Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to Revive On-Road Racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 11:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You don't have that problem In 200mm tc nitro onroad. It's alive and doing well!!! It about driving skills and runtime not who has the fastest speed control profile this month. You don't have to change your equpiment every 2 months either. The oldest chassis in the class tqed and came in 2nd place at the nitro touring worlds last year.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CHRIS CHAVEZ
What he said!
Yessir. 12th is fun. WGT is cool too.

Lots of ideas in this thread, I think one of the main things, no matter what class you prefer, is to welcome new people and outsiders in. I have seen the "local hotshot" types act fairly off standish towards newbs and people that just want to check it out. Personally I always enjoyed talking to people that didn't know anything about it, and have tried to help the guys that don't know what they are doing... usually it's the "basher" types that picked up a flyer for the race program and figured they'd give it a go. You can see just how overwhelmed they are with it all. you can either take the "out of my way, bud" attitude or you can make an effort to give them a hand. People like this, they can either walk away from having an unfun day, never to return, or they may decide that it was a good crowd and work to become a part of it. We all started somewhere. Some people take it so serious, I just can't see what the point is. Hobby shop employees and racers that show a pleasant attitude towards new faces will go a long way towards reviving a race program.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HoboShop
You don't have that problem In 200mm tc nitro onroad. It's alive and doing well!!! It about driving skills and runtime not who has the fastest speed control profile this month. You don't have to change your equpiment every 2 months either. The oldest chassis in the class tqed and came in 2nd place at the nitro touring worlds last year.
Sorry, but that's some bad information there.
Many racers have been using the same Tekin RS with free software updates, for a few years now, with the same BL motors. I hear the Duo1 and "N" motors are still going strong.
Batteries need replacing every so often, but that's a given.

Nitro is cool, but let's be fair to the electro racers too.

I run 12th scale, so won't comment on the overpriced TC chassis...
Old 03-15-2011, 01:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

On road is fun but as far as reviving it...look at what has caused its decline...top level racing, and our desire as the racer to go faster!

Touring cars started as a lower cost fun class...now cars are approx $4-500, set up station, tire truer, etc...a guy with a car and radio doesn't stand a chance against the guy who wants to buy all the extras.

A class like VTA with less or no need for some of the extras should help....kinda like off road and short course, created to be a fun class...evolving into a race class. When that happens something else will pop up for the less than cut throat racers.

Tracks have to recognize the need for a lower cost "fun classes" and encourage them. Our local track has a Tamiya mini class...thinking about a VTA class next season. Some of us just have no desire to race in the larger, faster, costlier taxicab classes.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Pick 4 cities in the US and split all the country's on-road racers between them? I wonder how many people would move if they could have club races like IIC twice a week?
funny...i've actually moved in the past just to be closer to a track.

make it fun for the new guys and just plain help them out.
if you got extra stuff laying around...that you won't be using...just pass it down....help the new guy start out.

practice tires...give it to the new guy..
practice batts... sell dirt cheap..or give it away.
Setup help....Please just give it freely. this is probably the most important give away.
etc.etc.etc...
Old 03-15-2011, 07:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Spend more time at track and less time on RCTech.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by olhipster1
funny...i've actually moved in the past just to be closer to a track.

make it fun for the new guys and just plain help them out.
if you got extra stuff laying around...that you won't be using...just pass it down....help the new guy start out.

practice tires...give it to the new guy..
practice batts... sell dirt cheap..or give it away.
Setup help....Please just give it freely. this is probably the most important give away.
etc.etc.etc...
Yessir. Good Karma goes a long way. Make it fun, that is key.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:08 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nf_ekt
Yessir. Good Karma goes a long way. Make it fun, that is key.
X2

I bought a HUDY setup station and three local races have use them and bought me lunch or a race at are LHS
Old 03-18-2011, 06:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I bought and integy setup station and tweak board a few years ago....and I lend it to anyone that needs it.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Tech Rookie

I love watching car raising. It's my past time.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:36 AM
Tech Rookie

This is why on-road racing has died.

