R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-30-2005, 04:19 PM   #3046
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by MartynD
Depends ...

I've never weighed mine, but watched a friend at the track weigh his yesterday. His has the carbon kit on it, and most of the aluminum parts as well. 1506g rubber tires, inc body and transponder.
That seems about right...
Mine weighed in a 1480g with body and full FT options minus fans and fan duct but add a IRS diff and transponder holder....also this was after the chassis went under the mill and lost 15 grams
-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 05:49 PM   #3047
Tech Regular

Apologies Tbevo, I completely forgot to weight the car today...

The scale is at the track, and I won't be back there until Tuesday.

I should have the IB cells in the next couple of days, so not done anything with them yet. As far as testing goes... I don't have the equipment to do any testing myself, though if I can find someone to cycle a pack for me I will. I can't even compare.. as these will be the first non-nicd cells I have ever owned.
MartynD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 06:11 PM   #3048
Tech Rookie

Default Help with TC4 diff - again!

I'm still struggling to get the diff correct. I replaced the front outdrives with the associated lightened ones, as we were shredding the plastic ones. Car held up great today thru 4 rounds of racing!

But, when you spin the diff, it feels like there is "grit" in it, just does not seem smooth. It is not too tight, I don't think.

If it feels like that, is it the large diff balls on the gear that are shot? or the small ones? Or have I done something really wrong.

I've followed the correct assembly pictures for the TC3, which seems to be the right one when using these outdrives that don't have the d-rings. Never had these problems with the diff on my T3 truck.

Any help appreciated!!

Paul
paulct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 06:44 PM   #3049
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to Paul_TC4
Default Need an answer... QUICK!

Does anybody know how much lighter the "lightened" outdrives are compared to the steel ones that come with the tc3?

Thank alot....
Paul_TC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 07:04 PM   #3050
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ChrisP

I don't have the weights in front of me.but there is a noticeable difference in weight..even just holding them in your hand...

There is an even bigger difference still if you go wtih the IRS aluminum outdrives..however you'll need pincushions or Niftech blades if you want to use these...
Old 01-30-2005, 07:07 PM   #3051
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Re: Need an answer... QUICK!

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul_TC4
Does anybody know how much lighter the "lightened" outdrives are compared to the steel ones that come with the tc3?

Thank alot....
The lightened steel outdrives are not much if any lighter, I have both. Now the IRS diffs are super light compared to the AE ones. They are the ones I am using along with the IRS pin cushions.

IRS Light Diff: IRS140
IRS Pin Cushions: IRS147

Later,
CRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 07:12 PM   #3052
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to Paul_TC4

thanks for the quick help guys!

--Paul
Paul_TC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 07:38 PM   #3053
Tech Master

Default Re: Help with TC4 diff - again!

Quote:
Originally posted by paulct
I'm still struggling to get the diff correct. I replaced the front outdrives with the associated lightened ones, as we were shredding the plastic ones. Car held up great today thru 4 rounds of racing!

But, when you spin the diff, it feels like there is "grit" in it, just does not seem smooth. It is not too tight, I don't think.

If it feels like that, is it the large diff balls on the gear that are shot? or the small ones? Or have I done something really wrong.

I've followed the correct assembly pictures for the TC3, which seems to be the right one when using these outdrives that don't have the d-rings. Never had these problems with the diff on my T3 truck.

Any help appreciated!!

Paul
What diff gear did you use? If you used the ones that came with the kit, you must have the "thicker" diff gear. If you got a dremel on hand, I posted instructions (some pages back) on how to fix the problem with the "thick diff gear" but if you have extra bucks to spare, just get a new one. The grit can sometimes be mistaken for the diff balls or thrust balls, but with AE's case, it is also the "diff gear" being a tad thick and it rubs against the face of the outdrive. I always make it a point to do alittle bit of milling with my dremel even with the good diff gears just to be sure that they are smooth when used or assembled. Just my .02, thanks
Fatboy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 01:12 AM   #3054
Tech Adept

Quote:
Apologies Tbevo, I completely forgot to weight the car today...
No worries MartynD I'll just be patient and wait for my kit to arrive (today or tomorow ) and I'll weigh it then.

You'll be surprised how good these cells perform!

Have fun!
Tbevofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 02:00 AM   #3055
Tech Addict

Default Re: Weight?

Quote:
Originally posted by Tbevofreak
Hi!!

Can you guys tell roughly how heavy the cars is when built up with electonics,motor,batteries (3300)?

I've read its a fairly heavy car and I'd just like to know if it's that much heavier than my evo3 SL

Thanks!!
Mine is 1520 grams.
With fairly heavy stuff inside: GP 3300 cells, Novak Brushless system (5300), old Traxxas 3 channel receiver (from E-Maxx), Hitec 605BB servo and metal diff outdrives.
But. The 1520 grams are without body.
andsetinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 03:36 AM   #3056
Tech Adept

Strange that Asso didn't try bringing out a lighter car.....there"s no sense in making a car too light cos you'll have to add some weight in the end anyway but still they should've made an effort on that.....maybe they won't us to buy all the light hop ups stuff!

So you think you're buying a cheap car for 200$ but after you realize you have to add another 100$ to make lighter and more reliable

I've just read on the older posts that the diff outdrives (plastic) can't handle modified motors
I ONLY run modified I just hope I'll be able to run the car stock for at least a little while and that I won't get those thick gears

Perhaps I should stop complaining now I haven't built my kit yet so I think I'll wait and complain after

Cheers
Tbevofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 03:39 AM   #3057
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Tbevofreak
Strange that Asso didn't try bringing out a lighter car.....there"s no sense in making a car too light cos you'll have to add some weight in the end anyway but still they should've made an effort on that.....maybe they won't us to buy all the light hop ups stuff!

So you think you're buying a cheap car for 200$ but after you realize you have to add another 100$ to make lighter and more reliable

I've just read on the older posts that the diff outdrives (plastic) can't handle modified motors
I ONLY run modified I just hope I'll be able to run the car stock for at least a little while and that I won't get those thick gears

Perhaps I should stop complaining now I haven't built my kit yet so I think I'll wait and complain after

Cheers
I have some NIB steel outdrives, PM me if interested, BTW where do you race??
utieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 05:14 AM   #3058
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally posted by diskostew
the part number is YS - 8D.
Thank's mate I'll see if I can get a hold of some.
rs911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 05:34 AM   #3059
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to lastplace

Having problems with my lightened steel outdrives...I broke the front plastic diff, transfered all the parts (except the rings) to the new steel outdrives. Put it togeather, backed it off a 1/2 turn and it does not turn evenly. Took out one of the bearings and it turns fine, are you suppose to use bushings instead of bearings? BTW the diff gear is a replacement one from Assoc.

Last edited by lastplace; 01-31-2005 at 05:54 AM.
lastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 06:32 AM   #3060
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by lastplace
Having problems with my lightened steel outdrives...I broke the front plastic diff, transfered all the parts (except the rings) to the new steel outdrives. Put it togeather, backed it off a 1/2 turn and it does not turn evenly. Took out one of the bearings and it turns fine, are you suppose to use bushings instead of bearings? BTW the diff gear is a replacement one from Assoc.
You have to use a different spring as well as the round rings. Plus the plastic t-nut.

Here is a link to the directions for the steel diff:

Lightened Steel Diff

Hope this helps,
CRASH is offline   Reply With Quote