for that one gripe i would still be running the Mazda6. With the Stratus, if i get bumped i can usually wheel out of it and maintain position. The Parma body is just flat out ugly to me (IMO). Alfas are ugly period. As far as that goes, im not even partial to the looks of the Stratus OR the Mazda... if i had my choice id be running a Skyline R34... or a Supra, JGTC spec. (certainly not race spec though) Noone makes those bodies in that amount of detail... Yokomo is the closest i have seen with the drift series. They even have light kits for them. Good stuff. But if i set my car down on the track with working headlights and tailights... i would never hear the end of it!!

Some of you guys are quick to compare the TC4 team kit to the FTC4 in its handling abilities. Just as the TC3 and the TC4 team kit shared little in this area... the TC4 team kit and FTC4 will be just as different. Dont be afraid to think outside the box. Try some of your older TC3 setups for medium to high bite surfaces (if you still have setup sheets from that far back as i do) i think youll be pleasantly surprised. As far as the caster discussion... "caster is faster". The AE manual gives a general description, and as mentioned should be a bit better. But if it was, then we wouldnt be here hanging out all the time! LOL I will say this, you HAVE to make sure your camber, toe, bumpsteer, AND ackerman settings are kept in check when you swap caster blocks... if you dont keep the settings the same... then you cant expect accurate results, when trying to compare a "caster only" change. The guys joke me a bit at the track. "Hey, you gonna run a pack or what?" "No, im giving you time for practice..." All in a little fun, but its true... slow on the bench, IS fast on the track. I feel this is one reason the Xray is so widely popular... it is often referred to as the "most adjustable luxury TC on the market". When honestly, its adjustments cannot be as refined as the FTC4's. This can be looked at two different ways... 1) Alot of the work IS done for you in the FK05... if the adjustment isnt there... then you have to settle for whats given to you. 2) The FTC4 is one of the most minutely adjustable TC's on the market, and as it does have its shortcomings... it isnt the cars fault if you dial yourself out. The rest is just avoiding barriers and cars...

- DaveW

DISCLAIMER: This is clearly my opinion. So feel free to tell me to STFU.

Old 11-02-2005, 07:17 AM   #7016
Super Moderator

STFU Dave

Hows life? I'm going to a race on Sunday that might as well be a National. Major heads will be there. I also heard Dunnigan, Spense and the X man will be coming up so they will probably bring a few more factory heads. AND THIS IS A CLUB RACE
Old 11-02-2005, 07:27 AM   #7017
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Dave I totally agree with you on a few things. 1st the Parma body is ugly but beyond that it is just not made as well as the Protoforms. I have 3 Parma bodies that my painter is going to paint for a friend of mine. The quailty of the bodies are terrible. The body is thin in spots and has lots of tiny air bubbles and inperfections. I will stick with Protoform!!!!!!!!!!!

I also thought my TC4 had a nice amount of things to adjust and especially at the last minute. Very easy to work on. I also agree with don't blame the car for dialing yourself out of a setup.

I think the funny thing is alot of guys run the car for a week or two and if it isn't completely dialed they sell them. You cannot possibly try everything a car has to offer in two weeks or even a month for that matter. Touring cars today have so many things to adjust and 1mm or 2mm either way can mean a great car or a bag of crap car.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around). Too many titles to list
Shout out to: Sticky Kicks, CR Graphics and Race Ready Products
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 07:28 AM   #7018
Tech Elite

I think the rest of tha Mimis clan is coming our way Saturday... Dunnigan and Spence never said they were coming, but i think Mark Unrath and a few others are. Its nice having this kind of talent around. It keeps ya busy and never gets dull.

Ya lookin forward to some track time? I believe the class for us this weekend is 19t. At least it seems to be tha discussed majority. Whatcha gonna run this weekend?

- Dave
Old 11-02-2005, 07:34 AM   #7019
Super Moderator

Im going to run stock and possibly 19 if I have enough time to scramble I was told Dunnigan and Spense were coming but hey you know how that is. Oh and Dave, WYD (Brian) can wheel a car like its no one's buisness! He was smokin at the race in Frederick. Brian why did you get rid of that Corrally?
Old 11-02-2005, 07:41 AM   #7020
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Thanks Bob sometimes I can wheel a ride and you know sometimes you have bad days. Frederick was a great day. I only sold the Corally because I was going to quit racing touring and go back to grass roots oval racing. I held off for about 3 months but I couldn't take it anymore and bought another touring car. I bought the Losi used because of all the used stuff on R/C Tech at the time it gave me the most bang for the buck with all the stuff that came with this guys car. Lots of parts and was already pretty much set for asphalt with the Josh Numan setup. I made a few tweaks and the car is dialed for me.

Hope to hook up with you, Fred and the other Express guys soon.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around). Too many titles to list
Shout out to: Sticky Kicks, CR Graphics and Race Ready Products
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote