Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
How to Revive On-Road Racing >

How to Revive On-Road Racing

How to Revive On-Road Racing

Old 03-10-2011, 10:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DuckStang
Face it, nobody wants to go to the track with a car and controller, you need more than that.

Cost, attitudes of the so called "veterans" and the fact that 90 percent of the tc cars look the same is what is keeping people away.

Sorry for the rant, I call them as I see them. I call them as a person who just started and unbiased.
Its a good rant. There are things that we cant see from being in this too long.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:22 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My LHS races a class if there's 3 or more racers.

List of the classes we run are:

18R stock or mod which ends up with both running in the same heat and main (about 3-6 stock and 3-4 mod show up)

Cup Racer 17.5T and Minis run also in the same heats and mains (about 7-9 Cup Racers and 3-6 Minis)

TC 17.5T and TC 17.5T boosted each have there own heats and mains (about 6-7 non and 7-8 boosted TC's show up)

GT8's normally there's 3-5 only but we see a potentse of seen this class getting bigger.

And then there the dominating SC trucks

SC Stock
SC 2wd mod
4x4 open
8th scale SC

And all on pavement parking lot. Here's a picture of the size of the track wee run at. The night before or early in the morning some one decide to savatoge are racing by pooring 90wt gear oil on 3/4 of the track but it didnt stop us from having fun. We had a flew people leave cause of the smell of the oil but we still had 55 entries.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

WTF!! Some people are F'ed Up. Pouring oil over the parking lot to sabotage your race day? What a wanker. I could see if you were running nitro cars all day close to suburbia but electric in what appears to be an industrial area? come on
Old 03-11-2011, 01:51 AM
Tech Champion

There are so many varibles that decide if a newcomer races on road or not...

1) cost.

VTA or Tamiya M-chassis are two cheap classes to enter. or a run what you have class. ANYTHING to get the newcomer to come back is a starting point...

Three of the same car to make a heat (as suggested) is also a good idea

Make it a sensible speed too. 21.5 or 25.5 is more than enough motor for most newcomers. People give up too easily when they have too much motor and keep breaking their car.

why do you think the tamiya silver can was such a popular motor in its day? It was cheap and slow enough to get to grips with.

2) ability.

This is where the club needs to side along the newcomer and make sure their time of racing goes as smooth as possible. Watch them race and school them as best as you can...

3) actually finding out about rc in the first place.

Advertising.... in the LHS, maybe even an advert in a shopping mall?

Don't include too much detail, but DO enclose a phone number or point of contact.

If you get people asking what is raced, maybe you stand a better chance of them buying the right equipment first time around. rather than turn up with a car that isnt supported.

4) loan cars. Not always viable, but an option to get someone started without the inital cost of buying all the equipment to find out that they don't like r/c.

5) Rules.

make them as simple as possible, the more rules there are the more formal things sound. Newcomers do not want to get pinned down with what they can or can't do, they are entering r/c and still learning technical terms...

I had a newcomers father ask me lots of questions about what stuff to buy his 8 year old son. There is a big mountain to climb looking after an r/c car and knowing what each part does, you do not want to be worrying if your car is "legal" or not as well.

This comes back to the club integrating with the newcomer as much as they can.

6) the track. Maybe a smaller track is less daunting to the newcomer, less technical.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:51 AM
Tech Elite

If I can make a brief contribution...

If any on-road you mean "touring", then it has two main problems now.

Major problem is that he cost of access to the class is too high (new chassis are all £350+ in UK money, usable brushless setups are still £150-odd from UK shops).

Secondary problem is that open-timing ESCs are too complicated.

There are two obvious solutions to this.

One is to encourage lower-cost classes, the other is to encourage technical simplicity.

At my local club, Mini class has gone from zero at the start of the autumn to 50/50 with touring - and a lot of the racers are new faces. What I hear from other clubs is that Mardaves (another low-cost chassis) are very popular. Another club has gone back to sealed-can motors and Tamiya ESCs for it's club touring championship.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:29 AM
Tech Addict

The answer is simple.
1. Quit being so serious.
2. Make sure you have a novice class
3 Have a low dollar spec class.
4 Outlaw bad attitudes.
5 Most important get back to just having fun!

