Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can anyone clarify what this is?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 12:45 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Can anyone clarify what this is?

I've had this for about 15 years now i bought it off my uncles mate that used to race it, i originally paid him $100 for it to scrap it for parts back in the 90's and i used it once or twice awesome car but it's sat in a closet for many years untouched and decided to dust it off and rebuild it, as it was so long ago i cant remember the specs and what was originally but im guessing this is an associated electrics 1/12 on road electric from about 1986 i believe?

Can you get the foam tyres from these anymore? if so where? also missing the steel rod for the antenna to twist around.

Im in 2 minds at the moment to either go full out with all the latest brushless engines, speed controllers etc, or keep the current yokomo twin cam engine and work around that with as original parts as i can find...

Any info would be great, thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Can anyone clarify what this is?-ae-80s.jpg   Can anyone clarify what this is?-ae-80s-inside.jpg  
Old 03-06-2011, 06:43 AM
Tech Master

That's an AYK EXL 480K, made in 1982.

If you are planning on racing it, be aware that nothing on it is compatible with other makes of car, this includes the spur gears on the unique in axle gear diff used by AYK. Considering the spur gears were destroyed when racing with the motors being used back then, it wouldn't take long to strip the teeth off using modern motors, they are very rare and very expensive when they do appear on ebay.

Tyres are fairly easy to fix, modern tyres are the same size although finding tyres which aren't already mounted on wheels are harder to find these days. Modern wheels juts aren't compatible.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:10 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Don't run it, it's a collectors item and fairly rare. Condition looks excellent, keep it that way.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:09 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

yeah condition of it's very good, the shell's paint is flaking and needs new front tyres, backs arnt to bad, might try to source some old parts for it to get it going and i'll buy the new AE RC12 R5.1 and just use that most of the time.