R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-27-2005, 10:01 PM   #6931
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Alright guys, couple questions from a previous TC4 (team kit) owner to all those who stuck with it. Its that time of year again, and im looking for a TC to run this winter. I dont want to lose, (who does) but Im not lookin to spend an arm and a leg, I am only 17. So I was looking into yet another TC4. I had one when it first came out and never really got it to where I thought it should be. It never was really faster than my previous TC3, and me and my buddy never could really figure it out. Now, my question is, should I go ahead and save the extra money for the FT TC4, or buy a used BMI TC3? I only have one problem with the TC4's now adays. Ive been reading a lot again latley and noticed how soft the setups are in comparison to the TC3 and some of the other cars on the market. With that in mind I remember our cars scrubbing speed in the corners as our setups were getting softer to try to find a setup. I understand that this thread is mostly biased, but Im looking for a opinion and a genearl assumption to get me headed in the right direction. Thanks for reading my ramblings and thanks for any potential help/insight.
runnin rc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 10:19 PM   #6932
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 193 (99%+)

Well for me the FT TC4 does scrub speed in the corners. It is a nice car. But I am still tring to find a set up.
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 01:38 AM   #6933
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgmeat
Part #: TC4-028
Thanks man,
Old 10-28-2005, 02:43 AM   #6934
Tech Adept

Hello runnin rc10,

"Now, my question is, should I go ahead and save the extra money for the FT TC4, or buy a used BMI TC3?"
Why not trying the Team to FT conversion kit from associated, the FT is really better than the team (More reactive and repetitive than the team)

"been reading a lot again latley and noticed how soft the setups are in comparison to the TC3 and some of the other cars on the market. With that in mind I remember our cars scrubbing speed in the corners as our setups were getting softer to try to find a setup. I understand that this thread is mostly biased, but Im looking for a opinion and a genearl assumption to get me headed in the right direction."

I totally agree with the softer setup with the tc4 team AND tc4 FT. With my old tc3 the softest i run was 30-30WT with #2 pistons (With rubber tyres on asphalt).
With the tc4, on my tracks i test 25WT and 20WT with #1 pistons (Larger) which was best but not really smooth to drive.
Last i've drilled my piston for having two 2mm holes and 60WT on front and 40 on rear. The static feeling is really different from 25-25 #1 but what a difference on the track ! More grip, better handling.
Try other oil this week on carpet with rubber.
S_fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 03:41 AM   #6935
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)
Default keep us posted

Cool keep us posted ( S_FENDER)

Thanks for the pics on the shocks ( AMO3GT )

Later,
E

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_fender
Hello runnin rc10,

"Now, my question is, should I go ahead and save the extra money for the FT TC4, or buy a used BMI TC3?"
Why not trying the Team to FT conversion kit from associated, the FT is really better than the team (More reactive and repetitive than the team)

"been reading a lot again latley and noticed how soft the setups are in comparison to the TC3 and some of the other cars on the market. With that in mind I remember our cars scrubbing speed in the corners as our setups were getting softer to try to find a setup. I understand that this thread is mostly biased, but Im looking for a opinion and a genearl assumption to get me headed in the right direction."

I totally agree with the softer setup with the tc4 team AND tc4 FT. With my old tc3 the softest i run was 30-30WT with #2 pistons (With rubber tyres on asphalt).
With the tc4, on my tracks i test 25WT and 20WT with #1 pistons (Larger) which was best but not really smooth to drive.
Last i've drilled my piston for having two 2mm holes and 60WT on front and 40 on rear. The static feeling is really different from 25-25 #1 but what a difference on the track ! More grip, better handling.
Try other oil this week on carpet with rubber.

Last edited by RED-LINE M03; 10-28-2005 at 03:43 AM. Reason: %^^
RED-LINE M03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 05:33 AM   #6936
Tech Regular

On the TC4FT thread that soviet started, he made a point of saying that torque steer can be countered by a droop adjustment. Sorry for the dumbass approach here, but what is the simple adjustment (my guess is to increase the droop, but hey, thats me).
Also, I'm about to go over to running the yok shock caps on the AE shock. Do i need to take the foam donut out of the shock for this, or can they stay in?