These simple little rule have made the So Fl Dirt Oval Club a success. 40 to 50 racers every saturday. Good luck folks!
Old 03-11-2011, 05:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Welcome to the discussion vwdemon. Noticed you were from the dirt oval group in Boca. Our club , Brevard Electric Auto Racers is up here in Palm Bay and doing exactly what you just said. Although not as big as you folks yet, we're getting there by offering 4 classes with M-Chassis can motor, VTA 25.5, GT 21.5 and TC 17.5. Mini is just starting but VTA is doing quite well with most of our newer drivers starting there.
Everything you mentioned is a workable start to the problem. Say Hi to our buddy PJ. We miss having him in on road.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We have tried many things at the gate to revive on road. We haven't had much success but if you like to help keep us around to keep the dream alive please considering attending our season ending Grand Finale race!!

http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-f...-2-3-gate.html

The 2011
Grand Finale at the Gate
April 2-3, 2011

Location/Info: THE GATE - Laurel Square Shopping Center 1733 Pearl Road., Brunswick, Ohio 44212. Entries are non-transferable and non-refundable after March 26, 2011. Entry limit is 250 Entries/100 RACERS. Entries and pit spaces reserved upon payment ONLY and on a first-paid basis. ROAR rules apply. ROAR approved LiPo batteries only and must be charged in a LiPo sack. Personal transponders are mandatory. . Participants in the Rubber TC classes must use Solaris Medium (Medium Insert), Sweep “Real Blue” QTS32 or Jaco Blue Premount Tires only; limited to 3 sets. Participants in the WorldGT class may use BSR Team Purple Spec, Jaco Lilac Spec, or CRC 2300/2302 Spec Tires only. Non-wintergreen traction compound only. AB Charles Hobby Shop will be on site with parts, tires, traction compound, and supplies.

Classes: Winners of a major event since 2005 cannot participate in Stock 1/12 or Stock Rubber TC. Details for each class are as follows:

Stock 1/12 & Stock Rubber TC: Any ROAR Approved 17.5 Brushless; ROAR spec speedo
Stock Rubber TC; Any ROAR Approved 17.5 Brushless, ROAR Spec ESC
13.5 1/12, Mod 1/12, 17.5 Rubber TC, Mod Rubber TC: ROAR Approved Brushless, Open ESC
World GT: Any ROAR Approved 13.5 Brushless, Open ESC
Vintage Trans-Am: 2010 rules at www.usvintagetransam.com (Exceptions: Driver Figure not required, ROAR Spec ESC)

Awards: Cash payouts for A-Mains 1st through 3rd and TQ’s all classes.

Hotels: Quality Inn (330) 273-1112 Super 8 (440) 238-1097
1435 S. Carpenter Rd. Brunswick, OH 15385 Royalton Rd. Strongsville, OH

Schedule:

Saturday 3/2 7:00am to 2pm: Open/Controlled Practice
2:30pm to 5:00pm: Controlled Practice by Heat
5:30 to Finish: 2 rounds of qualifying

Sunday 10/24 7:00am to 8:00am Open Practice
8:00am to 1:00pm: 2 Round of Qualifying
1:30 pm to Finish: Mains

Information: For more information, contact Paul Ciccarello at [email protected].
Full Details/Requirements/Rules will be posted at: www.clevelandcarpetracing.com
Old 03-11-2011, 07:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

[QUOTE=vwdemon34;8784117]The answer is simple.
4 Outlaw bad attitudes.
/[qoute]

YES, YES,YES, YES...
please remember to be nice to anyone who wants to start out with us....
any new racers is a great thing.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:16 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by vwdemon34
The answer is simple.
4 Outlaw bad attitudes.

These simple little rule have made the So Fl Dirt Oval Club a success. 40 to 50 racers every saturday. Good luck folks!
Great post.

I also think that if the point is to revive touring then you should take a tcs approach. I dont mean specifically only running Tamiya but I do mean to have the lower end classes with only plastic chassis, and Carbon plate rides in the upper end.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Great post.

I also think that if the point is to revive touring then you should take a tcs approach. I dont mean specifically only running Tamiya but I do mean to have the lower end classes with only plastic chassis, and Carbon plate rides in the upper end.
True that, TT-01 and have FUN.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:39 AM
Tech Champion

It would be a lot of work to sort through what chassis go into a basic class and which ones go higher, but as a rule of thumb, plastic and low power VS CF and fast.

IDK it already sounds like a local club should just promote VTA.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Why do all these conversations turn into a sales pitch for vta ,it is not the answer ,our club tried making vta our introductory class and we had a surge of entrants for a couple of weeks and then they all quit cause some peoples cars where set up better and they didnt want to work on their set up. Vta is not the answer.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:53 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by 303slowdown
Why do all these conversations turn into a sales pitch for vta ,it is not the answer ,our club tried making vta our introductory class and we had a surge of entrants for a couple of weeks and then they all quit cause some peoples cars where set up better and they didnt want to work on their set up. Vta is not the answer.
Your argument shouldn't be directed at VTA; if new guys won't work on their set-ups, this is an argument against R/C racing across the board.

Maybe, helping out these new guys would be a way to retain them. I read many forums and (in my opinion) the VTA racers seem to be the happiest group of guys currently competing....
Old 03-11-2011, 09:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Wifes, if they just went away there would be a lot more racers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.