R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-16-2004, 10:14 AM   #571
Tech Addict

Johnbull, I don't agree with your comment. "But the ones I blame are the manufacturers. They should fix a retail price and insist that shops stick to it. And if they don't, they simply don't supply them." I don't think that everyone selling at same price is good for customers. Here the government has just fined 3 companys for little under 2 million dollars because the 3 company directors split the market between them and sold the same product at the exact same price for years, pocketing high profits.

It is not good in the long term for companys to sell stuff below cost, but it's common. Almost every company has done it with "special offers" and "introductionary discounts". How many motors, bodys or ESCs are Hobby People going to sell with the kits? They might come out in profit and hurt the competition while doing it. That is called sound business, although doing it this way, gives the word businessman a bad taste in the mouth. Anyway, I'm casting my vote and buying from SpeedtechRC.
andsetinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 10:38 AM   #572
Tech Regular

I just check and Tower Hobbies have tc4 in stock so I think all the other places should have tc4 also. Can't wait to get one.
Vue Vang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 11:11 AM   #573
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I just ordered a TC4 from Ultimate Hobbies. Great deal. I was only after that item and the free shipping and kit price makes it worthwhile.

Hey I don't think any retailer does anything wrong with whatever price they want to sell at. This is North America and we live in a Free Enterprise System. Every industry is getting cut-throat now. Survival of the fitest. Everything is volume now. I work in the Electrical Distribution Industry in Industrial Automation as an Account Manager for Allen-Bradley. You should see what I go through everyday. We are never the lowest price. But we offer value add in many ways to the customer that the competition doesn't. We go to the manufacturer for special pricing if having a hard time selling into an account and stuff like that.

Basically you are on the internet to help supplement your business. This is the business success for the future we are all told. All you guys are doing extraordinary things to help attract customers. Do you know that all you online hobby stores don't have the same pricing for shipping with UPS, USPS etc? Think what Tower and a few other big names get.

Tower Hobbies always offers these coupons codes and if you remember there was a list of price discounts in September (7 levels) I tried to take advantage of a $50 off level when ordering my Traxxas Revo. It was $479.99 and on back-order and you had to spend $500 to get to the highest discount of $50. So I bought some small parts to go along with the the order. Those shipped out Priority Mail and the whole order shipping cost was $12.99. That means the backorder Revo was free shipping as they have to ship out twice and it's cost is would be like it was $429.99 if you think about it. Discount applied when back-order ships. I wanted it for a trophy race as my MGT is junk so I cancelled the back-order. I did buy it from a Hobby Store that was just becoming more involved with sponsoring our track. I bought the damn thing for $510 out the door which is still good but it is painful knowing that is $80 more. Oh well! Even after that purchase I went to this new store and made 2 more purchases. So I have spent almost a $1000 there. I do support local hobby shops but I as a customer mostly need stuff in stock and that is not the case with hobby stores. That is why some retailers whether on ebay or online get my business for the R/C stuff I need. I deal with Tower Hobbies, Stormer Hobbies, some eBay sellers and you get the stuff fast enough. You save a reasonable amount too. I tried Ultimate Hobbies in this case and I do plan on dealing with Speedtech also as I drive a TRF415 and like the offering on the hopups and layout of the webiste. I am just waiting for any additional items in his Tamiya order to come in. Steve does support the hobby very well from what I can see and posts lots on this website to help out. I see that value.

As for Tower, I think they are Great Planes distributor? Maybe they use extra profits on those lines they sell to support these offers and pricing. I do think there is some other factors like the shipping and other overhead costs and maybe the fact that some retailers buy in huge lots orders of items and get an additional discount per item.

I think the manufacturers are to blame in most cases. They set these M.S.R.P. (List Prices) and make the most money themselves. I think they make a good amount on anything they push out the door. I realize they have some higher costs like the wonderful engineers who do good work and the machinery to make items.

But we could easily take a pair of foam tires as a prime example. Also everyone knows that Plastic Injection Molding is like a license to print money. And R/C mostly has items that are plastic or other molded parts.

As for this arguement Hobby People does have it for $189.99 and every business has to decide if they need to respond to it with price matching or something else or just hope they will still be able to sell the item at the best they can do.

My Outdated R/C Car collection:
Associated B44, Associated NTC3, Tamiya TRF415, TRF415 MSX MRE, TRF416X
190mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 11:14 AM   #574
Tech Addict

Default What is everyone here crying about?

Most businesses want as much as they can get for a kit. Should I feel sorry for them? The mail order business nearly always under cuts the local hobby shops. Should the local shops complain? For me, I'll just support my local hobby shop even if I have to pay an extra $20. They have a indoor race track.