Cheers
Crashmaster
Crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 11:06 AM   #6937
Tech Adept

Is torque steer still a problem with shaft cars unless you're running a 7x1 motor or something. Running stock or 19t, surely there is no noticeable problem.
ralph_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 11:11 AM   #6938
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph_c
Is torque steer still a problem with shaft cars unless you're running a 7x1 motor or something. Running stock or 19t, surely there is no noticeable problem.
If the car is set-up properly and not tweaked, you should not notice the torque steer with Stock, 19t or with some of the more mild modifieds out there.
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 11:39 AM   #6939
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Need a new home

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...62#post1901262
dawgmeat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 06:50 PM   #6940
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashmaster
On the TC4FT thread that soviet started, he made a point of saying that torque steer can be countered by a droop adjustment. Sorry for the dumbass approach here, but what is the simple adjustment (my guess is to increase the droop, but hey, thats me).
Also, I'm about to go over to running the yok shock caps on the AE shock. Do i need to take the foam donut out of the shock for this, or can they stay in?

Cheers
Crashmaster
Foam donut comes out of the shock with the Yok caps.
SMcpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 08:38 AM   #6941
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Bandit72577 Send a message via Yahoo to Bandit72577

Hello All fellow TC4 owners. I am a very proud owner of a Team TC4 (should of waited a few months for the Factory Team I guess). I have a touring car before if you consider a Traxxas 4-Tec a touring car ( It was fun to drive and handled pretty well). But I am in the process of setting my car up for stock carpet racing. And I was wondering if I could a few opinions on my set-up so far. Like I said I have a Team TC4, HS-625 steering servo, Novak XXL receiver, Novak GT7 ESC, IB3800 battery, and a Trinity Mosnter Horse Power Stock Motor(which is the track rec, motor.) My ride height it 5m(track rec.), and gearing at 72/27. Also the Mazada 6 body. The track requires to run rubber CS27's which I'll have get at the track. I guess my question was does my setup sound decent for stock racing, so for I have been practiing at a local club in a rented banquet hall and the car handles incrediblity, but my only real competition is my friend and his Pro4. Otherwise is all 4-tecs( these races are run by a local hobbyshop). And input would be greatley appreciated.
Bandit72577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 11:13 AM   #6942
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

What are everyones thoughts on the foam set-up that comes with the FT? I have been running it in stock and think its great! I've had some very fast people drive the car and they have all liked the set-up. These are Xray drivers, btw. Now I am reading on this thread and others that the TC4 scrubs too much speed in the corners. Has anyone tried taking ackerman out as the foam setup starts with the most ackerman. I will try it next week to see if I like it more or less.

I have found that I am as fast or faster than some of the fastest guys at my track in 180 deg corners (stock or 19T), and I am not one of the fastest guys. I think all the really good guys use an Xray or maybe an odd RDX.

My only gripe is in transitions, the car feels slower to transition than the guys using Xrays. It is more probably the set-up or me though. The fact remains though I loose track to guys in medium/slow speed transitions. There are'nt any high speed transitions to compare on.

Overall, tire wear is even and lap times are dropping as I get used to the car. Once I plateau with the foam set-up I'll try bigger changes.
beerbarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 11:53 AM   #6943
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

People are talking about the soft set ups on the TC4 and FT TC4.
I started with a set up pretty close to the FT carpet set up.

I run brushless, a little heavy compared to brushed electrics.
The car was pushy so I started making changes.

Now Dave W. gave me a set up that used lighter shock oil but much stiffer springs.
I tweaked the set up and the car is quite quick in transitions, getting closer to a 12th scale transition quick.
The car is not all the way there, but I am getting much quicker lap times that are getting very competitive with all racers except one. But I am getting closer to him also.
To me I am seeing a trend, we will see.
God Bless
CRC WTF-1
Jsaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 03:36 PM   #6944
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsaves
People are talking about the soft set ups on the TC4 and FT TC4.
I started with a set up pretty close to the FT carpet set up.

I run brushless, a little heavy compared to brushed electrics.
The car was pushy so I started making changes.

Now Dave W. gave me a set up that used lighter shock oil but much stiffer springs.
I tweaked the set up and the car is quite quick in transitions, getting closer to a 12th scale transition quick.
The car is not all the way there, but I am getting much quicker lap times that are getting very competitive with all racers except one. But I am getting closer to him also.
To me I am seeing a trend, we will see.
God Bless
What are the springs that you are running? Also is this Ozite w/foams and what brand/compound tires along with traction compound?

Just curios because I was considering going heavier on the springs from the base foam setup.
beerbarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 08:43 PM   #6945
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default tc4 kit vs a second hand pro 4 04?

whiuch would u pick why?? which is more reliable?
aus jd 2703 is offline   Reply With Quote