R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-01-2005, 03:32 PM   #6991
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW
NUMBER11: SO stands for Setup Option... are you running the stock TC4 steering block, and if so, what hole is your link in? Closer to the tire... or closer to the chassis? The general length will vary... depending on this, and the amount of toe you want (other things too).

- DaveW
I am using the FT TC4 steering block and my link is closer to the chassis. By the way ordered and received a set of bearings for my car last week man they are smooth.

Last edited by Number 11; 11-01-2005 at 04:50 PM.
Number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 03:34 PM   #6992
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet
It's one of the top designs out. Arguing which car is "better" would be like comparing Williams, Honda BAR and Ferrari in F1. They are all in the top bracket and all are capable of winning.

As far as kit quality, it's 100% a-ok. The complaining is coming from the XRay crowd that expects each and every part to fit perfect 100% of the time. The filing and hand-fitting of the front steering knuckles takes about 5 min out of your life. NOT a big deal.

Lastly, the car has zero problems with corner speed. It's the people who don't know how to setup a TC, take it to the track with the kit-default setup and expect to win.

All I can say is that out of the top "luxury" TCs, he TC4 Factory Team is the best deal as you get more for less.
Thanks Soviet. I had suspected this was the case, but its hard to tell with so many contrasting opinions, especially when they're not people you can talk to in real (not on a forum). Will be ordering my FT next week hopefully.
ralph_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 03:35 PM   #6993
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

take your time and shim the car. I have zero slop in my stock steering assembly. I am not a magician or get special parts. You guys need to start spending the 3 dollars for assorted shims instead of the 30 dollars for an aluminum steering rack.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:41 PM   #6994
Tech Adept

Just thought of another question. There was someone mentioning a VCS2 shock diaphragm/bladder kit earlier. Does anyone know the actual details, part number etc. I can't find anything like this anywhere online at the moment with the part number he put in his post (31123).

Bob, what size shims are needed? I may as well get some at the same time as buying the car.
ralph_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 03:47 PM   #6995
Super Moderator

Ralph what I did was go into my local hobby shop and just grab 1 pack of losi, 1 pack assoc, 1 pack of insert brand here . and stocked up. You can then mix and match to get the desired thickness. I honestly believe that I spent less than 10 bucks and I have a boat load of shims. I can do all my cars and probably won't need to buy shims again for a lonnnnng time. It just bothers me that people would rather spend all that money for an aluminum steering rack when all that its going to do is add weight. If your reasoning is because it's blue, at least then I could accept it. because it has less slop????? come on man. Havent you ever shimmed your kit up after 3 or 4 weeks of racing? I know guys who do it after every run!!!!!

rant over
Old 11-01-2005, 03:49 PM   #6996
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i got my VCS2 shock upgrade kit from Associated by walk-in order

i asked while i was there and was told that the 31123 and 31126 should both be in stores as i was standing there so i dunno what to say ... check LHS and ask about them.

as for steering rack shims...

you want 7368-001 3/16th axle shims for the hex bushing, and 7337-001 to space the tophat bushing... i've found that sometimes if your having trouble keeping the rack from rocking just that little bit, that it helps to sand it down just a hair so you dictate rack tension with the screw...

btw... i just checked the AE website... they do have online ordering...
Old 11-01-2005, 05:31 PM   #6997
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)
Default COOL THANKS

Cool thanks for coming through for all of use..........

Later,
E

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM03GT

i asked while i was there and was told that the 31123 and 31126 should both be in stores as i was standing there so i dunno what to say ... check LHS and ask about them.

you want 7368-001 3/16th axle shims for the hex bushing, and 7337-001 to space the tophat bushing... i've found that sometimes if your having trouble keeping the rack from rocking just that little bit, that it helps to sand it down just a hair so you dictate rack tension with the screw...

RED-LINE M03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 06:24 PM   #6998
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

link to info for VCS2 shocks on AE website
Old 11-01-2005, 06:29 PM   #6999
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone_wheelin
I have been strugling with slop in the steering rack on the Team kit. I managed to take up most if not all with some shims but now the steering movement from side to side feels a little stiff, even after cleaning and re-lubing the bearings.

I have seen a few others post that they are using the Losi XXX-S dual bell crack instead of the Associated rack. I was wondering if anyone has tried the alloy steering rack from 3Racing in place of the composite stock (associated) piece? Also, the dual bell crack from Losi, is it a direct bolt-on? I also found that there is an alloy upgrade available for this as well. Has anyone used the alloy and, if so, how does it compare to the stock piece?

