R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree19Likes

Old 03-11-2017, 01:48 PM   #15121
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The TC4 tub chassis cars are a good entry level vehicle because they are very durable. The only real weak point on the TC4 is the steering rack. If you have been racing/bashing this car for a while, you've probably broken your steering rack in half. This is caused because the stock foam bumper doesn't extend all the way to the wheels on the car. If you are running wide tires (VTA) it is easy to catch the tire on a barrier and transfer all the energy which breaks the rack. The easiest solution to this problem is to buy a wider foam bumper.

A good option for a replacement foam bumper is the Parma Universal Ultimate bumper (Parma part #PAR8052). Here is a link on A-main and they are in stock...

https://www.amainhobbies.com/parma-p...par8052/p33910

If you didn't click on the link, basically it is a light dense rectangular block of foam. There are probably other manufacturers that sell a similar universal bumper. Any bumper that extends all the way to at least the middle of the wheels would be a good option. Obviously if you buy a rectangular block of foam, you will have to trim it to fit your car/body.

If you search youtube, you can find plenty of videos on how to easily trim foam rubber pieces using either an electric carving knife or a hot wire cutter.

---------

Another bumper option for the front of a TC4 is to use the hard plastic wide bumper made for the Nitro TC3 (NTC3), which is only $5 USD. Here is a link on Team Associated website to the wide bumper AE#2232 ...

https://www.teamassociated.com/parts...h_rubber_pads/

If you clicked that link, you will have noticed that there is a hard bumper and 3 rubber grommets. So how does this mount to a TC4?

Below I've attached a few photos of a similar NTC3 bumper made by RPM that I'm using on one of my TC4's. You will see that the grommets on the TC4 bumper go on the posts where the stock foam bumper mounts. To use a NTC3 bumper on a TC4, you will also have to modify/trim down the stock foam bumper. This is a decent trade-off for having a very wide bumper that should protect the front end components from any spirited driving someone might want to do.

Note: I believe the RPM NTC3 plastic bumper is discontinued. However, I've been able to find several available on eBay when I searched today (3/11/2017). Be advised that the RPM NTC3 bumper DOES NOT come with the rubber grommets/bushings and the only way to buy them is to purchase an AE NTC3 bumper. However, I'm sure that you could find something at a big box hardware store to use as a substitute.

Hope this info helps.

Attached Thumbnails
Team Associated TC4-rpm-ntc3-bumper-mounted-tc4.jpg   Team Associated TC4-rpm-ntc3-bumper-stock-rubber-bushings.jpg  
THEBIGBULL and RotorTruck like this.

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 03-12-2017 at 08:51 PM.
IndyRC_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 02:30 PM   #15122
Tech Master

One final post about TC4 bumpers...

In the picture below you will see 3 different TC4 bumper configurations.

170mm wide - Left (Team TC4 w/TC3 shaft) - Parma Ultimate TC4 bumper (discontinued)
140mm wide - Center (FT TC4) - Stock TC4 foam bumper
170mm wide - Right (Club Racer TC4) - RPM NTC3 plastic bumper with hard TC4 foam bumper (140mm)

As you can see on the middle chassis, the stock foam bumper doesn't even extend to the edge of the a-arms. The other issue is that it is a softer foam, so it will deflect more in a head on collision.

Hope this info helps

Attached Thumbnails
Team Associated TC4-tc4-bumpers.jpg  
Old 03-14-2017, 11:16 AM   #15123
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You could also use a Associated 2232 Wide Front Bumper With Rubber Pads NTC3

with a normal TC3 foam bumper 3852

And that RPM wide bumper sure is sweet.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:26 AM   #15124
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So speaking of all those shims. I was looking at where the links are mounted plus what AE has as the default set up sheets and there seems to be a shim discrepency. Does anyone know what the default number of ships are under the ball stud for the front and rear turnbuckle links and everything else. This is for a Club racer, tub chassis.
djgrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:48 AM   #15125
Tech Master

The following setup sheet if you open it says it is the stock setup for the TC4 Club Racer.

https://www.teamassociated.com/pdf/c...edit_2007b.pdf

It shows that there are 2 ball stud washers under the inner camber link ball studs.

