Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Gear Diff Front  & Rear V's Spool Front Gear Diff rear. >

Gear Diff Front & Rear V's Spool Front Gear Diff rear.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gear Diff Front & Rear V's Spool Front Gear Diff rear.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 04:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Gear Diff Front & Rear V's Spool Front Gear Diff rear.

With gear diffs nearly available on all TC cars now I've seen allot of the pro's using a gear diff front and rear rather then a spool in the front and gear diff in the rear..

I've seen a gear diff front and rear work very well in all classes but it seems classes lower then mod its more effectively (could be wrong just an observation)..

When setting up your car for a new track.. What kind of tracks lend themselves to using a gear diff in the front and rear? Open Tracks? Tight Tracks? Carpet or Asphalt? or is it just driving preference?

I have read and heard conflicting advice on when to put a gear diff in the front. Some say its only worth doing on a tight track.. others say a spool works better on a tight track and only use a gear on an open track and vice versa. Also heard only use a gear when traction is high.. Or does it only work in classes like 17.5 boosted and slower..

What do some of you guys think and whats your experience with using gear front and rear V spool front gear rear.. would help to know when setting up for a new track with limited time.

Cheers
Old 03-09-2011, 07:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I've been using a gear diff up front for about 2 months now with 500k oil in 17.5 stock rubber TC (decent size carpet track). Tonight in practice I put a spool back in and made some setup adjustments and the car is easily 3-5 tenths faster than it could've been with the gear diff. The spool is just more aggressive and feels better on a smaller tight track (compared to large asphalt tracks) because it has more 'get up and go' and it is easier to get the car loose.

If I were racing on a much larger track, I would run a gear diff. No matter how "off" my setup was, the car was super easy to drive and very forgiving. It held a line well, also. On a large flowing track you don't necessarily need the instant-power feel of a spool since you carry momentum more.

Just my experiences!

I have not ran a gear diff on the rear yet, but I may try it soon.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I run a spool in the front and a diff in the rear..

I found that as mentioned, the car is very aggressive in corners and i can really throw it into the corners..

When i went to a one-way.. WOW.. i could hardly keep it on the track as i was driving it as hard as with a spool.. this effectively gave me rear braking only (like a handbrake)

Diff in the front i found needs much track time to try different oil viscosities, and ended up giving up and going back to the spool.

The track is a fast asphalt
Old 03-09-2011, 09:27 PM
Tech Regular

ya, agree with Strangas and cwoods34. with both front and rear diff the car is very forgiving, easy to drive. I do run 4.5T in my TC6 on mid size asphalt. depend on the layout. If fast layout I usually use both front and rear gear diff with 300k or 500k front, 1500-2000 rear. The car is very stable and will not to "straighten" itself so quick during high speed exit. Only use spool at low speed layout as it offer much quick corner exit. Which may become unstable for some high speed track.... Just my 2 cents.