R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Why does no one Mount Tires anymore? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/490811-why-does-no-one-mount-tires-anymore.html)

oXYnary 03-10-2011 11:44 AM

Why does no one Mount Tires anymore?

Simple question.

wtcc 03-10-2011 12:01 PM

In most of the german race series only premounted tires are allowed. And I myself think it is OK if "someone" else does it for me ;) The price is OK, too.
Another reason is that I never had to deal with wheels, inserts and tires to find the best combination...

Foxxrocket 03-10-2011 12:57 PM

I've been gluing tamiya tires like crazy. 16 tires in total, and now I can see why no one does it anymore.

latenight 03-10-2011 01:40 PM

Path of least resistance.

It's like the art of painting r/c bodies. Why take the time to learn something useful if you can go buy a crap wrap instead.

Advil 03-10-2011 01:48 PM

As a couple of my Asian friends would say:

"Lazy Americans"

sheesh...

robk 03-10-2011 02:04 PM

No, it has nothing to do with laziness.

Premounts saved rubber tire racing. Before you had to select any number of rim stiffnesses, the insert profile and softness, the size of the vent hole, how many, if any wraps of tape to change the airgap in the tire, and then the tire itself. Now the race or track specifies what tires it allows, and you buy them ready to go.

The above shenanigans is what brought foam tires into the forefront, because it was actually cheaper to run foam due to the myriad combinations you needed to have on hand to be ready. Sorry about your luck if you didn't have the "right" insert, rim or tire.

snoopyrc 03-10-2011 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by robk (Post 8780663)
No, it has nothing to do with laziness.

Premounts saved rubber tire racing. Before you had to select any number of rim stiffnesses, the insert profile and softness, the size of the vent hole, how many, if any wraps of tape to change the airgap in the tire, and then the tire itself. Now the race or track specifies what tires it allows, and you buy them ready to go.

The above shenanigans is what brought foam tires into the forefront, because it was actually cheaper to run foam due to the myriad combinations you needed to have on hand to be ready. Sorry about your luck if you didn't have the "right" insert, rim or tire.

Thats enough to make me say "Hell with it." VTA is pretty easy. Its all there just put it together. But having to choose the best of all that stuff. Its hard enough just trying to drive the right line.

skypilot 03-10-2011 05:47 PM

actually it wasn't all that much work. once the anal retentive guys were done with all that testing, I just used the final product, and yea, I'm a lazy american:lol:

housey 03-10-2011 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by oXYnary (Post 8780040)
Simple question.

Simple answer, cos' it sucks massively.

Pre-glued tires, brushless, LIPO, 2.4. These have all made RC much more fun and cheaper. Totally agree with robk.

I remember running nationals 5 years ago and it was just a hassle tbh. Now its a pleasure.

Shawn68z 03-10-2011 06:29 PM

I still mount my tires, because as no body else wanted the non mounted tires, I bought them all up for $4 PER SET. Once I add in the inserts, and rims, I have a full set of 4 for $10. I have bought enough for 3-4 years worth of racing. (in compounds from 20 to 36)

I also mount my own foam 1/12 and 1/10 pan car wheels. I buy the foam for $4-5 per pair, rather then paying $15-$20 per pair.

Shawn.

SpeedySST 03-11-2011 03:29 AM

I mount my own because I can use my Speedmind grey BBS wheels instead of the boring white or black premount stuff. I dont really worry about air gap, vent hole issues. Tire, insert, wheel, done. Plus it adds extra excitement when I screw up and half the tire comes off in the middle of a heat!

tc3team 03-11-2011 03:34 AM

convenience...

Foam and rubber come in any compound, premounted these days.

Unless you like a certain set of wheels, its not worth the hassle imo.

Thin glue, it can be a nightmare sometimes....

hello fingers! :flaming: :lol:

jorgesimes 03-11-2011 04:06 AM

For me is mainly because of the races i get in are mostly with premounted tires, and i think that premounted tires are an assurance of fair race.

But i can remember those days that it looks that i have too much fingers in my hand LOL