R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-21-2004, 09:58 PM   #1696
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to tc3Guru Send a message via AIM to tc3Guru

guys is BMI going to release a chassis anytime soon?
tc3Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 11:22 PM   #1697
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by 51
Eric,

You can get a blank setup sheet at the location below:

http://ebiz.netopia.com/competitionx/blanksetupsheets2/

I'll work on getting the setup I ran at SRS posted on AEs site.
Thanks.
Just got it tonight, the downloads haven't been working but I guess somtime this wkend. he got it fixed.

E
EricF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 04:54 AM   #1698
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to Javen13 Send a message via Yahoo to Javen13

hi i had a problem with my car on sunday i broke the head off of one of the diff bolts so i replaced it and re-lubed the diff and put it back together but when i went out to the track the car spun out to ther left but no the right. checked the tweak on the car and it was fine. any suggestions on what the problem could be? thanks in advance

-justin
Javen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 08:16 AM   #1699
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You guys sound like a bunch of hacks! There is nothing wrong with the plastic outdrives. I ran my front diff locked up (like a spool). Even if I tapped a board it still held together even tho there was no 'give' in the drivetrain.

I did rip a rear arm out this past weekend. That was just my bad driving. Don't blame the car, blame the defective nut behind the wheel.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:34 AM   #1700
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Agreed there...I busted one outdrive because of bad driving (not going to say by who though The second one was because my mechanic (again not going to say who) didn't notice the steering knuckle was broken as well...that allowed the CVD to pull out of the outdrive and chew up another.

Sounds like I need a new driver and mechanic eh?

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 11:41 AM   #1701
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Speedie
I have replaced dozens of the plastic outdrives on my TC3. The outdrives are designed poorley and the pins barely catch the end of the outdrive slot. Here is my fix to help this. I cut the pin cussions off of some IRS outdrives and used Schumachers patented blades. They are a perfect fit and I think this will solve the problem. And allow the lighter parts to be used and still be durable.
No one here stocks schumacher, do you have a part number. I like the way that looks. Reminds me of my xray(hmm...I miss my xray)
Formula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 11:46 AM   #1702
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by dr_hfuhuhurr

Sounds like I need a new driver and mechanic eh?
Same here!
Old 11-22-2004, 12:01 PM   #1703
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Don't hit anything and it won't break?

Come on! The car is weak in design. Weak arms, and wheel hubs. Our track is small, tight, low speed and even the good driver's still manage to break things. It's inevitable with so many cars on a small track. The car could be stronger for good and new people in the hobby. It's not like making the arms/ wheel hubs stronger is going to slow the car down any and make it less competitive.
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 12:23 PM   #1704
Tech Adept

RCKnight

No offence but I think you sadly mistaken. The car is not weak at all. I think you will find that any competitive car will break if you slam it into a wall to hard.

I have stacked my TC4 pretty hard on a couple of occasions and have yet to break anything. Similarly with the rest of the components, so far no spares what so ever have been needed.

Please don't flame a car's design with inaccurate speculative information.

AE, Yokomo, XRay, HPI and every other manufacturer weigh up strength against performance all the time to find a compromise that works for their cars.

Personally my AE cars have broken less than a lot of others I've seen out there in the hands of novices, intermediate and expert drivers.

I wish people would stop smashing their cars into hard objects and then blaming the man behind the drawing board for it breaking.

At the end of the day you hit something hard and fast your likely to snap something. Now and again you will be unlucky with a light tap and something will break (even though this is often down to hairline fracture or damage caused from previous high speed impacts) but this can happen with any car.

Rant over

Andy
Andy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 12:33 PM   #1705
Tech Master

Thank you, Andy!
Old 11-22-2004, 01:02 PM   #1706
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

just from engineering point -

increasing the amount of material on the arms WILL make the car less responsive and will slow down the car.

Why?

Simple - you're increasing the unsprung weight - this is weight that is below the suspension. This is ALWAYS bad weight and all car makers try to get rid of unsprung weight.

the only way to "make the arms stronger" is to increase the amount of material on the arms. They're already triangulated and gussetted about as much as they can. The only thing that they really could do would be to make solid arms (like the OLD Yok ones) which would make them very heavy (those things were HEAVY).

A lot of it has to do with the angle of hit.

Plus the amount of cars on the track. If you go out on a small track with 12 other cars, you're asking for a break and it's not the car's fault.

I won't take my 10L2 out on the track with more than 7 or 8 other cars (for practice) even though I could easily take on the sedans with it and drive away.

I agree with Andy M heh heh.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:40 PM   #1707
Tech Rookie

Default Frustrating

I drive a trf415. It seldom breaks, but when it does I do not blame Mr Tamiya. I would like to blame someone other than myself, but I know who ran it into the wall. It is amazing that they do not break more often considering how hard we hit. I have found it is not the solid hit, but the light tap that causes the most damage. I assume the light tap was the straw breaking the camels back. I could see if i went out and never hit anything and tap a car and the thing explodes. That is not the case. Be thankful you are not in the car.
rccrazy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 01:42 PM   #1708
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer
Default Re: Frustrating

Quote:
Originally posted by rccrazy68
Be thankful you are not in the car.
You know, it might just be fun! To do that many barrel rolls or to go flying through the air. . .

On second hand, you're right. I AM thankful I'm not in my car. . .
Old 11-22-2004, 01:46 PM   #1709
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Blaming someone else for your mistakes is one of those fundamental American rights...right along with complaining.

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 01:51 PM   #1710
Tech Adept

come on, at least give us british the complaining one! you can have the blaming other though
Andy M is offline   Reply With Quote