R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-27-2005, 10:45 AM   #6916
Tech Adept

Are the composite cvd's alot weaker than the aluminum cvd's? Ive noticed the composites are about 1.5 grams lighter per cvd so thats 6 grams less rotational weight on the drivetrain, not sure if 6 grams will realy make a difirence but they look pretty strong ive just never used them so would be interested in knowing if anyone here has ever broken one, I also cant imagine them bending but I would expect a certain ammount of flex.

what are your thoughts?
SA_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 10:49 AM   #6917
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

just get the Aluminum ones and be done with it.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:40 AM   #6918
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA_Racer
Are the composite cvd's alot weaker than the aluminum cvd's? Ive noticed the composites are about 1.5 grams lighter per cvd so thats 6 grams less rotational weight on the drivetrain, not sure if 6 grams will realy make a difirence but they look pretty strong ive just never used them so would be interested in knowing if anyone here has ever broken one, I also cant imagine them bending but I would expect a certain ammount of flex.

what are your thoughts?
the weight difference isn't going to do much. i personally run the composite ones in the rear, i do this only so that i have more spare aluminum ones for the front where they wear more often and take more abuse. I've had composite bones in the rear since May and they are still in perfect condition.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:33 PM   #6919
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 238 (100%+)

Reducing (or adding) rotational mass at the axis of rotation has realistically nil effect when you're talking comparatively small numbers (like 6g on a 1500g +/- car). It is certainly mass, no doubt about it but it doesn't have much effect other than between the ears, certainly no where NEAR as much (like, exponentially) as reducing mass toward the circumference of your tires/wheels, gears, etc.

Scottrik
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 12:42 PM   #6920
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

This is a discussion that comes and goes over time - accompanied by much argument.

There are two schools of thought regarding droop.

First is that it is not, strictly speaking, affected by tire wear because it is the AMOUNT of drop-out from the chassis to some point measured at the end of the suspension arm (AE Gauge method). Tire wear is completely irrelevant here since we're not measuring anything having to do with tires. This is the DIFFERENCE between ride height and the amount of down-travel each arm has - call it down-travel instead of droop (D-T). As the tires wear down (we're talking foams here) this will not change.

The Second IS affected by tire wear because it is measured as an absolute value. It is the measurement, with the tire on the ground, of how far UP the chassis will travel. Use a RH gauge, hold the tire to the ground, and measure with the chassis lifted as far up as it will go - measure at all four corners. This IS affected by tire wear simply because the tires ARE a measure. Call it full-extension-RH (F-E-RH).

so, which is right? Again - different schools of thought.

Personally, I think the second is more important. Essentially, it's the RH at full extension. If, as you wear your tires, both your RH and full-extension-RH decrease, your handling is going to change, then you must make adjustment for it by adjusting BOTH your RH AND your F-E-RH. But you really need a base setup to begin with - that should include a starting tire-size, standard RH and D-T (which will establish a beginning F-E-RH) - then throughout the day you can adjust the F-E-RH and RH as needed.

I hope this made sense. I'm NOT dogmatic about it, I'm just trying to digest a LOT of previous argument into a short, explicit little blurb. . .
Old 10-27-2005, 12:42 PM   #6921
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA_Racer

what are your thoughts?
I started with the RTR so all I had was the composite CVDs. As a beginner, I put the car through quite a torture test. I did manage to break one of the front CVDs, but not until I had a horrible crash that broke the front suspension arm and the steering hub and bent the hinge pin and the bolts that hold the steering hub in place. Given all the other damage, I was not surprised that I also broke the CVD.

The composite CVDs have survived slightly less dramatic crashes, including one that broke the suspension arm.

Thus, my conclusion is that the composite CVDs are quite tough. They are not as pretty, but I would not hesitate to use them. I was actually disappointed that my LHS did not have the composites, so I had to get a pair of alu CVDs to replace my broken one. Now I run alu front, composite rear.

Ira
iblumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 12:44 PM   #6922
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik
Reducing (or adding) rotational mass at the axis of rotation has realistically nil effect when you're talking comparatively small numbers (like 6g on a 1500g +/- car). It is certainly mass, no doubt about it but it doesn't have much effect other than between the ears, certainly no where NEAR as much (like, exponentially) as reducing mass toward the circumference of your tires/wheels, gears, etc.

