R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-19-2005, 06:34 PM   #2791
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

rcknight, is your name David and did you grow up in Bellevue?
thomasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 07:18 PM   #2792
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Rubbing spindles?

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg Amendola
Do you mean the camber link or the steering hub? If it's the hub, you can get some thin shims from Kyosho that will move the wheel out farther from the hub. Otherwise, dremel or use a hobby knife to provide clearance in the hub for the wheel to clear.

What width are the tires? 28mm Jaco and Parmas work fine without rubbing.

Another option is to put the tire on a truer and use a shaping stick to remove the first mm or two to make the rim thinner in width.

Hope this helps.
Greg
i used my pro 4 wheels shims they help out alot
tc3 racer sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 07:57 PM   #2793
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to GTIRACER
Default Is the car really better

Ok Ive seen Barry Barker drive a few time with his TC3 and he was so fast. At the Hitec race he was Blazing fast as he was much faster than ever one including Kinwald. 1st turn pile up put him in last and he passed everyone except Kinwald.But he was closing in on him an almost got him. It was exciting to watch...NOW with the TC4 -vs- JRXS and Kinwald has his number and so do most people it seems. Im holding on to the TC3...I havent seen the RC4 prove it self better. I havent seen anyone dominate with it..Im not saying the TC4 is bad..just not better than the TC3,just different...thoughts?
GTIRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 08:36 PM   #2794
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Is the car really better

Quote:
Originally posted by GTIRACER
Ok Ive seen Barry Barker drive a few time with his TC3 and he was so fast. At the Hitec race he was Blazing fast as he was much faster than ever one including Kinwald. 1st turn pile up put him in last and he passed everyone except Kinwald.But he was closing in on him an almost got him. It was exciting to watch...NOW with the TC4 -vs- JRXS and Kinwald has his number and so do most people it seems. Im holding on to the TC3...I havent seen the RC4 prove it self better. I havent seen anyone dominate with it..Im not saying the TC4 is bad..just not better than the TC3,just different...thoughts?
Personally I just think the car is new and still has a few bugs. I am currently running faster and more consistant lap times with the new car than I was with teh old. I dont really think its a matter of if the car is as good, but how long it will take before it starts winning. I havent seen a whole lotta cars immediatly win national and international level races within the first few months it was put out. But who knows..
runnin rc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 08:49 PM   #2795
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ChrisP

Has anyone else stopped to consider that the competition have taken HUGE steps forward in the past couple years
Old 01-19-2005, 08:56 PM   #2796
Tech Addict

^^^ good point. The on-road drivers seem to have really stepped it up alot here recently. They are looking really good!
Old 01-20-2005, 01:27 AM   #2797
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to raving-monkey

Quote:
i haven't got any better results with my tc4 over my xray but but.......my tc4 is much more consistant in the wet outdoors, seems to handle the same all the way through (planted )

and also at don valley (iteres where the british indoor winter series is held, its like a rubbery type track...british fellas will know where i mean) and my tc4 handled so much better around there than my xray had ever done but with a few mistakes and a few problems i didnt beat my result..i dont think....ive had a bad start to the series
raving-monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 03:51 AM   #2798
Tech Adept

Quote:

From a personal point of view I think the TC4 is a better car. It just feels better, both when it comes to handling on the track, and setting up on the pit table.

I have noticed a markable improvement over my TC3 and Robitronic ETCv1 I used to have.

If you want a championship that has been dominated have a look at the HPI Schumacher Carpet Thrashnal series here at Chippenham. There are a few national level guys here and a couple of BRCA champions so the level is quite high. So far a TC4 has won every 19T round with at least 4 TC4's in the top 5. Also Olly J won the 27T round a couple of weeks back with a TC4. Without a doubt the most successful car this year at the championship.

At the end of the day some people will really get on with the car, some wont. I like all the new tunability (is that a word?? ) as it means you can get it to feel just how you like it on the rug.

