Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree300Likes

Team Associated TC4

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 02:08 PM
Tech Master

Ti isn't stronger than steel..but it is nearly as strong..but its hell of a lot lighter and thats why its a decent metal.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:15 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by NVisible
Has anyone tried the Yokomo low friction shocks on thier TC4? Looking at pics from the Reedy it seems a few of the racers have tried them. Wondering how they fit, and which they are using (they come in Long and Short sizes) Also, how do they compare to the TRF Dampers?
As far as i know they were using the Assoc. FT hard anodised shocks but with Yok bladder caps on them
Old 07-05-2005, 02:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Oh nice! thx for the info
Old 07-05-2005, 02:57 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

You are right raving monkey.. Ti is 75% as strong as steel but is 55% lighter,But due to its molecular structure it's stiffer..it will break where under the same load steel will bend.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:32 PM
Tech Regular

thanks guys, i was wondering cause i was looking at the lunsford site, tir site and rcscrewz site and the rc screwz ones were the chepest cause they are steel while the tir kit was 75.00 and lunsford kit was like 95.00. i couldnt understand the huge difference i guess that the hinge pins and turnbuckles are cheaper because they are easier to make.

decided what im gonna get, the rc screwz screw kit and the lunsford turnbuckles and hinge pins. any objections?
Old 07-05-2005, 06:19 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by i_got_m8_4_$85
thanks guys, i was wondering cause i was looking at the lunsford site, tir site and rcscrewz site and the rc screwz ones were the chepest cause they are steel while the tir kit was 75.00 and lunsford kit was like 95.00. i couldnt understand the huge difference i guess that the hinge pins and turnbuckles are cheaper because they are easier to make.

decided what im gonna get, the rc screwz screw kit and the lunsford turnbuckles and hinge pins. any objections?
I have the Lunsford Titanium tie rods and the RC Screws Stainless steel screw kit on my TC4. The stainless kit can be bought for right around 20 bucks. Only weight worth worrying about is spinning weight. I would never waste money on Ti screw kits. Just go with the stainless steel.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:36 PM
Tech Master

Currently, the only Ti parts on my car is a screw kit (only because i drive for tiR and it was cheap ) and worlds edition CVDs/axles....i'm looking for a Ti/CF centre shaft though.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:10 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by raving-monkey
Currently, the only Ti parts on my car is a screw kit (only because i drive for tiR and it was cheap ) and worlds edition CVDs/axles....i'm looking for a Ti/CF centre shaft though.
I looking at drive shafts to. I think the old TC3 black shaft is nice and light but I don't think you can get them anymore. I'm also looking at the Tobee racing ones as well. I had one on my Yokomo SD and it is very light and worked well.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Check out...

Team Bomber's carbon shaft. Go to www.speedtechrc.com
Old 07-05-2005, 08:32 PM
Tech Master

Ti is stronger than steel, but it does tend to break as opposed to bending.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DerekB
There are so many alloys and hardening treatments for both you can't make generalizations like that about Ti and Steel. You can make Ti do anything Steel can do but its lighter. The only caveat is that you can never make Ti wear like steel because its a poor bearing surface..it galls easily.

Dude, I just used the word caveat...whoa!
Old 07-05-2005, 08:53 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by DerekB
It is and it isn't, check this link out

http://homepages.which.net/~paul.hil...rialsBody.html

Ti can have a higher tensile strength but I doubt the grade used for screws for our cars is the best.

Ti again can have a higher yeild strength than steel but prob not the grade we get.

The big ones though are Youngs modulus (E) and Shear modulus, E is only half that of steel and the Shear modulus is not much more than half of steel.

What this means is that in a big impact a normal steel screw will just bend or stretch and a Ti screw is more likely to shear off or snap.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fathead
It is and it isn't, check this link out

http://homepages.which.net/~paul.hil...rialsBody.html

Ti can have a higher tensile strength but I doubt the grade used for screws for our cars is the best.

Ti again can have a higher yeild strength than steel but prob not the grade we get.

The big ones though are Youngs modulus (E) and Shear modulus, E is only half that of steel and the Shear modulus is not much more than half of steel.

What this means is that in a big impact a normal steel screw will just bend or stretch and a Ti screw is more likely to shear off or snap.
The screws we use (TiR) are 6/4 Ti. I have seen them pull through a 2.5mm carbon chassis without breaking. The were certainly bent though! Most of the Ti stuff you see around is certified Ti (malleable/soft for forging heads). TiR screw are machined.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:18 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by AdrianM
I have seen them pull through a 2.5mm carbon chassis without breaking. The were certainly bent though!
Man I would have liked to see the crash that caused that
Old 07-05-2005, 10:17 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Trixter
Been a TC3 racer version owner since they came out and very pleased; still.

I am wondering if i get the BMI chassis kit and put it in, how far away from a FTTC4 will I be? They don't look all that different.

Anyone able to answer this one?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.