R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Epic stock motor problem (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/49033-epic-stock-motor-problem.html)

S15Racer 08-30-2004 01:36 PM

Epic stock motor problem

I was out racing the other night when I had probably the weirdest problem I've ever seen with my epic bionary stock. It started running really crappy at the end of the first heat, but I thought it was just my battery. But when it did it again the next heat I knew something was wrong. It was like the pack was dead, about half as fast as it usually is. I tore it down and another racer friend of mine trued the comm for me, or tried to. He showed me that the bit was only contacting one section of the comm. I couldnt figure out how the whole comm could've gotten that out-of-round. I just said just true it until its round, but I haven't run it again since then so I don't know if its going to behave itself again or not. I dont know what happened, I think I hit a board or something but I've never seen a comm go bad like that just from a wall tap. Anyone else had this sort of thing happen to an epic, or really any motor they've raced?

JDXray 08-30-2004 01:51 PM

Something like that happened to me 2 days ago. I asked a friend of mine to cut my monster arm, and arm looked as though the brushes stuck to the arm giving it a burnt look and deformed. After cutting and cutting and his bit was almost used up, i put it in my car and it runs fine now.

Try some less tension on the springs and some good brushes (767 would work) Let us know how it goes.

-Jon

calstarjig90j 08-30-2004 02:49 PM

Maybe your brush hoods might have gone out of line. May want to check if they are aligned.

fatdoggy 08-30-2004 04:38 PM

I've had this happen with two mvp's. The comm segments have lifted. This can be caused from a hung brush while running or a defect. Basically the arm's are garbage once the segments have lifted, the plates will either strip off while running or while your cutting it.

S15Racer 08-30-2004 07:58 PM

Well thats interesting. I was having so trouble with hung brushes with this motor, so thats probably what did it in. But when I got the comm trued the segments didnt shear off. Does that mean I can still run it until it blows? :lol: Could I just use the arm out of my monster in there? Im pretty sure its the exact same arm and my track isnt picky about that kind of thing.

fatdoggy 08-30-2004 10:57 PM

Yer you can keep running it till it blows. :lol: Just make sure that whoever cuts it on a lathe uses a carbide bit so you don't have someone screw up their $80 diamond bit when the segments do totally lift up. ;) If the epic arm is the same as the monster arm I guess you could.

ALBERTO 08-31-2004 06:42 AM

Originally posted by JDXray
Something like that happened to me 2 days ago. I asked a friend of mine to cut my monster arm, and arm looked as though the brushes stuck to the arm giving it a burnt look and deformed. After cutting and cutting and his bit was almost used up, i put it in my car and it runs fine now.

Try some less tension on the springs and some good brushes (767 would work) Let us know how it goes.

-Jon

GEE I WONDER WHO CUT THAT COMM????PERHAPS YOU SHOULD REWARD THE FINE FELLA FOR HIS GOOD AND FREE WORK:nod: :nod: :nod: :lol: :lol:

Javen13 08-31-2004 06:59 AM

:nod: :nod: :nod: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ALBERTO 08-31-2004 07:02 AM

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JDXray 08-31-2004 09:39 AM

LOL ya alberto thanks. Did you get my PM?

ALBERTO 08-31-2004 11:51 AM

pm what pm???????????