I think it has a few more months of uncertainty to go while everyone gets their setups nailed and find ways around little bugs they might find (much like the TC3) but give it a while and I think more and more of these will be heading up the big championships around the world.

Andy
Andy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 06:39 AM   #2799
Tech Addict

Default Re: Re: Is the car really better

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy M
From a personal point of view I think the TC4 is a better car. It just feels better, both when it comes to handling on the track, and setting up on the pit table.

I have noticed a markable improvement over my TC3 and Robitronic ETCv1 I used to have.

If you want a championship that has been dominated have a look at the HPI Schumacher Carpet Thrashnal series here at Chippenham. There are a few national level guys here and a couple of BRCA champions so the level is quite high. So far a TC4 has won every 19T round with at least 4 TC4's in the top 5. Also Olly J won the 27T round a couple of weeks back with a TC4. Without a doubt the most successful car this year at the championship.

At the end of the day some people will really get on with the car, some wont. I like all the new tunability (is that a word?? ) as it means you can get it to feel just how you like it on the rug.

I think it has a few more months of uncertainty to go while everyone gets their setups nailed and find ways around little bugs they might find (much like the TC3) but give it a while and I think more and more of these will be heading up the big championships around the world.

Andy
Word!
Old 01-20-2005, 08:33 AM   #2800
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to raving-monkey
Default Re: Re: Is the car really better

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy M

Andy
yeah i agree, russel williams seems to be doing pretty well already with his at the BIWS, and mine is going to be on rails there next BIWS...should be looking at a higher final than my previous rounds.

i can only critisize the TC4 in one way and that is it needs quite a bit of work doing to it before it will actually finish a race (from my experience)

such as steel diffs, the servo saver still has the same problem as the tc3 (comes loose all the time, i have tightened mine down reall far now and put threadlock on it)...the slop in the stering needs sorting out (done by a bit of filling/shimming though)

so thats my only problem from my experience (the work that needs doing) but other than it drives like a dream....its awesome on the track and is great in the pits as andy says....imo its fairly sensitive to changes unlike other cars ive had (like the roll centre changes on tc4 are more noticable then they were on my xray, same with kickup/antidrive etc)
raving-monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 12:30 PM   #2801
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

When a TC3 is really good on carpet-it seems the one thng you can count on (looking at Sobottka's TC3 for example at Champs) is how the rear end rotates. It almost looks like its floating behind the car-sort of along for the ride. The end result is a car that carries tremendoous corner speed because it doesnt slow down in fast corners, and rotates fast in tight corners.

I have found so far on the TC4 that I cannnot get the rear end to float. Its either stuck or snaps loose. And with every set-up so far-it has too much steering at high speed (sweepers) and feels dead on center at low speed corners and it wont cut and certainly wont rotate the rear quickyl around a tight 180.

I fully admit it-it might be me-but I keep talking to more and more TC3 drivers whove driven TC4 and they all say the same thing-they slowed down by as much as 2-laps and car feels dead on center in the steering dept.

But-not giving up yet!!! Gotta keep trying things.
I am NOT bashing-but I am looking for others with this same "feeliing" and what they did to chnage it?

Ray
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 12:40 PM   #2802
Tech Champion

And to answer my own question-I think what most hard core racers did-was go back to the TC3 and i know some took it as an opportunity to try a new car brand.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:54 PM   #2803
Tech Elite

I don't race carpet so I can't comment, but my friend added a third shim under the rear camber studs and changed his rear sway bar and the car came to life in 19T on asphalt. Rotation was awesome. I drove it and there was no question in my mind that it was a TQ car. There was only one person in the A main that was running times as well as I was (running a warpspeed D2) and my car wasn't as good as my friends TC4. He just had a problem with dots
DOTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 01:01 PM   #2804
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

I only run at SoCal which is asphalt and the rear of my car "trails" just like you mentioned. . .which I like.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:02 PM   #2805
Tech Champion

Cool-good to hear!!