Thanks in advance.
I've never heard of XXX-S bellcranks in a TC4. I'd be interested in hearing about how it works and seeing a few pics though.

I use the 3Racing rack and you just have to retighten the ball studs after each raceday, even that could probably be solved by using a bit of thread-lock. As long you keep the ball studs tight there is little/no slop (coupled with the RPM ballcups)
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 06:32 PM   #7000
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Bodies?

What Bodies are you guys running with the set-ups coming out now on the FT TC4?
Beerbaron
Dave W.
Bob Barry
Walter H.

I am learning that bodies are getting to be a pretty big part of a set up.
Thanks and God Bless
Bryan
CRC WTF-1
Jsaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 06:35 PM   #7001
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barry
Ralph what I did was go into my local hobby shop and just grab 1 pack of losi, 1 pack assoc, 1 pack of insert brand here . and stocked up. You can then mix and match to get the desired thickness. I honestly believe that I spent less than 10 bucks and I have a boat load of shims. I can do all my cars and probably won't need to buy shims again for a lonnnnng time. It just bothers me that people would rather spend all that money for an aluminum steering rack when all that its going to do is add weight. If your reasoning is because it's blue, at least then I could accept it. because it has less slop????? come on man. Havent you ever shimmed your kit up after 3 or 4 weeks of racing? I know guys who do it after every run!!!!!
The guy who had the car before me was the one who bought the 3Racing assembly or else I'd never have thought about buying it My dad did get one for his car not only to eliminate slop but he still breaks parts a bit too much and we've both seen people snap a couple of the plastic racks in a bad wreck.

The bodies most people I see running on foams are the Parma Alfa, Pontiac G6, Stratus 3.0 C-type and the CTS-V
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 06:48 PM   #7002
Super Moderator

If you are doing it for strength thats one thing, it just annoys me that people spend all this time worrying about a thousandth of a volt and what car to run and how much this weighs but they are too lazy to shim a car correctly.

As far as bodies: So far I have run mostly on asphalt, in which case you have to have the Mazda 6 or you get left behind. I ran the Mazda inside once on a tiny track and it was ok...nothing special. This weekend I will be running on a nice size track against some heavy hitters (which means I will probably be battling it out somewhere in the d main ) and I plan on running the Stratus 3.0 carpet body. As soon as possible I will be grabbing a Parma Alfa to try as everyone tells me this is the body to have. I might grab a G6 as well. One more thing to remember guys...I am running a BMI kit not a FT kit. They are different, mostly in the placement of the Batteries and electronics. Dave is probably the one on here to ask as of late. I guess Tony Phalen and the other guys are gearing up for their busy winter season.

I will let you guys know how the setup is on Monday or Tuesday. If I finish in the C main I will be happy. Our local track is the home track for Jeff Cuffs, Jason Shreffler, Jon Williams, Larry Fairtrace, Latif Michail, Chad Phillips, and about 10 other guys who have either won a national event or made the A at one. To top it off, this weekend is an ORL race (travelling points series) so that means all the MD boys will probably be up.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:48 PM   #7003
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM03GT

Hey, GT...part # 31123 is the VCS2 kit...what is 31126?
DOTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 09:54 PM   #7004
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterhenderson
On carpet we are running at least 4* castor blocks if not 6* castor blocks.

Walter
running 4 to 6 degrees of caster will make the car dart into the corner hard but reduces steering coming out and my car was pushing coming out and going to 2 dagrees helped me gain more steering coming out of the turn ," No push". Doing 0-2 degrees of front caster decreases steering going into a turn but gives you more exiting steering !Doing 4 to 6 degrees of caster gives you more steering going into a turn but less steering coming out , now if you have very high carpet traction doing 4 to 6 will make the car push coming out of the turn!Its ok if the track has large sweeping turns like asphalt racing but on indoor technicl tracks with high traction i like to get out of the turn as soon as i can !

Last edited by BatJam1; 11-01-2005 at 10:08 PM.
BatJam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 10:46 PM   #7005
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOTMAN
Hey, GT...part # 31123 is the VCS2 kit...what is 31126?
It's a battery strap kit for the FT TC4 so you don't have to use tape.

I just called Associated and ordered it directly from them since none of the distributes have any record of the parts...this means your LHS cannot order it.

Last edited by koabich; 11-02-2005 at 07:05 AM.
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote