R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-01-2005, 03:34 AM   #3496
Tech Master

We're progressing well with the TC4.

I put my comments on the Mike Blackstock page by mistake, but I expect all TC4 owners tune into that page too.

Looking for good tarmac / asphalt set ups with rubber tyres.

DAVE. The set up we're running so far is pretty close to yours, and Josh says the car is already easier to drive than the TC3. The thing is, the TC3 was ballistic last Sunday. I played about with roll centres and it looked after it's tyres so much better. We did all 3 finals on the same set of tyres and his last final was his quickest - every single lap except the start lap was in the 13s. Some guys didn't manage a 13 second lap all day.

As soon as I think we have a good damper set up we will start on other things. At the moment it's on 0.5 shims all round, making all the bottom arms flat, but I'll start playing with those soon too.

To be fair, all 5 or 6 packs we've done with it so far have been with soft motors and cells, and already the times are there. If we get an afternoon at the track soon I'll put some good motors and cell son and see what we've got.

In the meantime it's looking very encouraging.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 09:29 AM   #3497
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

as a general rule (your mileage may vary) here is what i found out so far
- stock setup is quite good as far as roll center is concerned on carpet with rubber tires
- The more slippery it gets, the fewer shims i will tend to have
- always have more shims in the rear than the front (rear roll center works best when higher than the front)
- on indoor carpet, the car has lots of grip with my tire combo (sorex18 and Blue jb foams) but having soft wheels is probably a mistake (use hard rims)

What i think could be improved on tc4:

- general front/rear chassis stiffness (in the works )
- shock tower flex
- stock diffs : please those pleastic ones are barely good for stock, they age badly on mod.. i ve switched to lightened steel and they re way better and hold up great

Utieh has the square delrin one and i might steal it from him at some point: it s awesome

I am putting together a TC4 setup + picture library database, please feel free to send me yours.
You can find them on my site.

cheers
Patriiick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 12:40 PM   #3498
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Greg Amendola
Default ROAR REGION 8 Champs, TC4 dominates

Just got back from the Region 8 race, and the car was dialed. Below is the link to my setup for carpet, med bite.

https://home.comcast.net/~travissurr...20Amendola.pdf

In touring stock, I had TQ by 3 seconds over 2nd place. Won the class.
In touring 19T, the car was on it's own lap ~ 4 seconds in front of 2nd. Lost TQ due to Qual points, took 4th overall.
In touring Mod, the car TQ'd and won the class - Jari Taskila

A couple of notes: I would use the Cyan/Magenta (aka Double pink& orange/double pink) combo since it gives more traction. Also, if traction is high, go to yellow springs all the way around.

Good luck!
Greg Amendola
ROAR Region 8 Touring Stock Champion
Greg Amendola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 02:51 PM   #3499
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to TommyGun43
Default Diffs

I've always run my diffs with the nut backed off much further than recommended in the manual...about 1 1/2 turns backed off (for stock). To me it seems like you would want the diff as free as possible but never slipping....but many set ups I see for TC's say diff-"tight"...so I think I may be missing something.

Can someone explain how to correctly setup a diff? How much do you back the screw off? What kind of lube do you use? (Is the stuff that comes in the kit junk?) And do you break the diff in at all by holding one tire and spinning the motor a bit or just run it.
Well I know the answer is just run it but thought I'd ask to be sure LOL.

thanks!
TommyGun43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 02:56 PM   #3500
Tech Regular

Front diff should be a little tighter than the rear. I usually set up the rear like manual, and then just a little tighter for the front.

Before I check final tightness, I break in the diff. I took an old dogbone, cut off the cvd end, chucked it up in a drill, inserted it in the diff, held the other end and spin it! Then I check the tightness again. I have found that the diff will not change when put in the car and run. I make sure that by holding both ends of the diff, that I can't turn the diff gear.
JWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 02:59 PM   #3501
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by JWATT
Front diff should be a little tighter than the rear. I usually set up the rear like manual, and then just a little tighter for the front.