----------

I forgot to mention in my TC4 bumper posts that a NTC3 foam bumper (AE #2227) should also work on the TC4 since they share the same upper plastic bumper mount (3 post).

Here is a link on their website for the bumper. It lists for $5 USD.

https://www.teamassociated.com/parts...7-foam_bumper/

Hope this info helps

----------

(EDIT)

I recently tore down a TC4 to clean/rebuild it and make sure the suspension/drive line was free. I took my time and made sure everything was right, but I was working late into the night. This morning I looked over the car and realized I used 2 left side camber blocks on the car...DOH! Not sure the car would have handled well with positive camber on the right front.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:40 AM   #15126
Tech Addict

I'm looking to upgrade my tc4 rtr. Will the tc6 shocks fit ? My plastic ones leak oil really badly.

Also, do the tc6.2 ucjs fit or will I need to use tc6.2 caster blocks ?

I've been racing for quite a few years and got the tc4 which I'd bought for racing outside, and am using it indoors on carpet. So far I'm impressed with the handling and how quick it rotates through tight corners & chicanes.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:44 AM   #15127
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32819toon View Post
I'm looking to upgrade my tc4 rtr. Will the tc6 shocks fit ? My plastic ones leak oil really badly.
I recently replaced my shocks with these TRF shocks.

Tamiya, 55mm TRF Special Damper Set (Hard BK) ,(42102)

They are the best shocks Ive ever built. had no problems building them. the rebound was equal across all 4 shocks first time around and my old shock springs fit perfectly.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:10 PM   #15128
Tech Master

Quote:

Also, do the tc6.2 ucjs fit or will I need to use tc6.2 caster blocks ?

I've been racing for quite a few years and got the tc4 which I'd bought for racing outside, and am using it indoors on carpet. So far I'm impressed with the handling and how quick it rotates through tight corners & chicanes.
The DCV axles won't fit the TC4 without at least replacing the front knuckles and bearings. There have been a few posts on this subject in this thread, try having a look back.
gigaplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:06 PM   #15129
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
The DCV axles won't fit the TC4 without at least replacing the front knuckles and bearings. There have been a few posts on this subject in this thread, try having a look back.
I have created new front hubs and hub carriers (replaced C-Hub) for the TC4 to use the TC6 DCV. I have had some good luck during my testing so far with the ones I made at home. I am just waiting for my final prototypes to arrive so that I can be sure the bearings fit snug before making them available for sale.

check out these links for details. I can post pictures tonight of my DC4 with my new hubs and hub carriers

https://www.shapeways.com/product/V5...dcv-conversion

https://www.shapeways.com/product/SL...dcv-conversion
THEBIGBULL and Aaron P like this.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:51 PM   #15130
Tech Apprentice

okay, here we go with the pictures of my steering upgrade. This upgrade allows a tighter turning circle using the TC6/7 DCV and my custom designed steering hubs.

Final product will be better quality printed arms due to laser printing from Shapeways. The hub carriers in the picture was printed by shapeways. I will post a picture when the arms arrive and a couple of weeks.

The 3D printer parts are quite strong and durable
Attached Thumbnails
Team Associated TC4-steering21.jpg   Team Associated TC4-steering22.jpg   Team Associated TC4-steering23.jpg  
Old 03-20-2017, 01:39 PM   #15131
Tech Addict

Thanks gigaplex & pjracer.
PJ- are you planning on taking orders ?

Will tc4 dcjs fit ?
Old 03-20-2017, 03:30 PM   #15132
Tech Apprentice

Quote:

Will tc4 dcjs fit ?
These will be available for order in the next few weeks. They are designed to use the TC6/TC7 DCV's with a spool.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:02 PM   #15133
Tech Master

Quote:

Will tc4 dcjs fit ?
Which TC4 DCJs are you referring to?
gigaplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:15 AM   #15134
Tech Addict

Sorry, I meant tc6 dcjs
Old 03-21-2017, 12:37 PM   #15135
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

With a 55 tooth spur can a 3.2 to 3.8 fdr fit in the FT TC4?

Another words, what is the best spur to use for this fdr range. I put a 60 tooth spur and a 45 tooth pinion, but it was a royal pain to install.
SouthFloridaApp is offline   Reply With Quote