R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-19-2005, 02:57 PM   #5656
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advil
Hi Eric,

If you are still using the stock plastic wheel hexes, please loosen your wheel nuts. The stock plastic ones will bind on the bearing creating exactly what you are describing, two revolutions then stop.

Front end slop: Depends on "where" it is coming from. You will probably have to shim up the inner hinge pin area and the steering bell crank assembly. Those two areas need plenty of attention.

Art

Art,

Thanks for the input. The drive train condition occurs without any wheels on the car. As far as the slop goes, the front "C" hub carrier's hinge pin seems to be the source for the majority of this slop. The pin appears to be loose in the hinge pin holes. If you move the hubcarrier/steering arm, it seems as though there is a lot of flex in the forward/back directions (increased and decreased caster).
KSKT Racing - #1 in SK Racing Chassis
Darkside Motorsports - "WE ARE WHAT'S NEXT." - www.darksidems.com
THE DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 03:01 PM   #5657
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPhalen
Eric: Thanks for the input. The Factory Team car will come with the Ti turnbuckles. I'll head back and check out the steelies and see if they are bent. First we've heard of this....well, me, anyway.

Carbon. We had a bunch of chassis' up and ready to go but found that the carbon was not laid up correctly. So, instead of putting the car out with the bad chassis, we decided to wait a 'little' longer (hopefully) and put out a better chassis. I know it sucks but we do want you to have a good product. I'm sure Jason feels this also....

Tony,

Thanks for the response. I have learned that as a mfr, being available to respond to customer concerns as you do on these forums, is essential. I also appreciate that Team Associated cares enough to not release early or defective products for sale. It is yet another example of how Assoicated sets the standard in the industry. I've had dealings with companies who don't seem to care about selling defective or bent parts. I just cannot understand how low some companies quality standards are.

Now, if I could only get that drive train free'd up.........

-Eric
KSKT Racing - #1 in SK Racing Chassis
Darkside Motorsports - "WE ARE WHAT'S NEXT." - www.darksidems.com
THE DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 03:46 PM   #5658
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Most of my slop in the front is the steering wrack but I just kept working and shimming and now the slop is mainly the link from the servo to the steering rack.

My TC4 spins pretty free for a new car. I did clean my bearings and it spins a ton better than my original TC3 did and is getting better everytime I run the car so I'm happy. Associated must of changes the cases just a little so they don't pinch when the tightened together. A vast improvment over stock.

I really like the TC4 as at first look it is very similiar to a tC3 but once you build one they are really different. I was impressed with the extra adjustments they have for the car and overall improvments. Another plus is at least the Team Kit is affordable and performs well out of the box. Well I thought mine ran great.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around). Too many titles to list
Shout out to: Sticky Kicks, CR Graphics and Race Ready Products
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 04:44 PM   #5659
Tech Adept

wyd - Mine ran well also (after reading this thread).

Thanks everyone for posting your information here for all to read and review at our leisure. After building my kit and running it and not being happy I went back to my TC3 which has alway run well. After seeing others driving the TC4 with success I decided to give it another try but to spend some research time prior to running the car.

What I found was answers to the builders (ME) mistakes posted right here.

Keep posting and sharing the success of the TC4, the more I read, the faster I seem to get on the track.
TCFOYOAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 05:35 PM   #5660
wyd
Tech Legend

Keep running the car. It takes time to dial in a car. The TC3 is similiar but remember they are not the same and the TC4 has alot more adjustments to fine tune the car. Setup will more than likely take you a little longer to learn the additional adjustments.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:39 PM   #5661
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Hey have any of you guys tried running a spool yet? I ran one in my Schuie but that car is a different animal.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:41 PM   #5662
wyd
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barry
Hey have any of you guys tried running a spool yet? I ran one in my Schuie but that car is a different animal.
Right now thats the only thing I have ran in the car. I would like to try a one way just to see what differance I see in the car but it has to be at a track I'm familiar with.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:44 PM   #5663
Super Moderator

hmm I might have to look through the 50 million parts that my brother in law and I have and see if theres a spool in there. I know there was a one way. Im running a diff right now and with the ceramic balls in there its soooo smooth. I have to say that I personally have never had a car as free as mine is right now. What is everyone doing as far as lightening up the drive train. Ex: drive shaft etc.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:54 PM   #5664
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Hey Bob how is it going, hey wyd I have a TC-3 IRS spool for sale if your interested $15.00 if your interested pm me its brand new.

1/12th Fo' Life!!! R.I.P Mike Reedy, R.I.P John Williams

[-Horsham RC-] [-Jackson RC-] [-RC Car World-] [ Black Out Free 2015 ]
mike ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 05:57 PM   #5665
Super Moderator

Mr Ivy, whats up my man. I just PM'd you. Im going to be leaving work in a few so I will talk to you more tomorrow.

Bob
robert.barry@cendantssg.com
Old 07-19-2005, 06:00 PM   #5666
wyd
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mivy
Hey Bob how is it going, hey wyd I have a TC-3 IRS spool for sale if your interested $15.00 if your interested pm me its brand new.
You have PM. I will take it. Man I have not raced with you for along time. Last time I remember was at track in Phila off 309. Forgot the name but it wa a tight carpet track.

Brian
Old 07-19-2005, 06:49 PM   #5667
Tech Adept

Location: San Marcos/San Antonio, Tx but chillin in Orlando, FL for now.
Send a message via AIM to MikeDeadly

Hey Bob:
To lighten my drivetrain up as much as possible i run an aluminum spool up front, and the regular plastic outdrives in the rear. Im usually only running stock or 19 turn so they hold up just fine. I think the biggest thing i did though was get rid of the aluminum driveshaft. I replaced it with the carbon shaft that came with the TC3, i also had to use the input cups from the TC3 because the pins in the aluminum shaft and carbon shaft are different.
MikeDeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 01:18 AM   #5668
Tech Master

Traditionally basher bodies don't handle all that great but is the body that comes with the TC4 RTR an exception? I personally think it looks damn cool, but if it handles like garbage than I'd rather spend the cash on a Stratus 3 or a Mazda 6. Can anyone answer that for me? Tony P? Did Associated do any testing with it? Or is it just designed to look cool to morons like me

And: Why doesn't anyone run the stock plastic hinge-pin mounts. If I had the car I'd just run those because of how cheap they are compared to the aluminum (unless theres a good reason of course!)

And again....How the heck do you guys gear for the Reedy Quad-Mag motors? It looks like you'd need a 69/72 tooth spur unless you used like a 33 tooth pinion!

Last edited by BlackKat; 07-20-2005 at 01:44 AM.
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 02:09 AM   #5669
Tech Adept

Quote:
What ever happened to the composite shaft that used to come with the TC3? The blue anodized aluminum one just seem significantly heavier
The composite shaft that used to come with the TC3 is not produced since 2 or 3 years.
The yokomo Shaft for the TC4 seems to be good.

I've tried the yokomo caps... shocks are really easy to build and get consistant from shock to shock.
The last thing that AE could improve is the shock pistons by rounding the angles... but i'm a perfectionist
S_fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 06:23 AM   #5670
Super Moderator

So whats the best alternative for the TC4 blue drive shaft?