Last edited by Nightbreed; 10-16-2004 at 05:43 PM.
Nightbreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 11:32 AM   #575
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Thank you Nightbreed for supporting your local track. Our indoor track closed here over 10 years ago. We were having 3 races a week between our off road and on road track with eac race pulling in about 75-100 racers. Problem was that people started to do alot of mail order to save that $.50 on a spur gear and $.75 on a pair of tires and the track couldn't stay in business. I support my local shop because that is where people go to if they are interested in our great hobby/ sport. If we didn't have the small business man squeaking by with these small shops, the intrest in this industry would die off and we would all be worse off for it.
Old 10-16-2004, 11:38 AM   #576
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

With all the hype you would think they could sell them at the going rate or even above atleast untill the hype wears off. You know you guys would have paid full price plus shipping just to have the first one.
Peter Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 03:10 PM   #577
TCR
Tech Addict

very true, but I think the most important things people can do is support there tracks and LHS

without them, there would be no hobby, and you'll find yourself stuck shopping at walmat for your r/c parts

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Busch
With all the hype you would think they could sell them at the going rate or even above atleast untill the hype wears off. You know you guys would have paid full price plus shipping just to have the first one.
TCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 07:31 PM   #578
Tech Regular

Agree.

Support your LHS. If they die out and the whole business is based on mail orders, who is going to take the trouble to build and maintain tracks? The LHS plays a big part in this hobby. In our country the LHS/tracks are meeting places for all hobbyists to meet up/chat/exchange ideas/build friendships. They (the LHS) help build the community and are at the frontline to promote and expand the hobby.

I just can't stand it when some people here in our country whine about a LHS charging five/ten bucks more for a kit than an online shop. Yet they have the cheek to approach the LHS for help if something goes wrong with the product they bought online.

Anyway, back to the TC4 which is what this thread is about.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:38 PM   #579
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Roberto Falcon

anybody got pics of there cars yet ?
Old 10-16-2004, 08:36 PM   #580
TCR
Tech Addict

Someone should take pictures as they build it
TCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 11:14 PM   #581
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by TCR
I understand this is your site and all, and you want to support the shops that pay your bills, I dont think it's in the best interest to call out one hobby shop "Ultimate" calling it shoddy business, without saying the same for all the other shops doing the same thing.
The great thing about this site is that as long as it is making enough to pay the bills (which it is, just barely!) I don't have to worry about ticking anybody off. This is why there is very little moderation, so far as people complaining about one company or another. I can't promise that it will always be like this--there are realities to every business, and mine is no different, especially with rising costs--but I honestly don't take into account who I may upset when I post something. I do try to not to rail on anybody too much, since I think this is a bit of a soapbox and people might take my opinions a little too seriously, but I do still have them.

And no, Ultimate has never contacted me or expressed interest in advertising here. Neither has Hobby People. But my opinion has nothing to do with who does or does not advertise.

I don't mean to call out one particular shop; that's why I said that any shop doing this would be, in my opinion, just as bad.

In fact, I actually own a hobby shop--which incidentally has nothing to do with this site--and the price that Ultimate is offering the car to consumers at is actually below what I have to pay to get a kit. Imagine how that makes me feel!
Old 10-16-2004, 11:15 PM   #582
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to diskostew

mine is just about built. It is all done and now I have to set it up. So I will do that tomorrow and hopefully be able to make it to the track next week. One thing that is cool is that the front shock tower sets up the shock placement like running a rear tower up front on the TC3. That works for me. My home track is SoCal and I believe that Tony Phalen said that the stock setup was compatible with SoCal...

I need to go pick up some sway bars... but i haven't found any yet. does anybody know where i can pick up a set?

also, I used to run 4 degrees of caster on my TC3. does anybody know the combination of shims to put in the front to make it 4 degrees? I believe it is set up for 2 degrees but i am not sure... I haven't put it on my setup station yet...
diskostew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 12:36 AM   #583
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by gacjr0
Will my motor from my TC3 fit in my TC4?
lmao
kh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 01:12 AM   #584
Tech Regular

Diskostew: Look for a one-way setup early this week on AE's website...this is probably where you'd want to start for SoCal.

I don't think the sway bar kits are available yet. The bars are the same as the TC3, but the tough thing is getting the pivot ball and caps.

The TC4 kit comes with zero degree caster blocks, but you can achieve 4 degrees of kickup by having 4 more "notches" on the triangle block than the circle block. But I wouldn't recommend this. The TC4 caster blocks should be available shortly, but for the time being the TC3 caster blocks will work with a little bit of grinding.

Brent Thielke
AE Team Manager
51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 01:26 AM   #585
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hey guys, I've been running the TC4 the last couple of days at a race over here. I have to tell you, It's a sweet build. Yes I did do an all nighter to get it set for the weekend and I have to admite it drives much better than the TC3.

The upper camber link mounts have already been upgraded with a guide to drumel off a section to clear the easy removal of the diff on both front and rear.

I'm very pleased with all the renovations they've done with it. They just made a better car better.

jess
Team Associated | Reedy | Orca
jzone is offline   Reply With Quote