Before I check final tightness, I break in the diff. I took an old dogbone, cut off the cvd end, chucked it up in a drill, inserted it in the diff, held the other end and spin it! Then I check the tightness again. I have found that the diff will not change when put in the car and run. I make sure that by holding both ends of the diff, that I can't turn the diff gear.
Man don't trust this guy lol Hey John i will call you later.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:01 PM   #3502
Tech Regular

Hey Steve, got motors?
JWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 03:06 PM   #3503
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

On the way
Old 03-01-2005, 03:38 PM   #3504
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Re: ROAR REGION 8 Champs, TC4 dominates

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg Amendola
Just got back from the Region 8 race, and the car was dialed. Below is the link to my setup for carpet, med bite.

https://home.comcast.net/~travissurr...20Amendola.pdf

In touring stock, I had TQ by 3 seconds over 2nd place. Won the class.
In touring 19T, the car was on it's own lap ~ 4 seconds in front of 2nd. Lost TQ due to Qual points, took 4th overall.
In touring Mod, the car TQ'd and won the class - Jari Taskila

A couple of notes: I would use the Cyan/Magenta (aka Double pink& orange/double pink) combo since it gives more traction. Also, if traction is high, go to yellow springs all the way around.

Good luck!
Greg Amendola
ROAR Region 8 Touring Stock Champion
So I presume that you beat a very wicked fast BMI Xray? Sounds like your car was dialed all weekend. Wish I could have made it. Is the setup posted the one that you ran at the Hobbyplex?

Later,
CRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 04:11 PM   #3505
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to TommyGun43

What kind of diff lube do you use? Probably not the stuff that comes in the kit right.

thanks
-Tom
TommyGun43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 04:55 PM   #3506
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by johnbull
We're progressing well with the TC4.

I put my comments on the Mike Blackstock page by mistake, but I expect all TC4 owners tune into that page too.

Looking for good tarmac / asphalt set ups with rubber tyres.

DAVE. The set up we're running so far is pretty close to yours, and Josh says the car is already easier to drive than the TC3. The thing is, the TC3 was ballistic last Sunday. I played about with roll centres and it looked after it's tyres so much better. We did all 3 finals on the same set of tyres and his last final was his quickest - every single lap except the start lap was in the 13s. Some guys didn't manage a 13 second lap all day.

As soon as I think we have a good damper set up we will start on other things. At the moment it's on 0.5 shims all round, making all the bottom arms flat, but I'll start playing with those soon too.

To be fair, all 5 or 6 packs we've done with it so far have been with soft motors and cells, and already the times are there. If we get an afternoon at the track soon I'll put some good motors and cell son and see what we've got.

In the meantime it's looking very encouraging.
Joe..

Glad you are starting to mess around with the TC4 now... I"mm starting to try a few set ups now with a spool for the 1st time on Med~High Grip track this weekend.. and I"ll see if the set up now holds up
-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 05:04 PM   #3507
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by TommyGun43
What kind of diff lube do you use? Probably not the stuff that comes in the kit right.

thanks
-Tom
I believe the 'stuff' that comes in the kit is probably one of the best diff lubes out there... The Stealth Diff lube (not the black grease)

I'm no hotshoe but most guys at the local track run that 'stuff' no matter which car they run...
MartynD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 05:06 PM   #3508
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Thumbs up More good things from Square

Here is some of the latest stuff that will be out on the 12 of March ... looks like they have made a chage to the spur gear holder over the last design and the new rear alloy input shaft bearing holder looks trick.....and the Floro coated sus balls might just be the trick to get rid of some of the play
-Dave

JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 01:48 AM   #3509
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Those parts look nice Dave.

I like that you could remove the lay shaft without removing the whole brace. Looks great! Now, if they can only match up the colors. Dave do you know if they are working on some nice CF shock towers 4 the TC4?
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 01:57 AM   #3510
Tech Master

Hi Dave.

Nice new stuff from Square. I might ask you to buy me a set some time, if that's all right with you.

Your description of your track sounds a bit like ours - medium grip tarmac / asphalt so we could be a bit of help to each other with set ups.

I'm already very impressed with the way it's going, considering we've only run half a dozen packs in it. As soon as the weather is a bit better we'll try some more. There are so many things I still have to try. It's all very encouraging, and considering that Josh's TC3 is so quick, the fact that he says this one is easier to drive, is quite amazing.

I'll keep you posted.

In the meantime here's apic of the TC3 as it runs at the moment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tc3 feb 05.jpg (96.4 KB, 203 views)
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote