R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-01-2005, 08:23 PM   #2281
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default I'm told the Losi caster blocks...

work much better. Stronger and just right on the hinge pin. I'm going to try them.
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 08:37 PM   #2282
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to raving-monkey

whats with all these slop problems?

apart from the rear wishbones and the steering rack thingy i have no slop at all....ok i have a tiny bit but rpm ball cups will soon sort that out...

but i dont have slop in the chubs, steering blocks or front wishbones or the rear hub carriers.....its just weird that al you peeps are going on about slop and i don't have any.

as far as i am away i dont have the new wishbones so i don't think that can be it, im still using the kit chubs (0 deg castor right?)
raving-monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 10:28 PM   #2283
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ok guys ive got a question for you guys that are measuring grams and comparing it to performance. I am having a SERIOUS problem with stripping out the front steering blocks on the top where the ball stud screws in. I stripped 2 today on the TC4 and I stripped them ALL THE TIME on the TC3. I know that aluminum stuff is heavy but I found that CRC makes some that are 2 grams heavier than the stock ones. I know thats alot of weight to add to the front of the car, but I would think it would be valuable to the durability of the car. How much do you guys think that this much weight will affect it on the track?
runnin rc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 10:32 PM   #2284
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Outdrive alternatives

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Nilsen
I seem to be a little too tough on my stock plastic outdrives... I wreck, and they seem to get weakened and then my cvd bones will chronically pop out until I replace 'em.

I'm racing stock... so weight is a factor... what are the next-lightest, but more durable outdrives available?

IRS has aluminum ones... AE has lightened steel... anyone know how heavy these are and which are better?

thanks,

bob
I running the AE lightened steel ones up front because they were the only ones anyone at my track had problems with popping. I didnt really notice a difference due to the weight, but I havent popped one since. But if you do get them you may want to get the diff rebuild kit with it becase the stock diffs go together a little differently.
runnin rc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 12:16 AM   #2285
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by runnin rc10
SERIOUS problem with stripping out the front steering blocks.......... I know that aluminum stuff is heavy........... alot of weight to add to the front of the car. How much do you guys think that this much weight will affect it on the track?
Typically more weight in the chassis towards one end or the other would give that end more traction but you're not adding weight to the chassis. What you will be adding is called "unsprung weight". This is weight that is not supported by the suspension but is directly transmitted through the tire to the ground. Now if you run on an incredibly smooth track you will not see a lot of difference but if the surface is bumpy it will make your car loose traction in bumpy corners more easily and cause your cars suspension to be less able to handle bumps. It may even make your car "twitchy" in the straights.
Poppa Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 12:41 AM   #2286
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default TC4 Lightened Steel Outdrives

What is the correct rebuild part number? Is it 3926 or is it the same as for the NTC3?

Later,
CRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 12:46 AM   #2287
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by runnin rc10
Ok guys ive got a question for you guys that are measuring grams and comparing it to performance. I am having a SERIOUS problem with stripping out the front steering blocks on the top where the ball stud screws in. I stripped 2 today on the TC4 and I stripped them ALL THE TIME on the TC3. I know that aluminum stuff is heavy but I found that CRC makes some that are 2 grams heavier than the stock ones. I know thats alot of weight to add to the front of the car, but I would think it would be valuable to the durability of the car. How much do you guys think that this much weight will affect it on the track?
well it dpends how much your car currently weighs.

i try not to get my car above 1510 (if its bang on 1500, which my xray has been i will put another 5 on just to be on the safe side)...currently my tc4 is about 1480ish (totally stock) with no weights added, now if i was having problems with the steering blocks then i would have room to add alluminium steering blocks.

whats your cars weight limit over there?

if you have about 10 grams to spare then id stick them on but it may create a little bit of lag in the steering.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:48 AM   #2288
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to RoNTC3 Send a message via Yahoo to RoNTC3

Hey guys, I finally got my TC4 together and mounted my jaco 28mm foams on it. The front tires rub on the steering block and ball cup. What is the popular fix? 26mm tires or dremel the block and ball cup?
Old 01-02-2005, 12:55 AM   #2289
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by RoNTC3
Hey guys, I finally got my TC4 together and mounted my jaco 28mm foams on it. The front tires rub on the steering block and ball cup. What is the popular fix? 26mm tires or dremel the block and ball cup?
28mm are fine, just space out the wheel. Or you can use the aluminum hex hubs they space it out just fine.

Later,
CRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 01:02 AM   #2290
Tech Master

the stock hexes seem pretty wire anyway, depending on how much its rubbing by just put a couple of shims before the hex, or by some offset wheels
Old 01-02-2005, 01:23 AM   #2291
Tech Elite

Default runnrc10....

you shouldn't be stripping the front knuckles. Don't keep turning the hex, man! Just tighten it down until it's snug. No more, no less.

If you have to remove the ball stud and screw it back in, make sure you back turn the ballstud counterclock wise a few turns so that the threads drop down, then screw it back in snug. You should do this with all the screws that go into plastic or carbon molded parts. Your parts will last much longer between rebuilds.

Last edited by RCknight; 01-02-2005 at 01:34 AM.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:28 AM   #2292
Tech Elite

Default raving-monkey....

the car is sloppy even with shimming it up. I don't have any of the new arms, so I'm not sure how much it will improve it.

Last edited by RCknight; 01-02-2005 at 01:52 AM.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:49 AM   #2293
Tech Elite

Default Rayhung....

what is that gizmo on top of your BMI TC4 upper deck? Just wondering.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:54 AM   #2294
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Diff outdrives

Did someone tried the Square Delrin outdrives for the TC3?

utieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 04:01 AM   #2295
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Diff outdrives

Quote:
Originally posted by utieh
Did someone tried the Square Delrin outdrives for the TC3?

Yes, I tried it. It's a lot better than the AE composite outdrives but it's quite expensive.
Nella-Nobrob is offline   Reply With Quote