I don't know what a "setup station" is - but I'm pretty sure it is something that is really expensive - that keeps new guys from racing. Even though anecdotal posts say "pros" share their setup station.

I've read every post on this thread and I'm still no closer to reviving on-road racing.

If I'm going to revive on-road racing it has to be, cheap, fair and fun.

What I'm hearing is the same-old expensive, unfair and not-fun formulas that killed on-road racing in the first place.

Let me reiterate; the stock class costs $200, the races are very long so the newbies get a lot of stick time and power is not the defining factor.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I posted this on the "Will onroad return to the north" thread but I thought it would be good to post here as well. I got into on-road last year and absolutely love it but I can see how people would be less interested than off-road especially at a club with "serious" racing.

On-Road is having a resurgence in Ontario, Canada which is fantastic. I am starting a new on-road club that will open in May so I've been focusing on a few key areas to make the club a success and revive the RC scene in my area.

*Having a forum that promotes discussion within the local RC community and that will be UPDATED with race results, club information, general RC chat, pictures, videos etc.

*Actively helping people make informed choices on RC products and suggest ways to save $$$. Developing a good relationship with your LHS so they can help their customers make good choices if they plan on racing at the club. No good having your LHS stock only basher nitro vehicles when you have an indoor carpet on-road club down the street.

*BUDGET Classes. A few guys that will be racing at my club have the Traxxas VXL Rally and I have been promoting this car for the MINI class. The price is fantastic. For those with a bigger budget, World GT & Stock 1/12. Having Short Course with mandatory foams will bring in a bunch of off-roaders. The interest in SC fantastic for my club, I think it's going to be a great class. I am also looking into having some drifting as it's very popular with the parking lot bashers around my area. I also plan on having lots of practice days. A few newbs have already expressed concern that they don't have good enough driving skills to race so the first 4 club meets will be for practice, no racing. And after that maybe every fourth meet have a practice only.

*ADVERTISING. Ads in the local paper, Kijiji, multiple RC forums, & FLYERS everywhere you can think of. I am trying to get some coverage by the local TV station to get us on the news. I don't think clubs utilize the advertising resources available to them enough. Relying on people to find the club themselves is going to seriously limit the amount of new people coming to races and getting involved in RC cars in general. I can think of a few clubs that have websites that haven't been updated in 3+ years and forums that not even the organizers attempt to keep active.

*Year-Round Racing. To keep RC racing thriving in the northern part of North America, there needs to be year-round racing available. Motor City Raceway opened up an indoor carpet off-road and an indoor carpet on-road club this winter and entries were over 60 people within a month!! My club will have two race nights a month, year round, indoors & on carpet. This should allow for the 1/12 & World GT classes to become very popular and keep people interested in the hobby for much longer without costing them thousands of dollars.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default RC experience with rentals

Has anyone tried offering rentals or demos? We'd like to start an outdoor club in a local parking lot of a church. Hoping to be able to set up a regular schedule.

Our theory is that developing an experience where people can see and try out various classes and price point vehicles would be more engaging. Many have posted on the idea of helping people make good decisions, and that would be one of the aspects of the event. Mostly, those of us who are not going to race competitively won't put in the time to tweak and maintenance a high performance vehicle, so the majority of our purchases will be low maintenance RTR kits that we can pull out of the box and race for fun.

So, again, the main question of this post is to see if others have had any success with offering demos whether or not there is a rental fee?
Old 07-16-2011, 10:05 PM
Tech Master

I have seen rental programs but only with off road cars. Competition Hobbies in Tucson Az. rents SC trucks and has a birthday party program available. They have also run a program using Losi Slider type cars. Check their website. maybe drop Mike an e-mail.

http://competitionhobbies.net/
Old 07-17-2011, 08:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

On-road is slowing down because of the character of the racers nowadays: everybody assumes that having the best at the beginning is a must . When they run out of cash with no results in sight, that's when they blame everything else but themselves . You have to really love rc from very early on , and be extremely patient while learning ! You can't use rc for fame or glory......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.