Scottrik
I think you're right - but you might use a different number. Not all of the car rotates, so you'd be looking, more realistically, at 6g on a rotating mass of 150g (or whatever the drive-shaft, gears, dogbones, and tires would total - it'll be more significant than as compared to the entire car, but still small. . .)
Old 10-27-2005, 04:41 PM   #6923
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

someone asked me through PM to post pics of the shock upgrades and the battery strap. not the best pictures but i hope they suffice.

Old 10-27-2005, 05:09 PM   #6924
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer
This is a discussion that comes and goes over time - accompanied by much argument.

There are two schools of thought regarding droop.

First is that it is not, strictly speaking, affected by tire wear because it is the AMOUNT of drop-out from the chassis to some point measured at the end of the suspension arm (AE Gauge method). Tire wear is completely irrelevant here since we're not measuring anything having to do with tires. This is the DIFFERENCE between ride height and the amount of down-travel each arm has - call it down-travel instead of droop (D-T). As the tires wear down (we're talking foams here) this will not change.

The Second IS affected by tire wear because it is measured as an absolute value. It is the measurement, with the tire on the ground, of how far UP the chassis will travel. Use a RH gauge, hold the tire to the ground, and measure with the chassis lifted as far up as it will go - measure at all four corners. This IS affected by tire wear simply because the tires ARE a measure. Call it full-extension-RH (F-E-RH).

so, which is right? Again - different schools of thought.

Personally, I think the second is more important. Essentially, it's the RH at full extension. If, as you wear your tires, both your RH and full-extension-RH decrease, your handling is going to change, then you must make adjustment for it by adjusting BOTH your RH AND your F-E-RH. But you really need a base setup to begin with - that should include a starting tire-size, standard RH and D-T (which will establish a beginning F-E-RH) - then throughout the day you can adjust the F-E-RH and RH as needed.

I hope this made sense. I'm NOT dogmatic about it, I'm just trying to digest a LOT of previous argument into a short, explicit little blurb. . .
Thanks Boom,

So, two different concepts. Downtravel and Full Extension Ride Height...Downtravel is changed as tires wear and ride height gets reset to maitain the same full extension ride height. I get it!

A downtravel number for a foam setup seems irrelevant unless your going to run tires exactly the same size. Too bad the AE crew doesn't do what the Losi drivers do and write down what the full extension ride height is instead of the downtravel ("droop") number
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 06:32 PM   #6925
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

AM03GT-

hey what online shop can i get that battery brace from? thanks man.

-joe
Old 10-27-2005, 07:00 PM   #6926
Tech Adept

Is there a difference between carbon and non-carbon parts? Other than $$$, I cant't seem to tell them apart.
beerbarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 07:03 PM   #6927
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

So two different schools, 2 different methods...............1 simple solution........RUBBER

Thats what we have done down here in aus, at most major events we are now got a controled rubber tire, the tire war as we call it was just getting too big. But this is coming from an off roader who has just started onroad

I should get my FT TC4 on monday, man i cant wait, ive gone full out on starting to race onroad. new car, tire warmers, setup bored and all that TC crap you use. But i will forever think that Off road is where the racings at
Old 10-27-2005, 08:09 PM   #6928
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbarron
Is there a difference between carbon and non-carbon parts? Other than $$$, I cant't seem to tell them apart.
Non-carbon parts are darker than the carbon parts. Carbon parts have lighter colored composite fiber through them.
Non-carbon is also less brittle but also not as stiff as their carbon based counterparts.
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 08:19 PM   #6929
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_fender
Correct me if i'm wrong :

X 2.5 + square = 2.5 ░ toe in
X 3.0 + "O" = 1░ toe in

it could be the reason of your problem??
Just saw this.Not sure of the total with the "o" block.If your right I would imagine that at least is a factor.I was just wondering if that amount of wear could be considered normal or not.The car drives awesome like this,so if it's normal I'll deal with it.Just got home from practice,haven't measured anything yet,but the car was handling great.Set the front ride height to 4.5mm and got my low speed steering.The track was also warmer too.Thanks for all the help,Mario.
lotus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 08:29 PM   #6930
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Dave W.
This guy knows what he is talking about. Use it and see.
God Bless
Bryan
CRC WTF-1
Jsaves is offline   Reply With Quote